Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein shakes - Hard to choose

I will be starting my 4-per-day Protein shakes and Clear liquids in about 2 weeks. I have been researching some of the different shakes available, including ready to drink and powders.My doctor says I can have any shake that is 200 calories or less. Also, since I have to live on them for 4 weeks, I want them to taste good and help me feel satisfied. I have been looking at grams of Protein, grams of Fiber, calories, and cost. There seems to be a wide variety in all of these factors.

I know I need protein, but the ones I have seen range from 10-30 grams per serving. Does more protein make you feel less hungry?

Also, how important is the amount of Fiber?

It is nice to have choices, but there are almost too many out there. I would like to stock up on them, and buy in bulk to lower the cost. I would appreciate any info or advice.

For bariatric purposes, it is the quality of the Protein which matters. There are many options available, and it is important for you to find one or more options which you like, because even post banding, it will be necessary to periodically use Protein shakes for a day or two, especially after getting a fill.

whey isolate Protein is considered to be a "complete protein", as it includes all of the amino acids which our bodies require for proper nutrition. I made it a priority for me to discover one that I liked.

I use the Wheybolic Extreme from GNC, I prefer the chocolate flavor. I like shopping with GNC as they have a liberal product return policy, so you really are trying their products without fear of spending money on something you don't like.

There are other choices for whey isolate protein products...but whatever your choice be certain to check which type of protein they contain.

As for Fiber, I take a Fiber Choice supplement which is the one my surgeon recommended. Fiber is important to try to avoid Constipation which is common with a radical change in eating habits such as the pre and post op liquid diet.

Best wishes for a successful journey...

Good luck with your new journey. Best thing I have done for me in many years. I buy Body Fortress. The best price is Walmart. I use 8 ounces of FF milk, 1 scoop of chocolate Protein Powder, a little Decaf instant coffee, a little peppermint extract and tons of ice and it becomes as thick and as good as a McDonald's shake. I have one for Breakfast every day since March, 2012. I have a small Hamilton Beach blender that is also the drinking cup. The way I said the ingredients is the way I put them in the blender. I have small ice cube trays and use a whole tray of ice in each shake.

Lots of luck. I just had my 1 year and never looked back.

I tried many & my personal fave is GNC Total Lean, 170 calories/25 grams Protein/6 grams carbs/3 grams fiber & 25% of daily Vitamins. They have ready made in either vanilla, chocolate & strawberry (!4 ounces I think), plus they have assorted other flavors in the powders. I used ready made only because I'm lazy LOL. I found they tasted very good, were creamy & kept me quite satisfied. I still choose them as a Meal Replacement sometimes when a shake is more convenient because I genuinely like them.

I use Premier Protein - I've tried both the vanilla and chocolate. They're pretty good and I like that they have 30 grams of Protein and 160 calories. I use the ready to drink version.

I use Bariatric Advantage Meal Replacement shakes they are 150 calories and 1 gram of sugar. It really helped me feel full during pre and post-op. You can find it on BariatricAdvantage.com, Check it out. I also like Syntrax nectar you can find them there too.

~~~Stephanie

I use Premier Protein - I've tried both the vanilla and chocolate. They're pretty good and I like that they have 30 grams of Protein and 160 calories. I use the ready to drink version.

Same here. Can only find them at SAMs club. 30 gm protein. I never got hungry preop.

I like Chike Protein Shakes. They are a Meal Replacements. They sell them at my doctors office or online at ilikechike.com. 190 calories and 27 grams of Protein. Low in sugar.

I also use Premier ready to drink shakes and I get them at costco and Sam's. I also use Jay Robb powdered Protein mix. I get that at Kroger. They sell several flavors including chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, and orangesicle (which tasted like a pushpop), all of which are a whey protein isolate. Like Sojourner said, a whey protein isolate drink is like getting a full meal deal. It gives you all of your amino acids, lots of Vitamins, and is really great for bariatric patients. I use almond milk instead of ff milk. I use Almond Breeze - 60 calories. I also use frozen fruit instead of ice. There is all kinds out there, and basically you just have to find one that works for you. Best wishes.

I started using powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury during my preop and i haven't used another. In fact i have1/2 scoop every morning in my iced coffee to boost Protein.

You can buy SF syrups to change the flavors up (recommend torani). Plus Unjury has a chicken broth protien powder that can be used in place of shakes.

And as long as you Dont use liquids over 140 degrees you can mix chocolate with warm milk/silk/water to make hot chocolate as a shake alternative.

Good luck.