Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats the longest any of you have heard of someone having the band without complication?

I was at a Dr. Today! I had another upper GI to review the band just today. Did not have great news, decided to make sure people hear both sides of the story.

I wish some one would have been honest with me!

All the people promoting these have great stories with very little complications.

Get a room full of people who have had issues, then make your decision.

No one is tracking our bands from years ago.

Even though we are registered!

Just being HONEST!

Thats exactly how I am feeling right now.... was banded 6/20

NO reason to Be Scared, just follow your Doctor's recommendations.

People come here for support and to report band problems, THAT isn't going to stop and attacking/calling them names isn't going to make them go away, probably make them even more persistent :lol:

Everything here is personal experience, nothing changes that, some think it's Gospel, it's not. NO matter what WLS COMPLICATIONS are a Risk we ALL agreed to take.

I was at a Dr. Today! I had another upper GI to review the band just today. Did not have great news, decided to make sure people hear both sides of the story.

I wish some one would have been honest with me!

All the people promoting these have great stories with very little complications.

No one is tracking our bands from years ago.

Even though we are registered!

Just being HONEST!

Really? Being honest? Your doctor DIED a decade ago.

Marcel Molina Y Ved 1929 - 2003 was a member of the Molina Y Ved family. Marcel was born on July 31, 1929. Marcel died on June 5, 2003 at 73 years old.

Marcel Molina Y Ved's last known residence is at Houston, Harris County, TX 77024.

Really? Being honest? Your doctor DIED a decade ago.

Marcel Molina Y Ved 1929 - 2003 was a member of the Molina Y Ved family. Marcel was born on July 31, 1929. Marcel died on June 5, 2003 at 73 years old.

Marcel Molina Y Ved's last known residence is at Houston, Harris County, TX 77024.

looks like a duck........quacks like a duck........is a duck

tumblr_mf1wiqLYKo1rkuofao1_500.gif

Yes! Really! Why are you attacking me, for sharing my personal experience? I have not challenged your success. I understand you have had a good experience, I think that is great. I think everyone making this choice should have as much information as possible, to make their own decision. By the way, I know my Dr. died..... Believe me. This is not new news to me! But thanks for making sure I knew that! I have had my band in for over 19 years!

Thats exactly how I am feeling right now.... was banded 6/20

dont be scared....follow the dr's instructions the best you can.....and dont worry about what could or could not happen.....chances are most likely nothing will......its so worth the small risks.....any questions, concerns or doubts ASK YOUR DOCTOR.....

Yes! Really! Why are you attacking me, for sharing my personal experience? I have not challenged your success. I understand you have had a good experience, I think that is great. I think everyone making this choice should have as much information as possible, to make their own decision. By the way, I know my Dr. died..... Believe me. This is not new news to me! But thanks for making sure I knew that! I have had my band in for over 19 years!

First you say you've had your band for 24 years- I point out the fact that's impossible so you change your story (including editing your post). You then say your doctor is Marcel Molina in Houston and that you saw your doctor today. But he's DEAD and has been for 10 years.

One mistake or typo- it happens. But a an account made today, who's first post is on this thread and full of complete BS? You have the credibility of man serving prison time for a felony.

Seriously, it's pathetic.

My post said 20 years for my Band and it is actually 19.5 years. So yes I did correct that. I never said 24 years, you said that! I did see my Dr. Today. Not the one who did the surgery 19 years ago. But the one who follows me now. You made some assumptions. I have never once attacked you, called you names or said you lied. Do you really think attacking me helps anyone?

My post said 20 years for my Band and it is actually 19.5 years. So yes I did correct that. I never said 24 years, you said that! I did see my Dr. Today. Not the one who did the surgery 19 years ago. But the one who follows me now. You made some assumptions. I have never once attacked you, called you names or said you lied. Do you really think attacking me helps anyone?

Your original post, before you edited it, said "over 20 years". Your profile said you got the surgery in 1989. That's 24 years- and you changed it when I pointed out the band wasn't even available until 1992 in Australia and 2001 in the states.

