Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Date Aug. 1st yet I'm having 2nd thoughts

My surgery is scheduled for August 1st. At first I was excited and thrilled to finally have my date. But as the date gets closer, I'm having 2nd thoughts. I had to go through 6 months of nutritional counseling, I had to see a nutritionist, I had to see a psychiatrist, and I had an EGD done. All of that time, I was committed to having this surgery. And now, I'm having second thoughts. It's the preop diet that has me thinking. The first 2 days of my 2 week liquid diet, I was fine.....and then I don't know what happened. All kinds of thoughts appeared from out of no where. Like, How did I let myself get like this? What happened to me? When did I stop caring? I was almost in tears thinking about my life. Really, what the hell happened and why am I the size that I am now. Now I'm thinking I don't know if I can do this.........DAMN. Did anyone else have these thoughts? If so, how did you overcome them?

I didn't have a pre-op diet but I did have doubts right before the surgery. Like you, I asked myself how I ever allowed myself to get so huge. I was over 400 pounds and seriously miserable. Part of me was afraid the band wouldn't work for me and it'd be nothing more than another failure.

The way I handled it was by separating facts from emotion. My emotions were all over the place but if I focused on facts, it seemed far less overwhelming. For instance, the fact was I had to do something or die young. The fact was also that I'd done my research not only on the band but the Sleeve and Gastric Bypass and I knew the band was the right choice for me. Despite my emotional doubts, it was a fact that I had all the information I needed to be successful with the band.

For the record, getting the band was the best decision I've ever made for myself. I've lost 225 pounds over the 18 months. My life has gone from miserable to very happy. I'm so incredibly glad I didn't give into my doubts.

Best wishes, and remember, do what is right for you :)

You have a surgical date, you went through all the pre op preparation.....the diet is the last pre surgical hurdle to overcome.

My moment of truth came when I looked at how restricted my life had become due to the excess weight. I cried for 2 days after weighing in at my highest weight in my PCP's office.

Then I did my research and had the surgery. It hasn't all been smooth sailing, a few bumps, but they far outweigh the successfully changes in my life.

No more medications, normal cholesterol, lots of energy, new clothes every few weeks, feeling good about life in general.

Remember that the pre op diet will help shrink your liver so that the band placement will be easier.

Good luck and hang in there!!!!

First, you are not alone. I believe that most people have doubts before surgery. I also had doubts, although not so much about having the surgery as what the results would be. Having surgery was not an option for me due to my health conditions: only choice I had is what type of surgery I wanted to have: wrap or lapband. However, in the big scheme of things, doubts or doubts no matter the reason. You have dedicated many months to this, subjected yourself to several tests, and of course bills...LOL. Never can get rid of those. So you have decided to take action to better your health. Bettering your health is always a good decision. Emotionally, it never helps to look upon the past with regret. Regret only sows doubt and stifles growth. We experience things in our lives that change us: sometimes for better and sometimes (and only however long WE ALLOW IT TOO) for the worst. We cannot undo what has been done, only make changes for our present and our future. Whatever happened to get you where you are, was NOT enough to keep you there. And that is what you should remember. You may have been set back BUT YOU ARE NOT DEFEATED. Your spirit is still strong and that is a beautiful thing. HOLD on to that and FIGHT for your joy. This journey will have its moments, but there are great things ahead. There is no surgery in the world that will FIX what you think of you. Only you can. But in my eyes, you are still winning this fight and you will be VICTORIOUS in the end if you keep trying. So smile and starve the negative emotions of power.

Keisha, I don't have any advice for you as I am behind you, still waiting for date, etc. but I can see that you are very committed and ready -- I think emotions run high on a liquid diet as there's not the usual food to tamp things down and you don't have your new tool yet, the band -- and of course pre surgery is stressful as well -- that chattering mind is very natural, just know that you are not alone and this is a beginning of a whole new chapter. Who wouldn't be a bit jittery?

K

had surgery two days ago and I swear to you up until an hour before I was thinking of backing out. I have lost 3lbs already and starting to get excited for future... Now all I can tell you is to take the pain med they give you because I tried not to until last night and cried from the pain an lack of sleep....I took pill last night and slept and have been feeling so much better today...you'll still want food and still question your choice after but stay hydrated and medicated....this is worth it :-)

Mis73, thank you. I think I'll redirect my thoughts. I'm usually positive and upbeat, I don't know where this comes from. I did a ton of research and I honestly believe that the lapband is the best option for me. Thanks so much for sharing your story.

Feb27bandwoman, thanks for the encouragement. Although I'm overweight and morbidly obese, I've been fortunate enough to not have the complications of obesity. As my doctor would also say, "YET". But I have noticed that I don't do the things that I use to enjoy and I think my weight has a great deal to do with that. I know things will change after the surgery. But thanks so much for encouraging me. It really means a lot.

Tigers1998, thank you. You hit it right on. I felt like no one knew what I was going through. But here is an entire community that's been there and you guys know exactly how I feel. And that means so much to me. I feel ok knowing that others felt the same way. Even Beth said right before her surgery, she felt that way that I am feeling now. I do feel encouraged. And I thank you for your encouraging words.

Bandista, thank you. I think...I know that I'll be alright once I get over this hump. Thanks for encouraging me. It really means a lot to me. I'll keep you posted.

Beth Boynton, thanks for telling me what to expect. Besides having kids and an EGD, I've never had any type of surgery neither have I been admitted to a hospital. So that alone has me kind of shakey and nervous. I think once I get my thoughts together, I'll be ok. Thanks for sharing the story about the medication. You must have been reading my mind. I literally thought that I would not be taking pain pills. But if I need to, and it sounds like I will, I'll take them as needed. Again, thank you for encouraging me and letting me in on your story.

I am having 2nds 3rds and 4th thoughts. I'm thinking of all the ways it won't work, but I know I'm just scaring myself. Look at the positive that will come out of it. Let the worries go to the back of your mind and replace them with a journal with positive feedback that you know will happen by doing this Leave notes around the house to uplift you. Have your friends write you and have them point out the positives they see. Don't go it alone. You can and will talk yourself out of it only if your dwell on the negative.

NOT doing it isn't an option. Live or die? What are the positives for you?

thanks for sharing. Donna

Thank you Donna, I feel so much better. I think I will journal, I started a blog but I need to get back into it.

I had my surgery yesterday around noon. All I want to do today is sleep. I'm still hurting. I've had three kids and this pain is worse than labor. When will it end?

I had my surgery yesterday around noon. All I want to do today is sleep. I'm still hurting. I've had three kids and this pain is worse than labor. When will it end?

How are u doing now it's been almost three months. Finding it doing its job while u do yours? Exercising? What are you doing? I hope all is going well for you. Good luck on your journey.