Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Morning Rant...

Just to get this off my chest....it's 3 am and this is just a early morning rant....

It is not my place to say what is right or wrong, different things work for different people....but I am old school....the less calories in, the more you will loose...it's that simple.

Why would everyone preach exercising to burn calories? And then turn around and say now you have to eat more? And use the argument / excuse about metabolism levels, etc...does anyone here know how to measure that?

I read here everyday about people trying to reach their calorie goals....people saying to eat more to loose more. Personally, myself, I have always found that one humorous...if it were true there would not be any overweight people in the world.....

I also like all the posts where people ask "Can I eat this?" I don't know, can you? I am not even sure what people are asking most of the time.....

If these people are successful then I cannot argue with what works and has brought someone to the conclusion of a successful journey...

I quit counting calories about 6-8 weeks after surgery...with the blessing of my Surgeon and the Nut....I was getting so wrapped up into the whole process using downloaded apps, etc, I was getting dizzy......it was liberating when I got away from all that and started to understand that for me, this is a practice for a lifestyle, not another diet....

They also said only eat when I am genuinely hungry, and then eat good healthy foods, and listen to your band to know when to stop eating.........and exercise as much as possible to burn calories and fat....

Everyday, I read post after post about how many calories this and how many calories that...I have absolutely no idea how many calories I consume. I'm sure some days it is very high, and some days it is next to nothing, especially when you factor in calories burned from exercising.

That has been my recipe to success, and still follow it today as a lifestyle, not a diet plan....with the band in the background doing it's job 24 hours a day.

Other people have had success using different philosophies...and that's great...you cannot argue with success.

But it's the people who are struggling, not loosing the weight, cannot control their hunger, been banded a very short time, and yet have all the answers and tell other people how it is supposed to be done...incredible.

But like I said, if it worked for you then that IS the the right way.....

The best advice I was ever given was a long time ago by a Dr...he said I was fat because I ate too much...there it is..the secret of life...want to loose weight? Don't eat so much...Not loosing? You're eating too much...don't try to hide it with all the hypothetical verbage crap...

I was also once told, somewhere in one of the 100's of diets I've been on, that people will come up with just about anything to still find ways to eat...

I have tried once or twice to use an app such as my fitness pal and it makes no difference to my weight. I find it time consuming and annoying. I didn't get a lapband so that i could spend the rest of my life weighing and measuring and logging food. As to how many calories in a chocolate bar the answer to that is easy - too many but hell if I have decided I am going to eat one then I will regardless !

But as you say each person has their own way of doing things and each person needs to work out what works best for them.

I have now been banded 4 years and yes I have gained a little in that time. My lowest was 50kg , I now sit around 53kg. However as that is well within the normal BMI range for my height and age I don't think I can complain too much. I would love to lose those 3kg again but i am also realistic - I am older now and menopausal which makes it harder to maintain the very low weight.

I just live my life and eat "what I want" (within reason). I go out with friends, I eat cake, I have chocolate, a glass of wine etc. So essentially the band must be working for me the way it is supposed to.

I don't count calories when my band is working either. I let my band control my hunger and I control what I put in my mouth and it all works out fine.

I guess for some the whole calorie counting thing works for them. Like you B-52 I don't knock it. I can actually see some good in it in that it can teach someone who has no clue what is actually in their food but I can't see doing it for a lifetime.

Though I will stand by the science that if you are in a BIG calorie deficit, you will lose weight, it just won't all be fat, but muscle too. That's a fact. If you want to gain or keep muscle, it won't happen while on a large calorie deficit. But when losing with the band, muscle growth is often not the goal, so it doesn't really matter I guess if a new bandster is eating only a small number of calories per day. It only matters if, like me, you're trying to actually build muscle.

I don't count calories when my band is working either. I let my band control my hunger and I control what I put in my mouth and it all works out fine.

I guess for some the whole calorie counting thing works for them. Like you B-52 I don't knock it. I can actually see some good in it in that it can teach someone who has no clue what is actually in their food but I can't see doing it for a lifetime.

Though I will stand by the science that if you are in a BIG calorie deficit, you will lose weight, it just won't all be fat, but muscle too. That's a fact. If you want to gain or keep muscle, it won't happen while on a large calorie deficit. But when losing with the band, muscle growth is often not the goal, so it doesn't really matter I guess if a new bandster is eating only a small number of calories per day. It only matters if, like me, you're trying to actually build muscle.

True...but that is why Protein is so important and stressed so much, to anyone on a low calories regime...protein will protect not just muscle, but also the breakdown of other important body organs and promote cell growth and repair...(along with water)

I don't count calories, but I DO Count Protein....I know what I'm getting every day....

At my gym, everybody walks around with a Protein shaker, and they also have a "juice Bar" where I buy a high protein smoothie after my workout for recovery. I also have a little protein supplement before my workout...not food, just the protein...

Lol yes, I was having this conversation just recently with a friend. Not all calories are created equal in that 200 of calories in processed sugar is not the same as 200 calories of Protein in its effect on your body, but I'd like to think that someone who was building muscle would know that, as you and I obviously do.

