Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

esophageal dilation - FREAKING OUT!!!!

A little history first...i got my band in May 2008....within 2 years, I went from 331 to 155! But then started to have problems and found out i had a hernia and some scar tissue, so had to get unfilled and have surgery and start all over again..in the process went back up to 245 :-( I'm currently down to 214 and started having some issues again with a lot of things coming back up. After a doctor, who after i asked him if he did routine 5 year blood work and tests, told me that unless there was a big problem, he didn't do those tests because he didn't want to find something!!! Needless to say, i am now in the process of transferring to another doctor! In order to do this, he required blood work and an upper GI....so got this email from the doctor today and a phone call to up my appointment to Friday which wasn't scheduled until mid September! Here is the email:

Your upper GI X-ray shows that, since the last study, your esophagus has enlarged significantly. This condition is called esophageal dilation or "megaesophagus", and indicates that the band has been too tight for too long. The problem with this is that the esophagus can lose some of its ability to squeeze food forward if it is stretched out for too long. Occasionally, the band can be deflated some to allow the esophagus to recover. In other situations, deflating the band is ineffective at resolving the problem, and the band has to be removed. We can discuss these issues more thoroughly at your upcoming visit with me.

So now i am freaking...scared to death of gaining back what i've lost!!! scared that he'll want to remove it and my insurance won't cover a conversion to something else (which i don't want to do either) but i also don't want to gain any more weight! HELP!!!!!post-215048-13813135368402_thumb.jpg

post-236036-13813142268774_thumb.jpg

Esophageal dilation is a condition not to be ignored, as it can lead to more significant problems later in life. I've just been through a similar dialogue with my two surgeons and PCP.

From what I was advised, the solution to resolve the esophagus issues is dependent on the degree of dilation. It can be caused by your band being too tight, or from overeating on a regular basis. I have a very minor dilation which the surgeon says is not commonly found, and will need to be monitored closely to be certain that it does not become worse.

Do your best to stay calm, and find out what your options are to resolve this issue. You may discover that the options are not as bad as your anxiety driven thinking is making them out to be.

Best wishes for a good resolution of your issue...

I wish you both all the best and ask you to keep us all up to date on your progress and recovery as this is something that could affect all of us, and so we can be a support to you as well.

Chris perhaps you might check with this new doctor to see if he has a nutritionist and/or behavioral person in his practice that might be able to help guide you through the recovery process so you don't gain back any weight. Sometimes having someone to guide us can be a big help.

I am so sorry to hear this. I believe the first step is to unfill for a couple of months to let the esophagus go back to normal. My sureon does an Upper GI yearly to watch for it. In fact, he won't give me a fill without one at this point.

I understand the fear of the unfill. Last year when my band was too tight, we were negotiating the amount to remove.. I wanted less removed than my surgeon wanted to take, of course. He said "you were to tight for so long, I think it should be 0.5cc, had you had any dilation, we'd be talking 3-4cc. You can come back and have more put back, but for now, let things calm down and get feeling better." So, he took 0.5cc.

Positive thoughts flowing your way. Try to believe for the best - if you have to have a revision surgery, we're going to believe now that your insurance will cover it and you'll have even better results than you did with the band.

Hugs

Thank you all for the encouraging comments...I will keep you posted after my appointment on Friday!

Hang in there! I can relate. I just had an upper GI today and found that I have a dilated esophagus too. Mine is quite severe. The only choice is removal of the band. I am scared too about gaining back the weight, but my overall health is more important. I considered revision to the sleeve, but decided against it. My prayers are with you.

Well had my appointment on Friday....the Dr. removed move than half of my fill and told me that I have to be strict about my eating and exercising right now or i WILL gain a lot of weight. He is consulting with my former surgeon and then letting me know the best option. Which he said will probably be removal and conversion to bypass...has anyone had this done?

Christaluv, so sorry to hear about your troubles!

I am curious what your symptoms were? I've been having serious issues lately with food. There is nothing I can eat anymore that doesn't come up almost immediately. I have constant discomfort in my stomach, and it hurts as though I've eaten too much even though I haven't kept food down for days.

When I finally do manage to keep food down, my stomach gets horribly upset. Sadly this has been going on for almost two years, and I have been too embarrassed to see my doctor. (Yes, I am an idiot)

Hoping you get good news on your situation!

Shelly

Christiemr on here did a bypass after band removal. And there are plenty of others. You might check the link in my signature, there are different forums there, not just bands.

Thank you...I will go there and check it out!!!!

What were your symptoms ?

I had a fluoro done a week or so ago and have a slip. THis is due to my own over-eating and getting stuck. My doc says "you tried it, now we need to move forward with a better method" - he submitting to insurance for sleeve conversion. The insurance rep at his office seems to think it will take less than the 6month supervised dieting, etc. b/c I have complications. I'm excited to get the sleeve. I'm ready for permanent weight loss without fills and getting stuck. Keep us posted on your developments and best of luck to you. I'm completely unfilled due to slip and can't imagine waiting 6 months for the sleeve. I'll weigh more than when I started in 08.

Just an update....the dr and I have decided that I will have the revision to the RNY. During this process, I have gained around 40 lbs, which is so discouraging. Hopefully surgery will be scheduled end of November/Early December!

Hi: I had dilated esophagus too . The doctor removed all the fill and after three months, the esophagus is back to normal Now, I will get filled again on Jan 23rd, but I have gained some weight....I feel bad but my health comes first. How are you doing?