Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2nd Thoughts About Surgery

I know the band is a tool that will help me keep me on track but in my entire life the only times I lost weight were when I took a pill (Trimspa or a doctor prescribed amino acid pill)...... I've never done it on my own. This past week I lost 18 lbs on the pre-op diet, without cheating and with my head focused on the goal. I've never did that before, I showed myself I have the will power to push it through and not sure if I should post pone the surgery and give it one last go on my own. Is it normal to have the 2nd thoughts? Maybe I found my self motivation in the process? Should I just post pone see if I can give it that one last push on my own...

Wonderful, your weight loss. We have all lost weight on our own but we can't keep it off or all of us would not have had the Band. The band is the tool to help us control our over eating. It works great for me and reminds when I eat too much or too fast and the food gets stuck.

I had second thoughts about 5 minutes before I wheeled into surgery. A lot of people do and I think that is normal. Maybe you're just not ready right now but might be in a month or so.

I am thrilled with my results so far and know I still have a ways to go.

​Good luck with your decision.

I had the same type results on my preop diet. Truth is, the preop diet isnt healthy real long term. For a few weeks its fine. Its a crash diet of sorts and you would probably lose interest in it and return back to your old habits. Thats just my opinion of course. I almost postponed my surgery but am glad I didn't. Its still your choice and I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you.

I felt the same way before my surgery! I was always able to loose weight the problem is I could never keep it off! This tool has not only helped me loose weight but allowed me to maintain weight loss. Although I am not at my goal after 5 years I have kept 70+pounds off for the last 2, and to be honest have not tried very hard for those last 2 years. I don't regret this decision!

I had the same thoughts but what the band does is help with the process . Takes care of that urge to overeat, and those times when we get hungry and lose our self control . I was banded may 29th and down 46 pounds already . Yes I have to be focused everyday and make smart choices but the band is a wonderful tool to keep my appetite and desire to overeat at bay. I wonder now why it took me so long to decide to do it!! I love my band. Goodluck to u and just know the band is a tool to a healthier happier life!!! I have so much energy and am getting my life back. My life does not focus around food anymore !!! Goodluck and stay the course. Lori

I read that the feelings you are having are very normal. Also, afterwards there may be a buyers remorse feeling as well. Thankfully, I know that these feelings are normal and don't let them bother me. It's up to you. How many diets have you tried? I know I have tried them all and lost and gained far too many times and this time I am going to make it permanent!

Thanks everyone for their feedback. I haven't tried any diets to be honest with you in my life time, I always looked for the easy way to lose weight (any pill I saw, I'd buy it). Doing this pre-op diet I guess sparked a motivation to try it on my own before I go for the surgery. I think my best bet may be to post pone for a month or 2 and give it a last REAL effort

Thanks everyone for their feedback. I haven't tried any diets to be honest with you in my life time' date=' I always looked for the easy way to lose weight (any pill I saw, I'd buy it). Doing this pre-op diet I guess sparked a motivation to try it on my own before I go for the surgery. I think my best bet may be to post pone for a month or 2 and give it a last REAL effort[/quote']

Ok, but don't put it off forever. We keep making excuses I'll start my diet tomorrow or I'll start it on Monday. I was banded during the Christmas holiday season and I was going to wait until after the holidays but then I thought, it's now or never and I was banded on 12/28/12. I had no more excuses so I hope you keep your word and don't keep putting it off. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck!

I had the same thoughts! I was on a pre-op diet for four weeks and although I had a few slip ups, I still managed to lose 23lbs. And I started to think if I could do that, I could probably do it on my own. I even asked the same question as you on this forum. But then I realised that I had had many years of trying to do it on my own and failed. And my fear was what had me looking for an "out". I am now twelve days post being banded and am so glad I did it. The first seven days afterwards were hard, but now I feel great. Unless I press hard on my port, I wouldn't even know I'd had the surgery. I've lost another 11 pounds since the surgery (34lbs total) and am satisfied with eating 4 small meals a day. I would never have been satisfied with eating such a small amount prior. Good luck :)

I would definitely give it a real try first, if you have never really tried. If anything it will teach you how to eat normally/properly. Try Weight Watchers, it is easy and taught me a lot about food portions, choices, etc.

Its perfectly normal to have second thoughts and the choice is yours to make but for me personally I did it on my own a thousand times and regained it all back a thousand times. I am a newly banded but I can tell you that so far so good and the difference is I am no longer craving food I hardly think about it which makes a HUGE difference , diets leave me hungry and cranky band so far not at all down 27 pounds since pre op with out feeling deprived or hungry.

The reality is we can't stay on a liquid diet forever! I truly felt the same when I started losing preop but knew it would be short lived and when u start introducing solids again the weight loss slows unless able to keep portions at a minimum. Just really think it through. For me I did not want to prolong getting healthy and starting a new life anymore , I wanted to begin ASAP!!! Now I'm few months post op and have no regrets !!! On my way to a new me. Life is short and I wanted to start living again!!! Think it through. Sorry but when u feel so good u want to share that feeling with people so they too can feel it.

Thank you everyone, but i'll be honest I never really tried, and the fact that I'm finding it easy to control my eating, I understand the hindsight for everyone is pro-surgery.

I actually went to buy my wife a slice of pizza and had no urge whatsoever to get myself one, I sit around colleagues who eat their lunch and have no urge to run and grab a sandwich. I'm finding it easy to control myself right now and i think if I give a real effort (i never gave an effort, i can assure you that) I may be able to do something that I've never done before. I'm also 26 years old, this surgery option will always be there, if I see in a month or 2 that I'm not controlling myself and the weight isn't coming off, I'll probably get the surgery.

I had second thoughts, and Kinda now regret I didn't do it when I was supposed to. I thought I could do it on my own.

I have no regrets...!!! I'm off all meds!!!

Also, I think the no carb diet, kinda kills cravings too!!! Plus, they pretty much are bad for ya

I think WLS should be a last resort, so if you believe you can do this on your own, I say go for it!

For me, I certainly had the will power to stay on the pre-op diet. I had the will power to lose before my band was restricted, I lost all my weight and kept it off. But when my band started leaking I gained 35lbs so easily that it shocked me. I lost 15 of those pounds without the band's help leading up to my band replacement and did question whether I needed to have my band replaced at all.

I did though because for me, keeping the weight off with the band is MUCH easier. I like not fighting hunger. When my band was leaking, I was still eating well and avoiding junk (or I would have gained FAR more than 35lbs in a year) but the weight slowly crept back on nonetheless just because my portions got bigger. Now I don't have to work to not gain/keep it off because the band helps remind me what my portions should look like.