Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had a complete unfill, awaiting an upper GI (EGD) and still having problems with food.

I've had my band since February 2009. I lost a total of 40 lbs. I was at a comfortable adjustment and started having complications last summer. I had a small unfill and felt better. Things were good until a few months ago when I started having increased episodes of food getting stuck. I was eating slowly, chewing well, etc. I went last month and had another unfill. I had 2 cc left in a 10 cc band. Still, I had increased problems with food and getting stuck. I was always having a lot of belching and increased acid reflux. I went 1 week ago and had a complete unfill...nothing in there. And STILL....the food problems are happening. I haven't changed my eating habits. I am not trying to eat things that I know the lapband doesn't like (breads, Pasta, etc.). I am scheduled to have an upper GI (EGD) done August 21st. The doctor suspects that I have "mushroomed" or dilation. My doctor is on vacation right now and that's why I have to wait until Aug. 21st. I am so frustrated right now. I am considering going on all liquids for a while to see if that helps. My doctor did not suggest it, I was just thinking it couldn't hurt. I have read that some people have had luck with that and it lets the stomach/pouch go back in place. Any advice?

Does sound like a slip or dilation. Fluids can't hurt as long as you are getting adequate nutrition. However, depending on the severity of your condition, it may not be enough to resolve the issue in all. This will require an upper GI. Personally, I don't like the idea of you waiting a few weeks to get this test done. Anyway you can go through a PCP instead to get one sooner?

I had those symptoms as well as pain in my chest. I called my surgeon on mon 7/22 and was told to go on liquids (stage 3) and had an upper gi the next day. I have a prolapse and I'm now on liquids until sept 4th to give it a chance to fix itself. I felt better in about 2 days. Anyway...it's probably safer to go on liquids for now and it will prob help you feel better as well. Good luck to you!

Hi i have been feeling about the same way, I was banded June 2012 no problems until lately i have really been nauseated after I drink r eat fill tightness in my chest and lately my back hurts really bad after I eat also..I am able to eat and keep food down just feel really sick after eating, my doc did take 1cc out of mine band a couple of days ago still ive been feeling the same way, even went to the ER i was feeling so bad, so now my doc wants to do a upper GI, im praying my band hasnt slipped eroded, anyone else feel this way and it was because of a slip or erosion?

Does sound like a slip or dilation. Fluids can't hurt as long as you are getting adequate nutrition. However, depending on the severity of your condition, it may not be enough to resolve the issue in all. This will require an upper GI. Personally, I don't like the idea of you waiting a few weeks to get this test done. Anyway you can go through a PCP instead to get one sooner?

I was thinking the same thing about going sooner. It's now only a week away. I've been on mostly liquids for the past 5 days. When I have had a few bites of food, it almost feels like it's getting stuck in my throat and I have a hard time swallowing. It's not so much around the band area like it used to be where I would feel restriction. This week can't go get over quick enough. I'm ready to get this resolved, as I have a cruise scheduled for Sept. 15 and I would like to be able to at least eat real food!

I had those symptoms as well as pain in my chest. I called my surgeon on mon 7/22 and was told to go on liquids (stage 3) and had an upper gi the next day. I have a prolapse and I'm now on liquids until sept 4th to give it a chance to fix itself. I felt better in about 2 days. Anyway...it's probably safer to go on liquids for now and it will prob help you feel better as well. Good luck to you!

I sure hope it does resolve the prolapse. Another surgery won't be fun. I am trying hard to stay on liquids or at least mushy food when I can't stand it. I'm hoping that will give it a rest and a chance to go back in place, if indeed that is what is wrong. The waiting is the hardest part. Wish the you the best of luck!

I went to the health food store and found several high Protein Shake mixes that are also lactose free (another issue I have). So far, so good. But the extreme gas and bloating from the shakes is wearing me out. Ugh!

Msb... Did u find out the cause? I also have stomach and back pain after I eat and I had a normal gi series. The lap band dr said eat smaller meals. I went to the ER and all blood work was good. Not sure what it can be

I was recently rebanded because my band had repositioned itself (my surgeon says his bands do not slip) and I was still barfing some, though not as much , after the unfill. I also d repairs to a hiatal hernia. Trust me, it'll get better.

Update: I had an EGD (scope) today that revealed multiple problems with the esophagus and stomach. The band is going to have to be removed. I have esophagitis, gastropathy, tortuous esophagus (which means that it is twisted and causing painful swallowing) and lastly and more importantly, a mushroom type deformity in the stomach proximal to the band. Which I believe is also called dilation or slippage. At any rate, I decided against revision to a sleeve. With all of these gastro/esophagus problems, I think it's best to just go without. Now the waiting. I'm waiting to see if my insurance covers the removal. Prayers appreciated.

Hi Shelly, just read your story and I'm wondering how you're doing? I have been having several issues with my band since June and I have an appointment on the 26th to see what is going on. I can barely get Water through and absolutely no solid food whatsoever. I survive on CarbSmart ice cream, chicken broth, and milk. It's very depressing. The good side is, I've lost more weight, but that seems rather bittersweet now.

Anyway, would love to hear an update. :)