Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PCOS.. Who's got it?

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

I was just wondering if there's any other women out there that have this? I have it and due to it I don't ovulate at all and I have darkening of my skin on my neck and armpits and around my waist line. I'm just wondering if this all changes after having the band and losing the weight.

Symptoms of this are:

• infrequent menstrual periods, no menstrual periods, and/or irregular bleeding
  • infertility or inability to get pregnant because of not ovulating
  • increased growth of hair on the face, chest, stomach, back, thumbs, or toes
  • acne, oily skin, or dandruff
  • pelvic pain
  • weight gain or obesity, usually carrying extra weight around the waist
  • type 2 diabetes
  • high cholesterol
  • high blood pressure
  • male-pattern baldness or thinning hair
  • patches of thickened and dark brown or black skin on the neck, arms, breasts, or thighs
  • skin tags, or tiny excess flaps of skin in the armpits or neck area
  • sleep apnea―excessive snoring and breathing stops at times while asleep

I'm sorry if this is a reaccuring topic. I didn't see anything about it. Does having this make it harder to lose the weight even with lap band? Any insight would be great.

Thanks!

i was diagnosed with it at 12 years of age (i am nearly 21 now). I had lost 60 pounds and it corrected itself, but now that I have R.A and gained the weight back the symptoms returned. They treated me with glucophage. I didnt have all those crazy symptoms though.

I was diagnosed with pcos in October 2005.. I have always had the irregular menstrual periods and for about 8 years I couldnt get pregnant.. I lost 50 lbs before the band and I got a regular cycle and I got pregnant! I have since had my baby and gained 60 lbs.. so that kicked up the symptoms of my PCOS since then I have had my band (april)2006 and I have lost 19lbs.

I have PCOS - I have the irregular bleeding part - can you say nonstop?? I am not *lucky* enough to have the non bleeding symptom of PCOS! I have been diagnosed with insulin resistance too, which is often part of the syndrome. This is what makes it so hard to lose weight!

I am on Yasmin birth control pills, and recently stopped metformin due to extreme exhaustion......been on it for 5 years now, with no real change that I can see. We'll see what happens off of it. May not last.

Not interested at all in conceiving.....hubby and I are happy "as is."

I have PCOS. I'm lucky though.... I have the dont-get-my-period-except-with-medical-intervention-kind!

I'm hoping with some weight loss it should even out again. I lost a bunch of weight on Atkins once and got my periods back normally. Sad to say I'm looking forward to my period, eh?

I was like that too.. I had to take Birth Control just to get a period... I never really cared but when I started having higher sugar readings it concerned me.. then my periods became so heavy and so long I had it for like 5 weeks.. then no cycle for 12 weeks then again a cycle for 5 weeks! I was never put on meds I was told that it would correct itself when I lost weight but I am noticing the dark skin Patches on my neck and around the waist! it looks ugly and I hate it! do you think skin bleach would help? anyway I hope it corrects itself.. so far I was on my cylce in April so I am waiting to see what happends this month..(keeping fingers crossed)

Wendy

Banded 4-3-06

-19 lbs so far..:clap2:

Dr. Verboonen..

T.J Mx

Count me in. I have hyperinsulinism and I normally have the virtually no period, until I startedd losing weight. The loss trigged what I like to call a gusher, doc had to put me on meds for it again. Metformin didn't seem to help me much that I could tell. I wish I could answer the rest of your questions but I am no where near goal. My surgeon did say that I may lose a bit slower because of the PCOS but that I would still lose.

I have it. I have been a slow loser, but I am losing. I also don't ovulate or have periods without taking provera. Recently I have been having PMS & cramps. I'm hoping that it is going to get better!

I have it. Unfortunately I have PCOS combined with 6 large fibroids and I STILL get horrid periods every month, I dont know which to blame, lol. I have Insulin Resistance and take Metformin, elevated chlosterol, borderline high BP, and dark hairs that crop up in unwanted places. I think getting banded is the best thing I could ever do for my health. I am off my BP med (Benicar) and only take 1000 mg of Metformin, down from 1500mg. I havent had a recent A1C or cholesterol check but I am sure the numbers look better. I have lost pretty slowly, but very consistently, around 5-6 lbs a month. If I were exercising like I should it would probably be more. This is the first time in years that my weight is creeping DOWNWARD!!!! It is making an incredible difference in how I feel and look!

Me too. I hated the idea of doing birthcontrol to "treat" it so I didn't do it. I used to have 2 periods a years. Sounds great until you actually get one....boy did I make up for lost time.

I've lost many symptoms since losing weight. I get really bad PMS now, since I had my son 3 years ago. I just got back on a natural supplement called Fem20 which I took 4 years ago when I lost a bunch of weight. I got pregnant within 5 months of taking it. I still need to lose weight, but I wont mind if it helps with PMS and happen to get preggers too. I have the rest of my life to get thin, but I'm getting to old to wait to have another baby.

Yep...have had it for several yrs...probably longer but they only diagnosed it about 9 yrs ago. Thankfully I don't have the hair issue. But missing/irreglar/heavy periods (big time cramping lately), insulin resistance (taking metformin), high cholesterol (controlled with meds), hypertension (controlled with meds), sleep apnea (use CPAP which I love), wicked hormone readings, skin tags, and apparently I have fibroids (treatment tbd).

I hope future weight loss will resolve some of these issues....but you never know...skinny ppl also have PCOS.

Hi Everyone! I had my surgery about 6 weeks ago and am down about 25 pounds and I had my period a few weeks ago, after 7 months of not having it at all!!! And yes, I have PCOS. SO this initial weight loss has really helped me and when I got my period I almost cried with joy!

I had a 5 day period. The bleeding stopped and now it is back and I dont know what to do??? Has anyone had this happen?:help:

Yes .....I also have the dreaded PCOS :angry .....I have struggled with my weight, irregular periods and some excess hair growth all my life (I actually didn't start menstruating untill I was 19yrs due to PCOS) however I always managed (through cigarettes, black coffee & starvation) to keep my weight within a healthy range. Then when I had children, gave up the whole strvation/smoking merry-go-round my weight balooned and now at the age of 41 I have finally decided to get "banded" and now I'm starting to feel like there could be a light at the end of the tunnel.:clap2:

Cheers Jo

LMAO!! Halie ur so funny!

PCOS here tooo.... hoping the band weight loss will correct it.

When is surgery for you?