Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Horrible candy craving!!!

I had my surgery on Jan 30, 2013. I had lost 36lbs and was doing so great!!! But in the last couple of months I have had this enormous craving for candy. I never used to eat candy on a regular basis. Maybe a piece here and there, but I never bought a whole bag full. Now, I'm addicted to Lindt's White chocolate bars. If I go to the grocery store, I buy them. I've told my husband, no matter what I say, don't buy me any more. I guess I'm gonna have to stay out of the grocery store for a while. Does anyone know how to stop a candy craving? I mean it feels like I'm gonna go crazy if I don't get that candy down!!! H E L P!!!

Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions anyone can give.

Kathy =^..^=

I wonder if you are missing some kind of nutrient that will cause a chocolate or sweet craving? Try searching on the internet and see if you can find any info that relates to your cravings. It may be that if you take the nutrient in a pill form, the cravings may go away. Just guessing here, but check it out.

I think I would call my Nutritionist. One of the criteria my insurance company calls for is that we have a session with a certified nutritionist. She has been great. I think these busy doctors can't be bothered with our little pesky questions. They should all have a good bariatric staff including personnel in this specific area. After all you have gone through to have the band placed and following rules to lose as you have, maybe go the next step and secure (or hire) help to get you beyond the cravings. Love yourself and think of your future healthy life. Wishing you only the best!

Dark chocolate, here! I try not to buy it, too! Sometimes, you have to have a peace tho'! Best wishes!

Also, there are supplements that help reduce sweet cravings....Google - How to stop Sweet Cravings on EHow. Chromium, magnesium, zinc and B Vitamins may all help sweet cravings.

Lots of good advice here.

I wonder if there is something that you might be able to substitute for those candy bars? Maybe a Protein shake that has that flavor? Even if you have to add something to it to get the texture and flavor of that chocolate as it melts in your mouth. Something that doesn’t make you feel bad about having it.

I have been able to do that with chocolate, I'll have a dark chocolate shake or a chocolate caramel and nut flavored Protein Bar and then the craving is gone.

I discribe sugar like a monkey on my back. The more I feed that monkey the tighter it holds on and the more it wants. When I got the band I decided to get rid of that craving that was holding me down and making me sick. I stopped eating sugar, chocolate, cakes Etc the day I started my pre-op diet and it was HARD but now it's so easy. I don't crave or want candy any more and it's such a liberating experience. I was addicted so I had to go cold turkey and it was hard but am so happy I made this a priority. I do sometimes have Greek yogurt and fruit if I need a sweet snack or some other type of fruit but the cravings have gone.

Good luck with whatever works for you. ((Hug))

Hi, you could be lacking in Magnesium, as craving chocolate or sweets can be your bodies way of telling you! Get on Dr google and have a look at food cravings & vitamins......its all very interesting and informative! :-D

... chocolate caramel and nut flavored Protein bar...What brand is the chocolate caramel and nut flavored Protein Bar? That sounds great!!! Thanks! Kathy =^..^=

Attain Bars chocolate Caramel

As Snacks or part of sensible meals, these bars naturally address the root causes of hunger cravings and helps control them at the source to support healthy weight loss.

My Gummy vits, and my calcium chews are my 'replacement' sweets. I get them from costco, and they do it for me. The other thing I'd look into on a serious note is if you are getting sugar in some hidden form. Sweets crave sweet in my body, if I don't have any I don't crave any. Keep us posted, and sorry you are going through this!

Peppermint tea is a great craving-killer for me, partially because it's kind of sweet-ish, but also because the mint seems to short-circuit the sweet craving. It causes a reboot kind of like brushing your teeth.

Also, if the taste of something sweet can satisfy your craving and not feed it, sugar-free Werthers caramel hard candies are wonderfully indulgent-tasting and last a very long time.

Good luck!

... chocolate caramel and nut flavored Protein bar...What brand is the chocolate caramel and nut flavored Protein Bar? That sounds great!!! Thanks! Kathy =^..^=

Atkins has Endulge bars that might satisfy that craving and it is Vitamin and mineral packed to a degree but not as much As a Protein Bar.< /p>

My big, bad addiction was Good N Plenty licorice candy. I used to eat a 6 oz box every 2 to 3 days. It literally was amn addiction but since the band I don't even want it anymore.