Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting a fill while BFing? (X-posted in Fill Group)

Do any ladies have thoughts or experience regarding how soon after having a baby you got a fill if you were breastfeeding? I don't want my supply to dry up or lessen (I'm already not producing enough milk) but I am itching to get a fill and start getting this weight off! (I only lost 20 of the 60 lbs I gained from pregnancy and now I'm just stuck!)

I had half my Fluid taken out around 10 weeks pregnant (4 cc) and will probably have to get 1 cc at a time and pay $250 out of pocket each time so I don't want to go too soon...

Should I just wait for 6 months of breastfeeding (ideally I will breastfeed for 1-2 years) and see what happens after that? I'll will be 3 months post pardem on Aug 13.

I would love some opinions!

I am a first time mom pregnant with my first, and I have the band. I can understand ur urge to get the weight off. I am freaking out over what I am gaining so far, but if ur already not producing enough I would be carful in getting a fill... I would first see how ur body will respond to breast feeding, give ur self at least 2-3 months...I was told u need about 800 calories to supply enough milk, plus what ever u would normally need...

I have also read about these Cookies that u can do to help with milk production. They are called lactation cookies... Maybe these will help u and then u could go in for one fill and see what happens... U can google lactation cookies for more info, but I read not to eat more than one or two because u will leak.

http://www.food.com/recipe/oatmeal-chocolate-chip-lactation-cookies-by-noel-trujillo-192346

Hope this helps. I am new to all this too.

Sophia

Can I ask why you aren't producing enough milk? Do you pump and base what you get out of that on whether its a decent amount or not? For many women they dont get as much from pumping but babies actually get more when they are at the breast so dont let that get you discouraged. Also, drink lots and lots of Water, its a very simple thing and will help your supply as well. And congrats on that baby mama! Like I told another poster on here, it takes 9 months to put the weight on, it takes at least 9 months to get it off, and you will. Right now, enjoy that sweet bundle of joy :)

I had some taken out of my band at 15 weeks. I was down to 4cc in an 11cc band. Then when baby was 2 weeks, I had a small fill and slowly had more put in over the course of a couple years. I breastfed till he was 18 months.

Heather, I had a lazy eater in the beginning and my baby was losing weight bc he wasn't getting enough milk. (Falling asleep at the boob) Ever since he was about a month old I've been having to supplement with formula... He gets breast and bottle every time. (Although just recently, overnight he will take only breast and be find until morning!)

I pump at work at get about 2 oz total every 4 hrs. I have tried fenugreek, lactation Cookies, Reglan, and feeding on demand! Since I started pumping at work 4 weeks ago, I do feel like my supply has increased but very little. I eat anywhere from 2000-2200 calories a day now. My biggest setback is Water. I suck at drinking Water (I always have, even before my lapband.) I struggle to get in 2-3 bottles of water a day. I go in phases of good hydration to barely getting in one bottle a day (of any liquid... I don't drink pop or juice or anything).

Supplementing is working out okay for us as it has helped him gain normally again....although I really hate it because feeding time takes longer, formula is smelly and makes him spit up more, and its just a pain! I'm hoping to get my supply up slowly and possibly get to EBF but I don't have a time frame and I'm not trying super hard right now (see: pumping every 4 hours and not 2) because I'm still playing catch up at my job from when I was on leave!

I will def be waiting until he is 6 months to even call my doctor and see what he recommends. I don't think my issue now is calories in...I really think its hydration. Sigh.

Don't give up, just remember the less he nurses the less you will produce since that's what your supply is "used to". It sounds like you are doing great, so don't stress too much. Believe me, I always had a hard time trying to get enough Water in as well, but once you get into the habit of hydrating more you'll notice a difference. Honestly, I absolutely hate formula LOL so I do my darnest to breastfeed as much/as long as I can lol, plus its so expensive lol.

HI! I was just searching the posts for anyone having similar questions and I wanted to see how things are going.

I gave birth August 13 and I've been breast feeding (mainly through pumping and bottle feeding) and I have been wanting to get my band tightened again.

I also have been scared about my supply drying up if I get a fill and wanted to see what you've decided to do. I have a (very small) backup supply of milk that I've pumped and frozen but it's only enough to last a few days - not months.

It's a really hard thing for me to not feel depressed about the amount of weight I've gained and how my body has changed after I put so much work in to loosing the weight in the beginning.

I hope you are well and can't wait to hear back from you!

And congrats on your baby!

Hello! Sadly my baby is 5.5 months and I only BF once in the early morning now. Baby boy won't take the boob bc he got so used to the bottle. I don't make enough to save but I'm thinking about taking supplements again to get my supply back up. I would just have to really commit to pumping at work which is really hard for me (and my pump is manual and it sucks!)

I would say just try your best to eat healthy in terms of hating the weight gain. Hopefully your breastfeeding will help you shed the pounds. It didn't for me but that's bc I never made enough to start with :(

If I can get my supply back up I may wait to get a fill ... My doctor said I could come in whenever I wanted though. We'll see!

Good luck! And congrats to you too!

Also keep I'm mind, depending on how much Fluid you need in your band and how fills affect you, one fill may not effect you at all! I have to get 4 cc to get back to where I was so I don't think my first fill will have much effect on my breastfeeding

Did anyone notice port pain with stretching belly or feel tighter from stomach being squished? Did your scars stretch?