I was talking more about the effects of being in extreme calorie deficit and its effect on muscle. I think wls patients naturally lean towards extreme calorie deficit (eating net cals of 500 - 800 cals, whatever the make-up of that is) and this is what helps them to lose weight but the fact is, on that amount of calories you will be losing not just fat but muscle. At the rate that your body absorbs Protein that you ingest, you can't replace the protein fast enough to stop that. So if someone's interest wasn't in losing, but in gaining muscle, being in extreme calorie deficit is counter-productive to that.

If someone is trying to build a muscular body, being on 500 cals a day will keep them slim but will not get them big.

Good morning B-52 & lello-

This is a really great conversation and sincerely there is a lot of wisdom in what you've both said. I read your earlier post B-52, slightly embarrassed after just responding to a post with a lengthy reply about how helpful MyFitnessPal has been to me. Ideally, I hope to be where you both are at some point ... and don't get me wrong I know you aren't knocking what works successfully for others ... I'm just not there yet, but I know what you say is very true and quite simple ... eat less, eat well and eat right and be active ... all the things a body needs to be healthy and to thrive. On the flip side ... until achieving that discipline it's a tool that's helpful to getting to where you are :)

Congrats on your success ladies, and have a great weekend!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using LapBandTalk

The best advice I was ever given was a long time ago by a Dr...he said I was fat because I ate too much...there it is..the secret of life...want to loose weight? Don't eat so much...Not loosing? You're eating too much...don't try to hide it with all the hypothetical verbage crap...

I was also once told, somewhere in one of the 100's of diets I've been on, that people will come up with just about anything to still find ways to eat...

I love your posts B-52, and hope to be where you and Lellow are one day, just got back from a week of vacation where I never opened MFP once and it was great, BUT now that I am back in the real world I'm a grazer, and if I don't log, I don't lose. Yup, my band controls my hunger, it is fantastic, but if I only ate when I was hungry, I wouldn't be fat :D There are many of us who never learned to listen to our bodies signals when it came to food, I am one of them. I hope to learn that skill, but truthfully if I have to log until the day I die in order to weigh what I want, then I can accept that. ;)

Man, not so sure I agree.

Take aside my own personal philosophies and practices, there is more than just one tool to facilitate wl. I think it is extremely important to not only hilite that fat people=overeaters but that many fat people are also uneducated on how to eat healthy. I am not assuming everyone here is an overeating ignorant beings LOL, rather the reality is they can be one or both. I find that most of the education patient's receive is very specific to the band and transitioning them to solids. I know my guidelines were very vague and certainly was not an education. So for some, they still lack the education. For others, they have the education but now they are implementing it for the very first time. Tools like weight management logs, apps, calorie logging etc is a way to be accountable by understanding what goes in mouth may result in a loss or gain. They need to understand the relationship between the foods they eat and the outcome of that choice. Naturally, with time, they will become versed in that relationship and most will no longer needs their apps etc. That timeline is different for everyone and some use them for life to some capacity. It is also important to recognize that when we are new to any program we typically fixate on the program. Why do you think LBT is so successful. Because the more we involve ourselves and surround ourselves with other like minded people we increase chances of success because there is increased knowledge, accountability, and support.

So yes, there are different tools. Some hogwash to one, lifesavers to others. I am a calorie counter. It's the only thing that works for me. I know that 1200 calories makes me gain and it's very easy to get to 1200 cals. I cannot simply eat when Im hungry and eat healthy. Even healthy food has calories. This is how I retrain myself to not only eat healthy but eat healthy portions. I also have a medical condition that limits my ability to exercise the way I'd like to, so you bet calories count.

Bottom line, we all have different circumstances, preferences and just like learning- different wl styles.

Just to get this off my chest....it's 3 am and this is just a early morning rant....

It is not my place to say what is right or wrong' date=' different things work for different people....but I am old school....the less calories in, the more you will loose...it's that simple.

Why would everyone preach exercising to burn calories? And then turn around and say now you have to eat more? And use the argument / excuse about metabolism levels, etc...does anyone here know how to measure that?

I read here everyday about people trying to reach their calorie goals....people saying to eat more to loose more. Personally, myself, I have always found that one humorous...if it were true there would not be any overweight people in the world.....

I also like all the posts where people ask "Can I eat this?" I don't know, can you? I am not even sure what people are asking most of the time.....

If these people are successful then I cannot argue with what works and has brought someone to the conclusion of a successful journey...

I quit counting calories about 6-8 weeks after surgery...with the blessing of my Surgeon and the Nut....I was getting so wrapped up into the whole process using downloaded apps, etc, I was getting dizzy......it was liberating when I got away from all that and started to understand that for me, this is a practice for a lifestyle, not another diet....

They also said only eat when I am genuinely hungry, and then eat good healthy foods, and listen to your band to know when to stop eating.........and exercise as much as possible to burn calories and fat....

Everyday, I read post after post about how many calories this and how many calories that...I have absolutely no idea how many calories I consume. I'm sure some days it is very high, and some days it is next to nothing, especially when you factor in calories burned from exercising.

That has been my recipe to success, and still follow it today as a lifestyle, not a diet plan....with the band in the background doing it's job 24 hours a day.

