Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has Anyone completed their Journey

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone is done with their lapband and completed their journey? Have you lost all your weight ? Does the band come off? I am about to get my date for surgery, I was very excited about the surgery,and loosing all my weight. Then I found this website,and see the following:

• These weight lines on the bottom of these posts that show how much there is to go, I havent seen one yet that show's 80-100% of their goals,where are these folks?
  • all the things that can happen with pain,and eating problems, band slipping?

I am not trying to be negative, I want the surgery but some of these posts are freaking me out,and now I am thinking about it with some fear that I didnt have before. Is it possible that the people who have finished their journey are just not on here?

Please advise, Just a bit nervous.

I felt the same way Yo! I was previously on a board with maybe 10 participating posters, one of them a close friend of mine. She has lost over 100 pounds, has maybe 30 to go and doesn't care if she reaches it because she feels so damned good now.

I am pre op, but if it were to take me 5 years to lose 100 pounds, I will feel like it was well worth it. That 5 years will go by anyway, whether or not I am banded.

I too have some reservations, but feel that this is the best and the safest option available to me at this time. I have that added benefit of a close friend who is banded, successful and happy.

I come here for the good the bad and the honest.

Good luck with your decision.

As for now, I am still waiting.

Thanks Paulax,

That does make me feel I am not alone, It just seems like anything you do is a gamble.

You are absolutely correct Yo, it is a gamble. But I feel as though staying 100 pounds overweight is a gamble that I don't often consider enough.

Go read the sticky at the top of the page of the before and after pics. I go there for inspiration and see that every single one of those people who have lost are healthier for it.

Good luck Yo!

Yo, Kool name!

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=4642

Hi! I haven't been banded yet. I'm from Houston Tx. I havent seen any one that has made a goal but I like the talking to the pepole.

I think that people who have reached their goals generally don't need boards like this so they aren't represented. The ones who need to support are the ones in mid-battle! Good luck.

Hi fiveholts714,

Can you tell me something about the surgery. When you got home could you sleep on your side?

Hi all!

Well, I'm not exactly at goal yet, but I'm making my journey at my pace. I'm down 60 lbs in a year and just 25 to go. Your not alone in this journey and as one thread said most people who have lost the weight dont come back on the boards that often anymore. I remember when I first got my band I was on the boards everyday. Now, my band is apart of me and helps me when I am week. I only have a fill of 2.7 and probably could go alittle tighter. but I like how I am losing, not to much to fast and I can still eat ANYTHING I want. There is not anything I can not eat, I just eat less of it. Yes, it could of been faster but I chose not to get tighter. now my mom wants to have it done.

Best of luck in your own journey, and that's exactly what it is a journey! Have peace with yourself!

twinz

There are a few folks who are at goal who participate, but generally, if someone hits goal, and isn't having any trouble staying there, they are off living their life!!

As for complications, just try and keep in mind that people who aren't having complications, don't really need support, you know? That's a pretty generalized statement, and not entirely true, but I'm sure you get my drift.

As for PB's and pain while eating, for the MOST part, that can be controlled by not being too tightly restricted, and make sure to not eat things that disagree with your band. The band can slip, and it can erode, and those can require further surgery. But you just kind of have to weigh that against the complications of the other available surgeries and decide which is best for you.

:confused:

These weight lines on the bottom of these posts that show how much there is to go, I havent seen one yet that show's 80-100% of their goals,where are these folks?

YIKES that's a big font, LOL

The people who have lost weight and reached their goals aren't here. When I've been banded for two years and have lost all of the weight, I doubt I'll be here either. (Unless I decide to get plastic surgery and have a lot of questions.)

We're all here because weight is a problem for us. When it is no longer a problem, the need for support diminishes.

I saw someone today who's ticker said 0 to go... I had to look at it 3 or 4 times to realize SHE'S AT GOAL!! Often folks don't have tickers. If I had one, I'd probably take it out once I made it. But I'll probably put something in big pink or red letters to celebrate!

I did meet a lady last Saturday that was part of the FDA trials. She lost 200+ pounds over a 2 year period & has kept it off for 5 years. That's right, she's been banded for SEVEN YEARS!! She did have a slip & had her band revised last year to the VG band. She's doing great & looks amazing!

Another thread for great motivation is the Century Club: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=16050

Good luck with your decision! :confused:

Over the past 3 years that I have been banded (and about 8 months prior to that while doing my research), I have seen many, many people lose their weight on move off the boards. In my local support group (very small group), there are several who have lost 125 and 160 pounds, with about 20 more to go. It can happen.

Yes, with any surgery, there can be complications. With the band, it doesn't happen often and it is pretty minor compared to other surgeries.

I suggest to fully research exactly what is expected with the band before you get it. Once you know the facts, then some of your fears will go away.

MR. Yo,

I reached goal at 2 years out and I will soon be banded for three years. I dont weigh so I cant tell you exactly what I weigh today, but its within 10-12 pounds of my lowest weight since I am wearing the same clothes for more than a year now. It is a challenge to keep it off and thats what I am dealing with right now. I am happy with my size 14's and 16's and thats what counts. My body seems to be content at the weight I am at now.

Babs in TX

334/180 ish

-154 ish

I am only 20 or so pounds from goal. I was banded almost 20 months ago and have lost almost 70 pounds. I wasn't able to sleep on my side for about 10 days, and then I returned to normal sleep and activity. I think that everyone is correct, the closer people get to goal the more time they spend living life and less time hanging out on the WLS boards. The VG band is the VanGuard band, it is just a larger bnad made by Inamed. Feel free to ask and questions you may have and the people here are great about answering, or PM me and I will do my best to help. ~Mandy