Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery 8-26 and I had to cheat on pre-op! Help!

Hi everyone! My surgery is 8-26 and I'm on the two week pre op diet. My diet is Medifast Protein supplements. Unfortunately, I had to travel unexpectedly this week for work. I had to go to dinner with my VP and I ate grilled chicken, coleslaw and broccoli. Yesterday, I was in a conference and couldn't leave for lunch to make my shake, and they brought in wraps. I'm so worried that my doctor will have to open me up! I have promised my little girl that I'm taking her to Disney in September, so now I'm worries that they won't be able to do it laparoscopically. Has anyone dealt with this? Please help!

It would help to add my BMI is 45 and I've stayed consistent throughout....

The preop diet is help shrink the liver to prevent complications. Some docs dont require it at all. You should be ok, but I'd get back on the preop diet and stick to it. Don't make any excuses, be prepared and keep your vision in front of you. At least, thats the way I did it. You still have 10 days, I only had 12 preop diet to begin with.

But just remember, you'll run into the same type obstacles post op and you need to have a plan.

On my pre-op I had 2 shakes a day and then for dinner it was veggies and 4 oz Protein. So according to my diet, you were fine. Maybe ask your dietitian or doctor.

Good luck with the surgery.

As for going to Disney, will you be strong enough to walk that much so soon after surgery? I would wait until you can eat real food. But then disappointing a child stinks.

What we eat, at the bottom line, is always a choice we make. The mindset that you " had to cheat" is inaccurate thinking. It is more accurate to tell yourself that I was in a situation where I felt I should have the meal than attempt to answer any questions about why I was not eating a meal.

I hosted a luncheon for my woman's club 3 days before my surgery. I had not told anyone of my surgery, and as I watched them enjoy their 3 course lunch I was content with sipping ice Water. I chose to continue to follow my pre op instructions.

I'm not trying to be harsh, but success with a band has much to do with our mind set. Giving yourself permission to not follow the rules once may lead to the slippery slope of rationalizing and justifying other episodes of so called cheating.

It's all about self determination and the choices we make.

My surgery is the SAME DAY...lets keep in touch. I will be keeping you in thought and prayer, and please do the same for me. Stopped all sugar today and carbonated beverages. Tomorrow, no bread, ...thn all next wek I will begin th Protein Drinks. And Water. I just hope I can stick with this. Right now I am so determined. You will be fine, I just know it. ust concentrate of the future of your kids and how you will feel and look while walking them down the aisle, seeing your grandkids, and feeling so great all the while.

Soujourney, while I appreciate the judgement, you don't know my story. I work in manufacturing before, and I'm the only woman on a team of all men. It WOULD have been pointed out had I not eaten. I've reduced my travel to 10% after the surgery, so I've eliminated the chance of this happening again.

You will be fine :) I was banded 12 days ago and had a four week pre-op diet. I had several occasions were I messed up and was worried the day of surgery, but everything was fine. I even asked my doc if my liver had given him grief because it hadn't shrink enough. But he said there was no problem and he didn't have any difficulty. Its hard when we have busy lives that sometimes mean we have no choice but to eat something other than a shake. It sounds like you made the healthiest choice available so pat yourself on the back. I'm confident that all of the hard work you have put in will pay off for you. We are only human and I think that eating something sensible is better than going hungry and eating something we shouldn't later. For me if I'm really hungry, that's when I make unhealthy choices. Please don't punish yourself anymore, you are obviously committed to your weight loss journey. Good luck :)

You should be fine. I wouldn't be so hard on yourself.

On my pre-op I had 2 shakes a day and then for dinner it was veggies and 4 oz Protein. So according to my diet' date=' you were fine. Maybe ask your dietitian or doctor.

Good luck with the surgery.

As for going to Disney, will you be strong enough to walk that much so soon after surgery? I would wait until you can eat real food. But then disappointing a child stinks.[/quote']

Dylan, I worried the same thing! My doctor said I would be fine? I'm perfectly healthy other then my weight.

Thanks you guys, I'm a worrier so I'm scared right now!

I did the full medifast for my preop diet. It allowed for one "Lean and Green" meal. I didn't realize that the first time I ate a chicken salad on day 2. Then I read the Medifast documentation. You made a choice based on the situation at hand. That is what life is, a series of decisions.

You could have chosen cherry cheesecake. You didn't. But, for the remainder of the pre-op, consider keeping Water and shake mix with you. Can you not excuse yourself from the main group of people to go somewhere private-ish and mix a shake? Slam it down, then go back to the group.

I know I am not in your situation, but you have to find ways to make it work. Best wishes for your upcoming surgery!

As for the Disneyland trip, I am 12 days post surgery and feel great! I would have no worries walking Disneyland :)

Hi everyone! My surgery is 8-26 and I'm on the two week pre op diet. My diet is Medifast Protein supplements. Unfortunately' date=' I had to travel unexpectedly this week for work. I had to go to dinner with my VP and I ate grilled chicken, coleslaw and broccoli. Yesterday, I was in a conference and couldn't leave for lunch to make my shake, and they brought in wraps. I'm so worried that my doctor will have to open me up! I have promised my little girl that I'm taking her to Disney in September, so now I'm worries that they won't be able to do it laparoscopically. Has anyone dealt with this? Please help![/quote']

I have surgery the 22nd and am very nervous

I have surgery the 22nd and am very nervous

You will do GREAT! Will you private message me to let me know how you're doing?