...now the dead doctor drama

Seriously, why did you even come on here? Why make an account just to do this?

i dont know if your story is true or not.....the only thing i can say

is with what you wrote here:

"All the people promoting these have great stories with very little complications.

Get a room full of people who have had issues, then make your decision"

not everyone has issues

shame on you for trying scare tactics

and yup, call me a band cheerleader (great story/no comps) if you want

i was just called a snob yesterday so i can take it..

i have an open mind and feel for anyone who has issues

but what you did and others do is wrong in my opinion

I have had my band for almost six years and have yet to reach my goal but am very happy to have lost over 110 lbs.

My mom and siblings have always have problems with weight issues. I started gaining weight at the age of 25. Over the next 26 years I went from 150 to 330.

I developed diabetes type 2, sleep apnea, sever pains in my back and knees walking was a chore, getting off the coach was and an adventure

It seems when I stay away from this board that I gain weight and find my way back

Some of the benefits that have come as a result of the band is:

No more diabetes medicine

No more sleep apnea

No moe pain in my back or knees

I actually enjoy walking

I can keep up with the grand children

For me the band has worked and though I have had my ups and down it was one of my best decisions I have ever made.

Wait, are you seriously saying that to make a balanced, well-informed opinion, that someone should ONLY hear about complications and NOT about how the band has worked for other people? That phrase alone takes away every shred of credibility you have.

I am a big believer that people should know, and be prepared for, any complications that may occur. I don't think enough people educate themselves as to the risks involved in any wls, not just the band. But let's put it all into perspective, shall we? Complication rates for the band are NOT 50% or more (unless you can show me studies to prove it) and most complications are not life threatening, whereas in some cases, staying obese is as good as a death sentence for the patient. Risk vs benefit is what it boils down to. And the risk of not doing anything should be considered as well, and you MUST have weighed that risk up or you wouldn't have had wls in the first place.

I'm glad that people reading this are getting scared. Get scared because every patient should worry about the possible risks, and decide if they're risks they're willing to take. But also be realistic, and consider the LIKELIHOOD of the risk eventuating and weigh out the possible benefits to your life in light of that.

So don't tell me not to talk about how the band has changed my life for the better, because it has, for almost 5 years now. Without it, I would no doubt have the same health problems that my siblings are experiencing - diabetes and hypertension. And chances of me being around to see my youngest son into adulthood virtually non-existent.

And also my band is not the same as your band, either (if you had yours done 20 years ago) so it's again a different risk profile.

This thread is bordering on just being stupid now. We get it, people have complications. Everyone should be aware of the possibility of complications. Everyone agrees with you, but not with the assertion that all banders are doomed, DOOMED I tell you! Are we done now?

I think we are forgetting why we need or needed to consider surgery in the first place our quality if life was at risk everyone on here has a valid point and everyone has to make an informed choice with their doctor. I am an NHS client and after all the evaluations lap band was chosen as best for me I am 18 months post surgery and have had no problems I lost 60lb on the 6 month per op diet and have lost another 126 since. I have followed all the guideline and so far when I have been stuck its been my fault by eating too fast. 0ver 12 stone lighter and life is great. Wish everyone good luck with weight loss journey x

All I am saying is be informed, talk to your doctor about what is best for you!

Know both sides. Best of luck to everyone!

Mis73 unless someone says what YOU want to hear you bash them!! You genuinely think this woman is lying!!? And you asked if she follows up with the doctor and she said yes - she didn't say I follow up with my original surgeon. God you're crazy- you're the only one that sounds psychotic! For gods sake you googled the woman!! Are you saying no one has complications!!!?? Tons of people do! For everyone that does there's so many more that don't. Regardless - this band is not the safest thing! The safest thing is losing weight without it! This thread along with many others convinced me to cancel my surgery. That is my choice. There are many things to consider 20-40-60 year from now and I'm not willing to take those risks! Just because you are so what?!!! Don't read these threads if all you want to read is rainbows and butterflies! That poor woman's story was so nice and so genuine! And I'm glad she told it!