Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded in Mexico yesterday. Awesome place, great people, amazing hotel. Got back to hotel room and walked a lot to relieve gas. Never did but it will soon. Problem is. I am starving. Ate pretzels and combos on plane ride home. Ate a tuna fish sand which when I got home. Maybe 38 hours after surgery. I plan to call them on Monday to see what is going on. I bought the X-ray and it show to be ok. It's not right.

G

Did you see hat I wrote? We're you hungry after your band? I woke striving. Stayed starving. Something isn't right. Yes I got post op instructions.

Did you do any pre-op diet? Coz you're starving on that diet. I felt like I was going to die on the pre-op diet, I was so hungry. So anyone who's done that diet would know what it's like to be starving but follow the liquid diet anyway.

First time I was banded, I was hungry after just 48 hours. I stayed on my post-op diet anyway. Nothing wrong with my band, I just healed quickly I guess. 2nd time I was banded, I was hungry after the first week but had to stay on liquids anyway. Coz after the complications I've had, the last thing I want to do is screw my band up.

I hope all is well for you despite what you've eaten, but please don't for a minute think you're the only one who had to follow their diet despite being hungry. The thing is, despite that, you need to follow the diet anyway.

George, Have you checked out the new "Self-pay and Banded in Mexico" forum? I'm new to this and haven't had surgery yet, so I am not that knowledgeable, but since you were banded in Mexico it may be helpful. Just saw it and thought of your post from earlier.

PLEASE be very careful.... You are healing... try and follow the guidelines you were given... I know you maybe hungry but you should be on liquids. Does your program not include something like Isopure?

Were you given a Post-op Plan to follow

Week 1 - Clear Fluids

Week 2 - Full Fluids

Week 3 - Mushie Foods

Week 4 - Solid "Normal" Foods

Hang in there.. it will get better. Do you have a support group you can go to?

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 160 lbs

Pushing solid food through a new band can cause the band the be ripped off the stomach where it is sewn on causing internal bleeding and potentially death.

One of the many problems with surgery in Mexico is the lack of instructions. Apparently you were under the belief that the band is placed and immediately you won't be hungry and the weight just falls off? So not true. Until you get enough fills to feel some restriction or satiety, this is just like another diet. In fact, from this point on you may be in Bandster hell and could be even hungrier than before surgery.

Welcome to the forum and read and obey your post op instructions. If you don't, you could cause serious damage. Good luck and keep reading here.

tmf

I was just banded July 10th. I was miserably starving even though I had been sipping on broth and other liquids all day. My saving grace has been egg drop Soup from the Chinese restaurant. I just strain all the big chunks out. It keeps me satisfied for longer. Also someone told me Tomato Soup was good...just add more Water to lighten it up. They are more hearty I guess and stick with you longer. Just a suggestion.

we were all hungry for weeks after surgery until the fills get right. I lived on home make chicken broth and creamed Soups as much as I wanted plus tea, Snapple, Water, popsiciles, while healing. Do yourself a favore and stick to the plan and you will loss in the long run. Hungry isn't the key to eat any more do the work and get the success you want. clean a room, go for a walk call a friend other things then eat. Its a new life and a diet.

Did you see hat I wrote? We're you hungry after your band? I woke striving. Stayed starving. Something isn't right. Yes I got post op instructions.

Yes, I saw what you wrote and as others stated here, you're really risking serious complications and damage to your stomach by eating this stuff right after surgery.

I was starving right after surgery too but I still stayed on liquids for the first 4 weeks after surgery regardless. Why? Because that was my surgeon's instructions and my hunger was totally irrelevant. I didn't want risk damaging my stomach or the band.

If you were given a post op diet to follow, then you best get back on it ASAP. It's for your own safety.

I was just banded July 10th. I was miserably starving even though I had been sipping on broth and other liquids all day. My saving grace has been egg drop Soup from the Chinese restaurant. I just strain all the big chunks out. It keeps me satisfied for longer. Also someone told me Tomato Soup was good...just add more Water to lighten it up. They are more hearty I guess and stick with you longer. Just a suggestion.

Egg drop soup was and still is my fav to go to when I'm on a Fluid type diet. Lots of Protein and delicious too!

Choosing the band means a commitment to change both your lifestyle and relationship with food. There are going to be days when you doubt your reasons for having the surgery. And for many, including me, the pre op and post op weeks were the most difficult.

I've continued to use hunger as a cue for me to start drinking my required free fluids. And I found a multitude of ways to stay busy and not dwell in feeling hungry.

What others have written about the risks of eating solid foods too soon post op are accurate. There is a real need for you to develop a set of coping skills to manage your hunger.

Best wishes for a successful journey...

This kind of post is just so frustrating. again...this is not a slam at George...it's a slam at the doctors who perform these surgeries and do not clearly explain to their patients just what to expect. I read posts all the time from people who have no clue what to expect. It's only when they read responses from other bandsters that they get an idea of what this surgery actually means. What is wrong with the doctors?? Even my bariatric group which is supposed to be one of the best...they were the ones who did Gov. Christie....did not give me a blow by blow of what being banded really means. Fortunately, I understood the concept....smaller portions and eating till satiated, not full but there are plenty of people out there who think they'll never be hungry again and will not have to deal with the head hunger...which never goes away. Ugh....OK, done with my rant. Thanks for letting me vent.

Be careful, and don't do damage to your band. calm down, you might be hungry, but you should not be eating solids so soon after your surgery. best wishes, please check your instructions for eating. Karen