Other people have had success using different philosophies...and that's great...you cannot argue with success.

But it's the people who are struggling, not loosing the weight, cannot control their hunger, been banded a very short time, and yet have all the answers and tell other people how it is supposed to be done...incredible.

But like I said, if it worked for you then that IS the the right way.....

I was also once told, somewhere in one of the 100's of diets I've been on, that people will come up with just about anything to still find ways to eat...[/quote']

B-52, I love your posts! You're so spot on with your posts!

i do what works for me.....everyone should do what is best for them...is how i see it..

i do what works for me.....everyone should do what is best for them...is how i see it..

Carolinagirl.....I started watching your posts well before my banding (4 weeks ago) and feel like you have always given honest and great advice...which I appreciate. I have never counted calories.... I simply watch volume and quality of food. With that being said....the choices of what consists of my 1 cup meals is very good lean Protein and veggies. Try to always make good choices. AND...get my Water in. AND...I feel successful. Thanks again carolinagirl

I have to agree with you as well. After 2 months with the band it has become clear to me that I use to consume way to many calories. Before the ban I would eat 1200 calories of pizza for a meal, know I eat about 250 calories of pizza and feel as full as I did before. I still count calories as it is helping me learn the value of good and bad foods, but I expect in the next couple of months to have trained myself so I don't have to be quite so regimented in my calorie counting. I know most of us have a hard time coming to terms to why we became obese. We all make all kinds of excuses (genetics, slow metabolism, stress, ect), I know I certainly did. Yes it is true all of these things can have some impact on weight loss or gain, but the reality of this situation (at least for me) was that I over consumed. When I got bigger I exercised less simply because it was getting too difficult with the excess weight. It is a very tough thing to face and recognize our own weaknesses. If I have learned one big lesson from this process, it is to eat slow and chew well. I have realized by doing this I feel as full now as I did with 3 to 4 times as much food. It is a battle, but we can all win it.

Carolinagirl.....I started watching your posts well before my banding (4 weeks ago) and feel like you have always given honest and great advice...which I appreciate. I have never counted calories.... I simply watch volume and quality of food. With that being said....the choices of what consists of my 1 cup meals is very good lean Protein and veggies. Try to always make good choices. AND...get my Water in. AND...I feel successful. Thanks again carolinagirl

you are so very sweet....this makes me feel good...i am so proud of you...keep on going as you got this.....as B likes to say, you get it..

Great thread. Here is my take on all of this. As Chronic dieters and obese people we, or should I say I, know everything I should about how to diet on about 20 different plans. If it was as easy as that I'd be skinny mini a long long time ago.

The hardest part of this journey is getting out if your own way and trusting the process. Some of us still want to be controlling. We are unfamiliar with this process so we try to mold it into resembling our last 20 failed attempts at a diet.

And the greatest part of the dieting process is that you can be in control so no one can take away your biggest comfort, your biggest friend, your greatest know instantly gratifying vice: food.

Fast forward to lapband placement. If I want to be successful and really change and not be one of the 40-50% who gain it all back or never lose it all then I have to quit being the expert, quit using my past failures at successful chronic dieting, quit relying on food to make me happy/miserable.

Here is what I have done to quit all this unsuccessful behavior :

Deny my head hunger it's fix

Trust the process

Follow doctors orders

Found my voice instead of cramming food in my mouth

Enjoy life- get out there and move

Sometimes I track on MFP to keep myself on point so I don't graze but most days I don't. Protein and Vitamins and listening to my body.

Best wishes!

I constantly have to rein myself back in and get out of my 'this is the best way' mentality because I have learned that what works for me doesn't always work for someone else and vice versa. Where my thinking used to be very rigid I've learned that sometimes you just have to let people make their own decisions and while sometimes they don't work out, sometimes they do and even when they don't sometimes that's a valuable lesson. Now one thing I will say is that many of us fall into the temptation of taking advice from multiple people that ends up being more damaging than if we followed one path instead of trying to run down 10 at once. If you are going by calorie restriction then go by calorie restriction. Don't worry about whether it's good calories or bad calories or if a cracker is healthy or if cheese is healthy. At the same time, if you are doing a low carb diet then you need to stick with Proteins and cut out carbs. Don't justify a carb like granola or whole wheat bread because it's 'healthy' if your diet doesn't call for it. When you start mashing stuff up together and don't follow a coherent plan I think that sets many people up for failure. I've also found that some plans work better for some people more than others. When I follow a low carb, high Protein diet I tend to stay satiated longer because I allow myself meats, eggs, and cheese which I enjoy. I've also found that if I eat say, 1600 calories of protein vs. 1600 calories of carbs, I will stay full longer and lose more weight with proteins than carbs which means for MY body this works. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean it will work for everyone. We all have different body chemistries, different likes and dislikes, and different reasons we do or don't lose weight. I even have a MIL that goes from fad diet to fad diet and keeps her weight off that way because she gets bored with one particular eating lifestyle. For her it works and so far, every diet has worked, but her success has been tied to her round robin approach which is a little hard to swallow for some. Anyway, that's my looooong list of thoughts on the matter.