Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lying About LapBand

I wonder what everyones views is on this. I personally tell everyone I am going for LapBand, I'm a naturally lazy person so if I start losing weight drastically with no gym membership, I don't assume people are stupid.

I know a few people who have either done band or sleeve and they don't tell ANYONE about the surgery they just make people think they lost weight naturally on their own.

What does everyone think about people who lie about going for surgery? Does everyone you know, know about your surgery? What about the surgery embarasses people that they feel the need to hide it?

I think that disclosure is a personal thing. I've told people and my family and friends know. I don't think there is anything wrong with not telling people however! Most of us have been plagued with weight issues our entire lives and don't want or need outside input to our decisions! And at the end of the day, the band doesn't lose the weight WE do!

I don't have any problem with anything that people need to keep to themselves, as for me I told only a select few and fibbed to everyone else.

I think that people have failed so many times that even a slim chance of failure and the rejection and the feelings that come with it have people keeping the surgery to themselves! The people I did not what to know anything, I told them that my surgery was for a hernia.

I told a lot of people but not everyone. If I am asked however I will be honest and upfront. It is hard to hide the fact I lost 220+ pounds in under 2 years. My reasoning behind not wanting to broadcast it originally is because I was afraid of failure and being known as the fat guy who couldn't even lose weight with WLS.

Not afraid of that anymore and I will talk up how the band added years back to my life. It is a very personal decision to share with people but once you put it out there it cannot be taken back. I always tell people to give that some good thought before hastily offering up the info.

I would say it really is no one elses business, so I have no problem with someone withholding the fact that they had WLS. The misconception that WLS is a easy way out is real... I have been told, oh I thought you were losing weight through hard work. But that doesnt bother me. Personally I like telling people and will continue for anyone who asks.

The reason I got the band is because someone else shared that they had WLS. Maybe me sharing willl change someone elses life.

if you are losing weight (with the help of any WLS) one is eating better and hopefully exercising.....that is not a lie as its the truth....so what if we have a white necklace attached to our tummy.....our business...tell or not tell, that is everyone's on private choice to do or not do...but if you do tell, head up and brag on yourself..

At the end of the day it is your health, your life and you have only one pass it. I don't really care what most people think of me. I am no longer a walking time bomb.

(raising hand) I am one of those 'liars' ahhahaha. There's only 3 people who know I have the band (mom, MIL and my hubby...oh and of course everyone here). I have a long list of reasons for not disclosing:

1) It's kind of like disclosing your sexuality- why is it your business and why do you care LOL

2) I am not interested in educating every individual I encounter as to what the band is, why I did it, how it works, drawing diagrams etc..because you know that's exactly what will happen

3) I am not interested in the feedback. Too many people go into lecture mode, are judgemental, etc and you don't know which ones are which until you share this kind of info. A great test...ask them in a general convo what do you think about people who get wls? what about less invasive ones like the band? and see what you get. I'm not interested in being anyone's target for the sake of 'conversation'

4) I, unlike most people here, have been fortunate to have moved around a bit. This is a blessing in disguise because I've never been anyone long enough for people to see the heeps of weight pooring off of me. There was nothing to justify. People would see small drops and this is easily accomplished through healthier eating habits.

Now with that being said, on the very rare occassion if someone is discussing getting wls, or feels hopelessly obese etc..I will share my story with them in hopes to give them an option or simply to educate them if they have q's on their own surgery. I am not ashamed of having wls, but to me, it's just not something I have to share

At the end of the day it is your health, your life and you have only one pass it. I don't really care what most people think of me. I am no longer a walking time bomb.

but you are the bomb to me :wub:

(raising hand) I am one of those 'liars' ahhahaha. There's only 3 people who know I have the band (mom' date=' MIL and my hubby...oh and of course everyone here). I have a long list of reasons for not disclosing:

1) It's kind of like disclosing your sexuality- why is it your business and why do you care LOL

2) I am not interested in educating every individual I encounter as to what the band is, why I did it, how it works, drawing diagrams etc..because you know that's exactly what will happen

3) I am not interested in the feedback. Too many people go into lecture mode, are judgemental, etc and you don't know which ones are which until you share this kind of info. A great test...ask them in a general convo what do you think about people who get wls? what about less invasive ones like the band? and see what you get. I'm not interested in being anyone's target for the sake of 'conversation'

4) I, unlike most people here, have been fortunate to have moved around a bit. This is a blessing in disguise because I've never been anyone long enough for people to see the heeps of weight pooring off of me. There was nothing to justify. People would see small drops and this is easily accomplished through healthier eating habits.

Now with that being said, on the very rare occassion if someone is discussing getting wls, or feels hopelessly obese etc..I will share my story with them in hopes to give them an option or simply to educate them if they have q's on their own surgery. I am not ashamed of having wls, but to me, it's just not something I have to share[/quote']

#2 is so true! Lol. Most people really do not understand how the band works.

I have chosen not to tell. My mom, husband and kids ate the only ones who know. I know other family members would show up at my door with milk shakes and crap I don't need "to help me recover" since I can't eat. I also don't need their negativity (someone they know knew someone who had surgery and was walking down the street and a truck fell out of a window and killed them.... Because they had WLS). If asked after surgery, I wouldn't deny it.... But am not advertising. When anyone asks right now, I am having a stomach procedure..... Nothing more.

I told a lot of people but not everyone. If I am asked however I will be honest and upfront. It is hard to hide the fact I lost 220+ pounds in under 2 years. My reasoning behind not wanting to broadcast it originally is because I was afraid of failure and being known as the fat guy who couldn't even lose weight with WLS.

Not afraid of that anymore and I will talk up how the band added years back to my life. It is a very personal decision to share with people but once you put it out there it cannot be taken back. I always tell people to give that some good thought before hastily offering up the info.

I was going to respond...but your response is pretty much exactly what I was going to say!

It's such a personal decision to tell or not to tell. I have only told a handful of people, and I don't see it as lying to those that don't know. I AM doing all the work to lose this weight, with my band is there as a tool!! To me, it's no different than someone using weight watchers, or having nutrisystem meals delivered, taking diet pills, or even a gym membership...all tools to HELP with weightloss. only difference is mine is with me all.the.time. I can, however, choose to ignore it all the same as all those other tools if I really want to (and trust me, there have been days I HAVE done that, shamefully). When someone asks me how I'm losing the weight, I am NOT lying when I say I'm eating smaller portions, and making healthier choices...*I* am doing that, my band doesn't stop me from eating crap foods like ice cream and cupcakes, *I* do. It may tell me 'woah, you're eating a little too much', but I'm the one that has to stop filling my face! You don't get the band placed and magically lose weight (wouldn't that be fabulous, though??) It takes work, and commitment.

i suppose if someone straight up asked me if I had wls, i would tell them...otherwise, I'm losing weight the same way everyone else has to. There is no magic, easy cure to weightloss, no matter what people want to believe.

I have not told anyone. And everyone has noticed I do find it a struggle to come up with reasons however 6 months ago I went through a tough break up and now dating so that accounts from some "reasons". My one girlfriend I had to tell becuase she thought I had an eating disorder. Honestly I don't want anyone in my business where that is concerned if i want to eat whatever I have no one breathing down my back saying can you eat that? Also I was VERY slow to start losing and was in band hell for a long time and i knew if people knew they wouldn't undertsand why I wasn't losing after paying all that money. So personal choice but for me it is more difficult to keep it to yourself but I have no disire to share.