Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fourth Fill and Phentermine

I had Lap Band with Plication May 9th. Since the surgery I've only lost 8 lbs. (my starting weight was 185). Today I had my 4th fill, total of 6.25cc in my band. I told my Dr my current weight loss was minimal, I don't feel any restriction. He gave me a prescription for Phentermine appetite suppressant to "jump start" my weight loss. He also said this fill should put me near the green zone. Has anyone else had their Dr prescribe Phentermine 3 months after surgery?

I thought they didn't use Phentermine anymore. And no my doc did not prescribe anything !!!

I haven't heard of this either.

Just my opinion, but if my bariatric surgeon actually prescribed me Phentermine after having Lap Band surgery, I'd be finding a new doctor.

I just think that's ridiculous. Phentermine is essentially speed. Not only is it hard on your body and heart, but the minute you go off it you gain any weight lost back.

I got the Lap Band so I will never need gimmicks or diet drugs again. The last thing I'd want is a doctor pushing them.

Yikes!! I agree. Phentermine is like speed. I tried it years before my lap band. It made my blood pressure sky rocket. I felt like I was going a million miles an hour. The whole point of the band is to aid you in weight loss. Hopefully you will find your green zone and won't need pharmaceuticals to help.

I agree with y'all!! I told the Dr I prefer not to take the med. I was shocked when he said it. I told him I didn't want to start it because I didn't want to deal with trying to get back off phentermine. I agree, I got the band so I wouldn't have to take a med like this. At this point finding a new Dr is not simple, I'm self-pay and I don't want to lose what I have invested at this office until I get all my fills.

I have a similar situation . I started at a weight of 206 and only lost 30 pounds. I am frustrated. My friend started at 250 now she's thinner then me. But I did get my cortisol level checked and that was high. So check your cortisol level. But there is no magical pill for cortisol so I don't know what else I can do.

Hi. High cortisol levels could mean something more is going on with your body. Such as Cushing's disease? I would ask to see an endocrinologist if ur levels are still high.

I would put the phentamine in the BIN..

The band is a life long journey, it's about changing your eating habits and loosing weight at a steady and HEATHY pace.. Whilst there is a market for phentamine, for me the band was going to end my life of fad diets and stupidity..

Last year I lost a stone and some with the aid of phentamine.... I also nearly lost of hubby and kids!!

I'm been a mental health nurse for 12 years in the uk.. And nothing has brought me as close to being a patient as phentamine...

I wonder is your Dr trying to get his weight record higher for business reasons.. He clearly doesn't understand the life long battles of the banders.!!

So in the words of Ernest Cline I would tell your Doctor

“You could shove it up your ass and pretend you're a corn dog."

My Dr. Prescribed it and it doesn't have the phenphan in it like the 90s pill on the shelves that gave everyone heart problems among other side effects. I didn't take it because I don't like taking drugs or anything for that matter that alters the body. I think it comes down to personal preference and I absolutely trust my surgeon and know he would never prescribe anything that would be detrimental to my health.

If my doctor gave it to me, I would take it. I never had any issue with phentermine other than it knocking out my appetite. I certainly wouldn't want to dump my doctor over him trying to do something to help. That is much better than having a doc that says, "you SHOULD be losing weight. The surgery isn't failing you, YOU are failing the surgery."

I cannot see the point of taking drugs to lose weight and spending money on a band, it's taken me eleven months to reach restriction and to have the start of significant weight loss. I know it's hard but if you can dump the quick fix and give yourself the chance to lose weight the way is band designed to do. I'm sure your doctor gave it to you with the best will in the world but it really is a quick fix and long term won't help you.