Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there, I'm trying to schedule my surgery and would like some input about how long it took you before you went back to work. So, how many days did you need to be out and what kind of job did you have? My surgeon says it's possible to be banded on a Friday and go back to work Mon or Tues if it's a desk job. What do you think? PS I'm a teacher, and no, I'm not waiting til summer again.Thanks for your input!

I would honestly say give yourself a solid week, I have a pretty laid back job - I'm at a desk all day and work at my own pace.

I was banded on a Wednesday and tried to go back the following Monday, after a few hours I realized I was not ready yet and went back home around lunch time - sitting up after a couple of hours was very uncomfortable. I stayed home the following day and went back on Wednesday, I was a bit tired but I made it through the entire day.

I don't know why doctors tell people 3-4 days, that isn't realistic because it isn't until day 4 that you start feeling somewhat normal, definitely not well enough for work though.

I agree with the previous post. I had my surgery on a Friday and went back to my desk job on Wednesday. I was quite uncomfortable sitting up for 8 hours and wished I had taken another day or two off. If you can take a solid week off and make sure you're up and walking alot during that time, you should be good to go. Good Luck!

i had surgery on a wed

and have a desk job and i planned to go back on monday.....i am glad i took that entire next week off......and then the following monday, i was nearly 100% ready....first day or so i did get tired, but just paced myself......everyone is different.. :)

I agree everyone is different. If you have a low tolerance for pain, you may need the week. I had surgery on a Thursday and would have when back on Monday but my wife who had already taken the day off said no way. So it was Tuesday for me, even though I did a little work from home on that Friday.

I did not start feeling better (enough to drive) until day #9. Even then, I got uncomfortable pretty quickly. As a fellow teacher, I'd recommend trying to back it up to a school vacation week to give yourself the suggested 2 weeks for recovery. I would not have been good to go back to work and do my job well at 1 week post-op. I'm a very energetic teacher and am on my feet most of the day.

I do have a high pain tolerance but this really knocked me down. I also had a hernia repair at the same time so I don't know how much worse that made my recovery. I thought my c-section recovery was a breeze. This was much worse!

I was lucky that when I finally decided to do this, it fell right into place to have it done over the summer break. Had it not worked out, I would've waited until the Xmas break to take advantage of that time I'd already have off.

Good luck!!

Wow. Thanks for the honesty. I have had a c-section, so I know the pain. I believe I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but I'll never know til surgery happens.

If I don't do it at the end of Sept. (I have plenty of sick time accued) then I have to wait until Christmas break or completely miss seeing my family at Thanksgiving time (and my grandmother is in her late 90s, so I really want to go).

You've given me lots to think about, thanks.

Wow. Thanks for the honesty. I have had a c-section, so I know the pain. I believe I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but I'll never know til surgery happens.

If I don't do it at the end of Sept. (I have plenty of sick time accued) then I have to wait until Christmas break or completely miss seeing my family at Thanksgiving time (and my grandmother is in her late 90s, so I really want to go).

You've given me lots to think about, thanks.

Not a problem! I didn't want to scare you, I just wanted you to hear another experience. I read about many people going back to work so soon and even met a couple at a support meeting who were only 4 or 5 days post-op. They looked great and said recovery was a breeze. Had I gone on that advice, I would've been in trouble! I experienced a lot of discomfort and nausea and there's no way I could've driven myself to work and gotten through a full day. Teaching is not a desk job and takes more energy and movement than people think!

I had surgery on 7/11 and just went back to work on 8/12! I needed to rest and my job approved the time off so...I took it!!! I felt good going back. I don't know how people go back so quickly. Maybe I'm a softy...well...obviously I'm SOFT!! Lol!!!

I went back after two days to a desk job and honestly felt fine.

I was going to go back in about three days. I have a more physical job. My doc's office suggested that maybe I take more time. Then after the surgery, I was grateful that I did. And let me tell ya, I was sore. There wouldn't have been anyway I could have gone back after 3-4 days. I do believe that I started to feel almost human after about 6-7 days. But, I was tired.

This is surgery. Any surgery your body needs to heal. Take extra time if you're able. Your body really does need to recoop. The only reason people are not in the hospital longer these days is because insurance does not want to pay. They figure you can rest at home.

Looking back I was grateful I did take the time.

I too am a teacher and went back after 4 days. I felt fine. I followed my doctor's instructions to get up and moving and stay moving from day one. My family wasn't allowed to bring me anything (per my doctor), and that made a huge difference I think. Also, the most painful time for me was actually sitting and getting up or down. So, possibly being a teacher and on my feet all day was the reason it was easier. I know that occasionally I would take a break and sit down on those first days, but getting up and walking around was more comfortable. From my experience, I think not having a desk job is a plus in this situation. Good luck!

I am a speech pathologist and work with very active toddlers thru 8 year olds. I have a high tolerance to pain didn't pop a pain pill after being released from the hospital. I had surgery Monday went to mall shopping with teenage nieces Thursday I was exhausted and I usually exhaust them shopping. By the following Wednesday I went back to work part time. Lifting lightly (I do home based therapy as well so I must carry my supplies) and I was fine by Wednesday 10 days after surgery. Good luck

Listen to your body. Your doing a great thing you don't want to make anything go wrong :)

I went back a week after my surgery. I'm a social worker so I never know what my day has in store for me. I felt like I should have taken a few more days to let myself recover fully. Sitting straight up for so long made my incisions bleed and I was beyond exhausted. Let yourself heal from surgery. No need to rush it :)

I was banded on a Friday and back to work on Monday. I do have a desk job. The only issue i had was my chair not giving me the support i needed since i really could not use my core muscles to sit up the right way. That only lasted a couple days.