Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First social outing since being banded

Phew I survived today and it wasn't bad. I have been avoiding social situations that involve food cause I'm newly banded and few people know and i need to get my grip on this and don't want to eat the wrong thing and cause damage to my stomach and my band . Im following the rules as best as i can. I was so anxious about this bridal shower only my best friend knows I was banded. Nervous wreck to be out in public not eating or drinking alcohol and u know what? It was all in my head. Nobody cared If I drank Water all day or that I had very very little on my plate. I'm on mushies so I picked foods I could fork mash as recommended by my doctor and I survived. I ate the way I should with the band although I had 3 tiny baby spoonfuls of mouse but its ok . I have to live with this band and still be me. I did have a hard time waiting the 20 minutes to drink after eating and tried my best. It surprises me how little I can eat and be satisfied!!! The best part of the day was not being so horrified when we took a group shot down 26 pounds and such difference I didn't notice until the picture. June 1 I went to a bridal shower and hated the me in the photo we took because I couldn't believe it was me. 26 pounds gone and feeling great can only imagine how different I will look at the wedding in October. Even already committed to being the designated driver so I don't waste my calories drinking :)

Just had to share no matter how supportive those that know are not being in my position I don't think they understand the feeling of being the new me. Trust me i have tons of emotions going on .... I'm different but I'm not but I am if that makes sense:) thanks for listening ....

Sounds like you were a true success! One event at a time....way to go! :D

It makes total sense, and I know the feeling completely! It kind of makes me teary to read your story, because it's a very powerful experience for those of us who have been through it. That's why I find this site helpful. I've had my band for 7 years. I had really started to take it for granted and forget what it's like. I've maintained 100+ pound weight loss (although I lost more than that and have gained back - but I'm on my way back down).

It can be emotionally overwhelming at times - fear of failure, fear of success, pride, freedom, power, helplessness, excitement - all of it at the same time!

Good for you! If you can, print out your post or copy and paste it into a private journal somewhere. Down the road when you stall or become discouraged (because it happens to all of us at some point), go back and read it. Remember why you are doing this and just how amazing it is!

Thank you and thats why i love this site. I read post more than I do post because it is so helpful. This whole experience is and has been and probably at times will be emotionally overwhelming but i know its a good thing. :) I just take it one day at a time and one event at a time. I need to be able to balance my social life and my banded life. I think half the things I worry about are in my head. I do fell bad about not telling everyone but its on a need to know basis until I'm more comfortable. ( my fear of failure is what holds me back i failed on so many diets, lost weight gained it back and more more times then i wish to remember )

When people commented on the fact I lost weight I was semi honest. I said I replaced some meals with Protein Shakes and have been walking all of which is true I jsut didnt mention my tool the lap band. Im usually very honest and am like yeah this is the truth take it or leave it its who I am but this time Im more guarded. This tool and change is for me first and Ill share with others as I feel necessary. Everyone on this site so far has been wonderful I read a few post from some people who need to get a grip but there is good and bad everywhere. I am so greatfull for this site and all the great people on it.

sounds like you did great, reading your story makes me think back my first time going out to dinner, I remember I was terrified to pick something off the menu, but congrats on your victory it will get easier as time goes by :rolleyes:

Congratulations! It's all about one day at a time, one event at a time and that is how we become successful! I have found that usually my worst fears reside only in my own head!

Awesome!! Keep up the good work. It is truly a great feeling.

Thank you and thats why i love this site. I read post more than I do post because it is so helpful. This whole experience is and has been and probably at times will be emotionally overwhelming but i know its a good thing. :) I just take it one day at a time and one event at a time. I need to be able to balance my social life and my banded life. I think half the things I worry about are in my head. I do fell bad about not telling everyone but its on a need to know basis until I'm more comfortable. ( my fear of failure is what holds me back i failed on so many diets, lost weight gained it back and more more times then i wish to remember )

When people commented on the fact I lost weight I was semi honest. I said I replaced some meals with Protein shakes and have been walking all of which is true I jsut didnt mention my tool the lap band. Im usually very honest and am like yeah this is the truth take it or leave it its who I am but this time Im more guarded. This tool and change is for me first and Ill share with others as I feel necessary. Everyone on this site so far has been wonderful I read a few post from some people who need to get a grip but there is good and bad everywhere. I am so greatfull for this site and all the great people on it.

This is an intensely personal journey. Me - I don't have any qualms whatsoever about telling strangers or anyone else about the band.

However - my employer has a big emphasis right now on wellness programs (they get a break on health insurance premiums, I think, for having employees participate in wellness programs). There are financial incentives for logging any wellness activity, such as exercise. It's possible to actually earn a total of a couple of hundred dollars per year by working out, etc. I could easily qualify for these incentives, but I refuse to log and turn in my activities. For me, it's very personal and I don't want to share it with them. I think I'm afraid that it will turn in to something different. Right now, I'm doing it for me. I don't want this to be about them.

Frankly, getting up at 4:45 every morning and spending an hour at the gym working my a$$ off is not worth a few measly hundred dollars. (Don't get me wrong - I'm not rolling in money - it would come in handy). I have fought my weight all my life. I can't tell you how many times my parents offered me money, shopping trips, bedroom makeovers, etc. as incentives for losing weight. It only compounded my failures and - thanks to my passive aggressive nature - became a dis-incentive.

This is MY journey and I get to decide who I invite to share it.

Tell only those people with whom you are comfortable, and only when you are comfortable - and refuse to feel guilty or dishonest. This is YOURS and it's for YOU!!!

Shelly

Great job ... my first outing after surgery was a birthday dinner in a steak house.. at that point I could only eat some mashed potatoes and applesauce.. everybody knew about my surgery and I wasn't embarrassed at all...