Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recovery after band removal

Can anyone tell me what the recovery was like after band removal? Mine is coming up soon.

I felt SO much better after the band was out that I was trying to get dressed and out of the recovery room while I was still all dorky from anesthesia.

For a few months after the band was out, I felt very full and was unable to eat much at all. My stomach felt shriveled up and like it just couldn't hold much. You might notice this as a side effect, too. I'd hoped it would stay that way, but my stomach stretched back out, darn it.

But I think the band removal surgery itself was much, MUCH easier to recover from, personally.

Best of luck to you. I hope all goes well and you heal up quickly.

I'm glad. I hope someone else chimes in as well.

I had a remarkable amount of damage from the band, but I also had a very good surgeon do the removal. I really wish you the best. Feel free to PM me if I can do anything to help.

Wasn't really a big deal. Sore for a while but was back at work the following week. Within 2 weeks my energy level was the best it'd been in years (because I was eating real food and sleeping through the night again without choking to death).

Good luck!!!

Hello:

I had my band out 5 days ago. It was much more difficult than getting the band put in. Mine had eroded through. I had to have nothing but some ice chips for 3 full days. On the fourth day my first taste of anything was contrast for the xrays. Gross!

I recommend that you have everything set at home for ease when you get home. For instance, put sheets over the couch because then it will be more comfy. Have some mushy foods ready in the freezer. I'm not hungry, but I have zippo energy, so I have been making myself eat a little bit of this and a little bit of that.

I was lucky because the band didn't leave much scar tissue.

Good luck to you.

Sue

Elliemay' date='

How close are you to your band removal date? Are you feeling okay?

Wishing you the very best. I hope all goes well.[/quote']

I'm waiting on a phone call from the surgeons office. I feeling good right now. Just never know when it will act up again. Thank you for asking.

Sue magoo: Did you know your band had eroded before your surgery?

I'm waiting on a phone call from the surgeons office. I feeling good right now. Just never know when it will act up again. Thank you for asking.

How come you are having it removed? I have not had the best of luck so looking at this as an option in the future.

When I say best of luck meaning that my band some days are so tight everything gets stuck to the next day I can eat as if there is nothing there. Have had fills then end up going back in to get in fill, have done that now about 5 times.

Good luck with the removal

I having it removed because of esophageal spasms and my body is not accepting it anymore . That's what the surgeon said it was. It's been 5 times now that I can't eat anything solid or barely drink anything for weeks at a time. The only thing that clears it up is steroids. The doc said that is way too many times for that to happen. I've had my band since Dec 2010, it helped me lose 60 lbs And I'm gonna miss having my weight loss tool. Really scared I'm gonna gain the weight back....

I currently have no fill in my band and it still shuts off and I can't eat or drink!

Morning everyone! I'm scheduled to get my gallbladder and lapband. Removed n Monday and I'm pretty scared. Not only of tge surgery.but recovery and weight gain. I feel this is the best decision. My catheter that connects toy port is disconnected so I have this tube in my body floating and causing pain. If anyone has had the band removal can you share tge experience and did your insurance pay for it?

Hope your removal goes well, mine is Monday morning. I'm scared about weight re-gain too! My bad self can't wait to eat a hot dog and a regular sandwich.....again. I know it's gonna be a hard road......

Had my Realize band placed in Aug 2008 w/o complications. Earlier this year, food began to get stuck very regularly, no matter what size, even yogurt/applesauce etc. I thought perhaps there was some slippage so the Dr. ordered a UGI which unfortunately showed that the band had eroded. That was probably back in April/May. I was referred to another Bariatric surgeon who took a look and suggested that since I had no other symptoms or pain, we wait and let the band erode more into my stomach. The thought behind this was that it would enable him to remove it endoscopically. So, after a few more UGIs, surgery was scheduled for 23 Aug 2013. It was explained that he would start with the hopes of cutting it and removing it with the endoscope but would possibly have to to an endoscopic/laproscopic combination and worse case scenario, open surgery. Long story short, it ended up being removed endoscopic/laproscopically (due to the amount of scar tissue around the band) and a small incision was made to remove the port. Other than being quite groggy...felt pretty good after surgery w/ hopes of having a one night hospital stay. The next morning, I developed a fever which shot up and could not be controlled. After a series of blood tests, a chest x-ray, urinalysis and a UGI, it was determined that I had the beginnings sepsis. I was given several bags of IV antibiotics (I'm quite sure there was enough to completely wipe out all of the bacteria in a 3rd world country). I was released after a few days and my temp had stabalized. Now on my last week of heavy duty oral antibiotics and finally starting to feel a bit more alive.