Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im just nearing 3 weeks post op, and I am feeling like I did not make the right decision in getting the lap band, I have had so much trouble the past few days keeping down anything, and I feel so melancholy afterwards, like I will always be throwing up or not being able to breathe after I take to big of a sip/bite. But this CANT happen Im 17 and still in high school, I don't want to have to leave class because I need to burp and let my food digest. I know I know this is the way it goes sometimes, but I just FEEL this way. Feelings cant be right or wrong, so please don't be an a*****e please and thank you..

The biggest perk of the having a lap band instead of bypass is its 100% reversable. Maybe you should ask the dr to remove some of the fill to lessen your restriction so that you dont throw up every time you eat. I was having the same issue and i started fresh i had them take out my fills and start slowly once i did that everything seems to be better. But if you feel you made the wrong choice if you have the insurance or money to get it removed then go for it its a faster surgery than getting banded. Good luck either way its definetly a big commitment and i know at 17 i didnt want anything stopping me from anything lol

Im just nearing 3 weeks post op, and I am feeling like I did not make the right decision in getting the lap band, I have had so much trouble the past few days keeping down anything, and I feel so melancholy afterwards, like I will always be throwing up or not being able to breathe after I take to big of a sip/bite. But this CANT happen Im 17 and still in high school, I don't want to have to leave class because I need to burp and let my food digest. I know I know this is the way it goes sometimes, but I just FEEL this way. Feelings cant be right or wrong, so please don't be an a*****e please and thank you..

Hi Chloe. Call the doctor's office on Monday to see if they can figure out why you are having issues. You shouldn't have problems keeping food from coming back up unless you are too tight or you are eating too fast, or taking bites that are too large. They will help you to figure out what the problem is and then you will likely do fine. I won't say anything about how you feel because you feel how you feel and that's not right or wrong..it's just how you feel and it's very understandable regardless of your age. I just hope the doctor can help you so you can find success with the band. Good luck!.

I'm so sorry you're having difficulties, so far so good for me, But my advise as with any change is to contact your doctor as to your problems hopefully it will be an easy fix. Good luck and blessings to you.

for anyone:

if your scared, confused or in pain, the best thing to do is call your doctor's office for advice/advisement/guidance

I will also mention that being only 3 weeks post-op... your feelings are very normal...often termed "buyers remorse" it's that what have I done feeling... we have all likely been there!!! Be cautious of what your are eating especially 3 weeks post-op...take it slow.... chew, chew chew...and call your Dr with any concerns.. they know you best...

Like said previously, there is usually always some kind of remorse after surgery. I had it and most did, but don't get in the mindset that you made a mistake. The band comes with a lot of lifestyle changes that you will have to make and even though you probably read/were told about them previous to banding, it's different when you actually have the band.

Take smaller bites when eating, chew a lot, and have a rest period of 30sec-1min between bites. Anatomically, the band pouch can only hold so much food and if you continuously eat meals like you did previously, it is hard to misjudge how much you've eaten vs how much you can actually hold. Make sure to weigh out portions (1 cup is usually the recommended amount) and mindfully eat your food- don't sit in front of the television or read a book as it distracts you from the actual process of eating and the bodies signals that you are satisfied and can stop eating.

With the drinking, take small sips instead of gulps, otherwise you come back to the same problem of pouch capacity vs what you actually drank or ate.