Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So its been exactly 1 week after I had my lapband and plication. Im still in pain, and tired. But yesterday I had the worst experience!! I happened to take to big of a bite of chicken, and no it didn't get stuck but for about 5 minutes I was huffing and trying to breath, or burp, it felt as if my airway had been closed. This has happened before with the lapband but I am truly hoping this is just because it is new, and tighter and more swollen than usual?? Please help, I really hope this does not happen often because I wanna break down and cry every time it does...

thanks xo Chloe

I am concerned that you are eating chicken already- at one week out I was only doing Clear Liquids. I can't imagine having tried to eat something solid at one week. I would call and talk to my doctor- I would be afraid you may cause damage eating solid foods so quickly- especially if they are getting stuck.

Agree with Jenna. chicken can and is usually the most difficult of all foods for bandsters to consume without problems. It's all in the preparation, consistency and if you use some kind of sauce to help it slide down?

But, like Jenna said, it's unusual for any doctor to allow newly banded patients to eat such a solid so soon? Better check that post-op dietary guide again?

tmf

Be careful, just stay with liquid or at least with mushy food for a while before you experiment again with chunky meat!

One week ..chicken ???

Hahaha.. It happened with me too.. With tuna.. Well, you suppose to be on liquids or mushy for at least another week..

Dont worry it will heal sooner than you know it .. Dont force it for now..

Good luck

Gotta agree with the others...I'm 2.5 years out and still struggle with chicken. Your band is probably way too swollen at this point for solid food, and getting stuck can be very painful so please be careful! Big bites are a problem as well; I've had to learn the hard way about not cutting my food small enough on more than one occasion. Take it easy on the solids for now, and good luck!

You're not on liquid diet. I'm banded one week today and can't imagine eating chicken. Also you know you are suppose to take baby bites and crew 20-30 crews. Good luck.

I'm going to be blunt, but my words are meant to help you. Eating chicken one week after banding and plication is dangerous. Your body has to work SO hard just to get the food down through the esophagus and into the stomach. Your stomach has been banded and folded and is just beginning to heal. Your band is not swollen. Your body is. It's been through massive trauma. A band is an unnatural object, a foreign body, and it affects the body's natural digestive processes, especially when you're still in the healing stage. The huffing and trying to breathe is due to the diaphragm, most likely. Your stomach and the surrounding tissues are very swollen right now and are not giving your diaphragm much room.

If you can stomach it, (no pun intended) watch a video of banding and plication. And watch a video of the digestive process. Just because the surgery may have been done laparoscopically doesn't mean it wasn't major surgery. You want to give your body plenty of time to heal otherwise it will be all downhill from this point. Good luck.

I get that feeling if I eat incorrectly. I also will voice my concern that you should still be on post op diet.