Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today is day 2 pre-op and I feel like SUCH SH*T!!! Been up since 4am... Headache, nausea, insomnia... I am really scared - I can't go through this much longer honestly... I know I sound crazy but I need to work today and I can't get any sleep! When I'm up I feel light headed... So afraid I'm going to pass out. I did 3 whey Protein Shakes yesterday and cucumbers and celery last night... Drank a ton of water... What is wrong with me??!?

Unless you're having some kind of alergic reaction to some new food ( the Protein shakes maybe??....never heard of it though ) its probably your body adjusting to not having the "normal" things you've been giving it.

Hang in there! It may seem as though you can't do this, but trust me, you can. Most everyone has been through a pre-op "diet" that last from a few days to a few weeks. For me it was Clear liquids....basically ZERO calories for a week pre-op. And after about the third day, it actually got much better for me.

Best wishes :)

I had the same problem. It will go away in a day or two. I was told it was caused by the withdrawal of all of the sugars and carbs. Keep with it, it will get better. Good luck.

Sorry you're feeling bad! As the others said, it's probably your body saying "WTH!" Just push through it, drink plenty of Water and get those Protein Drinks in. For me, the pre-op diet was a huge mental challenge! The end result will be worth it. Hang in there girl, you got this. :)

my pre-op diet was 4 Protein drinks or bars and one lean cuisine meal for dinner... I had some loss of energy but it only lasted a day or two... keep on focusing on the end results.. You don't want to have problems in surgery with your liver being too fat... ask your Dr. if you can have a low cal meal that might help.

You're going to feel like crap, it's going to feel absolutely impossible, but believe me, you CAN do this. It's not fun, hell I wanted to die during my pre-op diet. Or at least gnaw off a limb, but it's true, after the first few days your body adapts and you suddenly don't feel so horrible.

I was on the same pre-op as you - Protein drinks and one very small meal of steamed veg. I survived the two weeks even though I was so sure I would expire from lack of food, and you can survive too. Hang in there. Take it one day at a time. One hour at a time. Just plan to get through to the next shake and try not to think too far ahead.

Day three ,today is better for me. It sounds like Ketosis symptoms. I had a really bad headache and couldn't sleep well. Make sure you time your Meal Replacement shakes so you don't have excessive time between two of them. We can do this! Good luck!

Thanks everyone!!! That's really what I needed!!! Just had to hear "it happened to me", "it's normal" and "it'll pass" lol going to keep on pressing through this and hope for the best!!!

Aww you can do it connie, this is the worst part, nothing compares to that pre op diet, i felt just the same, i was constantly in the bathroom too my bowels wouldnt agree with the pre op diet, i was also so emotional i cried every day. If it was a normal fad diet id have given up but look at what your going to gain from it :) a whole new and healthier lifestyle. How long do you have to do the pre op diet for? I only had to do it for 2 weeks and was banded 3rd july. I use to phone my dietician every day in tears and by day number 10 she was pretty harsh and said 'you have 2 options.... 1 - get on with it and do it and 2 - dont have the band...simple. those were the exact words i needed to give me a kick up the bum lol. So after that i kept repeating those words in my head xxx

HONEY!!!! It is just your body changing and all of the bad stuff processing and filtering out of your sysytem. Please remember to DRINK your Water this will help to flush faster. Thank goodness I was on a sugar buster for 2 weeks prior and not total liquids. I could eat chicken, fish, baked or grilled of course and the right green veggies. IT IS hard but HOW bad do you want this. My surgery was on 6/21...as of today I have lost a total of 25#! SCORE!!! IT IS WORTH IT! {{HUGS}}!

Try to spread things out so that you are having something every couple of hours. Especailly at work, that is what helped me get through the days and after the first day I was not hungry and it was simple to get through.

I would start at 9 with a shake, then at 11, maybe yougurt or fat free sugar free pudding. 1 I would have some Soup etc.

so the times would be spread out to every other hour, 9;11;1;3;5;7;9 It kept my blood sugar from crashing no headaches, and my tummy wasn't growling at me. The withdrawl from sugar and caffine can cause a bit of discomfort but if your 2 days in you should already be through that.

Best of luck to you!

Co-sign all the reassurance and motivation from previous posters and would add that once you get past the "miserable" hump you will gain so much confidence in yourself. I finished my pre op diet feeling on top of the world and finally more in control of my relationship with food. Also helped a ton in preparing me for post op diet. Good luck to you!!

It seems so difficult now but things will get easier. It is a struggle to get through the first few days with the lightheadedness, hunger pains etc. I promise it will get easier. I'm on day 12 of my liquid diet and honestly I feel great! It took me a few days but after day 2 or so it was getting much easier. I try not to think about it, keeping myself busy! I hope all goes well! You are so close! You can do it!