Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting my Journey Today

I made the decision a few months ago to get lap band, my surgery is scheduled for August 26th and today I have to start my 2 week pre-op liquid diet, which is basically 4 Muscle-Milk Light's a day. Not sure how it's going to be going from eating anything and everything whenever I wanted to these 4 "ehhh" tasting drinks a day. I'm assuming these 2 weeks will be the worst as trying to "starve yourself" with your normal stomach is harder than eating less with a band.

What was everyones experiences with their pre-op restrictions and what advice can you give me starting out?

Hello and welcome! Not going to lie...the pre-op diet is HARD, both physically and mentally but it CAN be done. Try to focus on the end result, drink plenty of Water and keep yourself busy. Best wishes to you and your new journey. :)

Best wishes and keep the faith!

I didn't have to do the preop diet but I just wanted to wish you g'luck on your surgery and congrats on your decision to get banded. There's no doubt the preop diet will be a challenge. Only advice I can give you is to stay preoccupied to get your mind off food (or the lack thereof). If there was every a time to start a DIY project, this is it ahhaha

I found that the first three days and the last three were the hardest... The days in between were a little easy, as I didn't experience much hunger or thought about food that much. Just picture you FATTY liver, and how it can complicate surgery.... For sure that will help you stay the course. CONGRATZ & see ya on the BANDits side!!

I just got my surgery last week. Yes, the pre-op diet was HARD, I found crushed ice helped me. I munched on it throughout the day, so it felt like I was eating something. I also ice cubes out of crystal light, so when eating them they actually had a flavor to them. I lost 10 lbs on the prep diet.

I had to do the two week prep because of fatty liver. I felt fine a couple of days after surgery. Can only imagine how long recovery might have been (or how painful) if the liver hadn't shrunk and they would have had to "push" it out of the way.

I started my "ticker" at the weight I was at time of surgery. One week and already 11 lbs gone. Now when I feel the urge to cheat on the post-op diet, i just look at that and see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Stay strong, we're all here for you.

Welcome and best wishes to you! My doctor had me make my Protein Shakes with milk, thus is was a bit more filling. I had lost 176 prior to my banding thus I did not have to do the 2 week pre-op diet just one day and 2 weeks post op. But let me tell you the best way to get the shakes down is to get them nice and cold!

I know its not easy, but I will tell you this......ITS WORTH IT.....and so are YOU!!!! Hang Tough!

Thanks everyone. Today is pretty hard I have to admit. I had 3 Muscle Milk Lights (didn't finish them, I can't find the stomach to finish it) and 2 cups of lettuce with a little vinegar. My stomach is screaming at me, don't know how I can do this for another 13 days. What did you guys do to get by?

You can do it! It gets easier every day , best of luck

I made the decision a few months ago to get lap band, my surgery is scheduled for August 26th and today I have to start my 2 week pre-op liquid diet, which is basically 4 Muscle-Milk Light's a day. Not sure how it's going to be going from eating anything and everything whenever I wanted to these 4 "ehhh" tasting drinks a day. I'm assuming these 2 weeks will be the worst as trying to "starve yourself" with your normal stomach is harder than eating less with a band.

What was everyones experiences with their pre-op restrictions and what advice can you give me starting out?

Don't think of it as starving yourself, think of it as the beginning of a healthy life. No it is not easy, but nothing worth it in life is and believe me it is worth it! You can make it through these next two weeks just keep that big picture in mind (& stay busy....I cleaned out every closet in my house during the pre op diet),

Good luck you can do this!!

I found the first three days the hardest. I haven't tried the muscle milk but the Premier Protein in chocolate is fantastic. I looked forward to my shakes!! You can do this!!

Actually, I found the Optifast diet very easy and I had no problem but I was psyched up for it. I started my pre-op on 12/14/12 right in the heart of the holiday season. I could have postponed my surgery but I figured it was now or never. It was no more I'll start my diet tomorrow or Monday so I was so psyched up for it that it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

Best of luck to you and you can do this!

You can go to sleep early...!!! You can ask your primary doctor to prescribe phentermine, it suppresses your appetite & that can help you throughout these tough days. Also, adding a 5th shake wouldn't hurt, IMO.

Thanks everyone. Today is pretty hard I have to admit. I had 3 Muscle Milk Lights (didn't finish them' date=' I can't find the stomach to finish it) and 2 cups of lettuce with a little vinegar. My stomach is screaming at me, don't know how I can do this for another 13 days. What did you guys do to get by?[/quote']

During my liquor diet I went and got a juicer . I juiced kale, celery, 1 green apple, spinach, and parsley, just the juice, not the Fiber . This can help you feel less tired and the Vitamins and minerals will give you a boost.

Check with your doctor first !!!

Good luck to you, best wishes. Take Csre.