Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hey France - i measure out my portions before I start eating' date=' so that way if i don't notice my body telling me to stop, at the very least i've run out of food. My nutritionist told me no more than 1 cup (8oz) at a meal/sitting. If i want a little variety and more than one taste in a meal, then i reduce the size portion of stuff I'll consume. As an example last night I had 1/2 a cup of canned green Beans and 1/2 a cup of vegetarian baked Beans - but i measured it before I ate it to help me from overeating.

if you are still hungry after the 1 cup portion my recommendation is to change activities - do something else for a while - and if it's an hour later and you're still hungry, then have another 1/4 or 1/2 cup of something.

also, make sure you're fully hydrated. sometimes i mistake hunger for thirst and i'll eat something only to still have the same feeling in my body - but it turns out what solves it is a drink.

Avila, I hope I don't come off as an ass but I can't keep my mouth shut. I've seen you post similar stuff before about doing something else if you're hungry or stopping after a cup of food. I can only speak for myself but if I had that kind of control, I wouldn't be a fat ass that had to get a Lapband. Your suggestions are noted but at times they, to me, to be a little condescending, in that, I am weak or inferior because I can't do Portion Control or cannot control my hunger. I can eat the same amount of food I could before banding and am hungrier cause this liquid stuff is not doing the trick. No disrespect meant but I needed to get that off my chest...

G[/quote']

Hey George-

I'm sorry my posts have rubbed you wrong - I'm only trying to offer advice to folks asking. I am someone who has struggled with portion control my entire life. It's how I got to be over 300lbs. I haven't found the lifestyle changes with the band easy by a long shot but I've reached a point in my life I needed surgical intervention to help.

I have gotten so much from LBT and some of the best advice has been delivered directly and from the writer's own experience. Just as you are speaking from your experience I'm speaking from mine. I'm not trying to condescend by suggesting measuring portions before meals - I'm just saying it has worked for me - because if I don't I won't stop at a cup of food - I will finish whatever is I front of me.

I'm committed to making this a success for the rest of my life. If I come off strong it is only because I'm feeling a bit zealous given the necessity that I change my life.

Best,

Aviva

I'm getting excited. Hubby (who is also a bandster from 2 years ago) took me out an got us each a new fitbit (logs your activity' date=' sleep time, calories in and calories out. etc... and he got us the matching scale called the fitbit Aria and we have made a day of figiuring out our new toys, then going to a gym to work out, and out to eat for a cup of Soup each. Then home in an effort to pull our house into the sanctuary we would like tot be when it gets close to our anniversary.

I'm so happy. I love my life[/quote']

Wow, that's great. It will be great to hand that kind of support! Congrats

I'm getting excited. Hubby (who is also a bandster from 2 years ago) took me out an got us each a new fitbit (logs your activity' date=' sleep time, calories in and calories out. etc... and he got us the matching scale called the fitbit Aria and we have made a day of figiuring out our new toys, then going to a gym to work out, and out to eat for a cup of Soup each. Then home in an effort to pull our house into the sanctuary we would like tot be when it gets close to our anniversary.

I'm so happy. I love my life[/quote']

Very curious what you think of the Fitbit - Have been trying to decide btwn that and Nike Fuel Band. It has a pedometer, right?

Ok buddies... I am day 6 and I am still having the awful shoulder pain... how long does that last? It's almost unbearable... it feels like a muscle is pulling. I really want to try the charcoal stuff someone suggested instead of gas x to see if it works, but I'm having trouble finding it. Also.... after I was banded on July 18th, I woke up not I'm pain anywhere else except my throat. They said it was normal for it to be sore, but it's still sore :/ is that normal? I am also feeling like I'm having restriction (for lack of a better word) when I am taking full deep breaths... should I be worried?? Sorry to be such a bother...

Banded July 23,2013

did anyone else encounter coughing first night?

Banded July 23' date='2013

did anyone else encounter coughing first night?[/quote']

YES! It got better, but I definitely coughed and had some productive coughing also.

Ok buddies... I am day 6 and I am still having the awful shoulder pain... how long does that last? It's almost unbearable... it feels like a muscle is pulling. I really want to try the charcoal stuff someone suggested instead of gas x to see if it works' date=' but I'm having trouble finding it. Also.... after I was banded on July 18th, I woke up not I'm pain anywhere else except my throat. They said it was normal for it to be sore, but it's still sore :/ is that normal? I am also feeling like I'm having restriction (for lack of a better word) when I am taking full deep breaths... should I be worried?? Sorry to be such a bother...[/quote']

Your not at all a bother yes I would say its normal I was rebranded on the 15th and still have pain but I felt like all my ribs on the left side where broken. :( night time is the worse as I get really bad stabbing feeling under my left rib. Walking around might help also if I feel full it makes it worse. Take care.

Your not at all a bother yes I would say its normal I was rebranded on the 15th and still have pain but I felt like all my ribs on the left side where broken. :( night time is the worse as I get really bad stabbing feeling under my left rib. Walking around might help also if I feel full it makes it worse. Take care.

Does hurt when you take deep breaths sometimes? If you don't mind me asking, why did you have to get rebranded?

Does hurt when you take deep breaths sometimes? If you don't mind me asking' date=' why did you have to get rebranded?[/quote']

I started gaining weight 4 klo in a mth no matter how tight my band got nothing worked. So we did a barium swallow which found a rare backward slip which only happens to 3-4 percent of band patients. :).

Testing

Ricksgal - I found chloraseptic lozenges helped my throat a ton. For me it didn't seem to get a little better day by day. It just hurt a few days (w a phlemy cough) and then one day I stopped.

Aviva -thanks! I am going to try that! Any experience with the deep breathing being a little difficult?

a little, but not a ton. i was inpatient and the nurse checking in on me was all over me about forcing deep breaths and tho i was annoyed/in pain at the time i think it helped. what the medical staff told me was that at first shallow breaths can be common coming out of anesthesia and then with the pain meds you might be on - and then ppl may continue with shallow breaths b/c the muscles in their stomach are sore from surgery and the deep breath is expanding and stretching them.

is it more uncomfortable or outright painful? if it's painful i'd say call your doctor. it may be nothing more than healing, but hey - they just got paid a bunch for the surgery, they can answer a phone call :)

Hi everyone!

Banded 13th July in Birmingham, UK. Just gone back to work over a stone lighter & definitely feel loads better!

So glad to have found this forum, has definitely helped me through some difficult days. Felt like I couldn't cope with the big changes & because everyone said I was too young to make this decision I kept thinking maybe they were right. But you just know when you have no other choice don't you?

Want to lose 9 stone from now, just need to stay motivated. Just coming to the end of my liquid stage as well & have never been so excited about mashed potato! Haha :) x