Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Slipped - What Now?

Hey guys. Looking for feedback from anyone that has had issues with the following: band slip (including how/if it was fixed and costs involved), severe heartburn/acid reflux and conversion from band to sleeve. Any responses are much appreciated as this is difficult time for me with a lot of things in the air.

My story so far....

Banded and loving it for over 6 years. Last fill was 4 years ago and it was perfect. Lost nearly 100 lbs total and maintained within 5 pounds the whole time. Over the past 6 months I have gone up in 5 lb increments. 205-210 was no longer the range when I hit the scale. It became 210-215, then 215-220. Also, I have been experiencing strong heartburn and nightime reflux for about one year now. Headed in for a fill on Tuesday afternoon of this week.

4 years ago I was at 5.75. When I went in the other day I was 5.5. They took me to 6.0 and it was ugly. I could drink, but it's like it wasn't making it through the band. A couple of spoonfulls of mashed potatoes and I was fully blocked. Went back in yesterday and they dropped to 5.5. Things were somehow worse. liquids would just build up, had to spit constantly and I couldn't lie down. Went in this morning and barium was just pooling and slowly dripping through. Also, band looked to be horizontal on the xrays. They took out all the fill and I can now drink successfully, haven't tried real food yet.

We are going to let it sit for a couple weeks and see it it goes back in place. As you can imagine, I have a million questions about what happens next. What percentage of band slips can be fixed? How many fix on their own? How many need to be moved? How many need to be replaced? Is there long term damage caused by the slip? Do I have to pay the full surgery cost again if they have to replace? Can I switch to a sleeve? If so, is there a cost for that?

Millions of questions :) I am thankful for any answers!

Sorry to hear that you are having such difficulties with your band. I am curious as to how a band that has been in place for 6 years can/would slip. I would think that after that length of time it would be firmly in place.....or have I just totally missed something? Good luck!

If a slip is going to happen it usually happens in the first few months or after major weight loss. However, they can happen any time and most people I know that have had them it happened to them after their first year.

Thanks so much

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

My band has not slipped, but it is extremely sensitive to my stress level. Recently, because so many major life events were happening all at the same time, my band tightened up to the point where I was having the horrific reflux at night. I had moved to another state, and had to consult with a different surgeon who was not familiar with my medical history. If a band has slipped, the first recommended action is usually to unfill it entirely and wait for 4-6 weeks to see if the band will reposition itself. Unfilling my suddenly overly tight band and following a few simple changes in my evening routine has allowed me to get complete relief from nighttime reflux and decent sleep again. As for revising to another procedure, it would be best to consult with a physician who is aware of your medical history. I have already been advised that I am NOT an acceptable candidate to revise to the sleeve due to my long history with GERD. It is not advisable from what my physicians have told me to allow the band to remain too tight. There are real risks for medical complications. I hope you feel better fast...but in my experience the only way to do that was with a complete unfill.

I had a slip after eight months. It needed to be fixed surgically, so I wanted to revise to the sleeve. My surgeon said revision surgery is not always the answer. Fortunately he was also approved to do plication, so I had my slip repaired surgically and plication added. As far as insurance goes, it was billed just like the original surgery was.

My band slipped after 7years and I was so upset and mad as I thought we had a great relationship but he slipped up and had to leave me so I've replaced him with a 11 cc and I hate this band so different to the 4cc band but I'm a bit scared that this one has slipped as well but I will wait and see I say this because never really had any restriction with the new band and had lunch the other day and I had grated carrot and celery yes I know celery isn't that good if your banded and I was so full after a couple of mouthfuls and thought this is great then tea had the same and I vomited ever since then I can feel restriction like with my 4cc band can drink and eat but only a little bit and I'm full for hours no pain but am gurgling a bit and burping go back to DR in 3 weeks and will see maybe just a bit of celery caught who knows.then my weight is ok 63 kg was 112kg but I love my band and if it has slipped again I will have a big dummy spit xx

My band slipped 6-1/2 yrs after i got banded. Finding out today if the 6 weeks of unfill has helped.

My band was just over 1 year old when I started having bad reflux for about 2 weeks,doctor did a complete un-fill,x-ray showed a slip. Surgeon did repositioning surgery and hernia repair. Started back on progression diet.now 2 months post op and back on the losing track.

Had a fill at 6 weeks post op.

Then an un-fill.Then a fill and now losing again.

The slip turned out to be just a small bump in the road for me.

Good luck to you.

For those of you that have experienced a slip, do you know what caused yours?

For myself....total non-compliance

Several possible factors contributed to my slip.

Probably some "over feeding" on my part!

Slow movement toward "slider foods".

Ignoring the reflux that got worse in spite of medication.

I learned a hard lesson. But gained knowledge from the experience.

Mine was also non compliance. After a week of violent vomiting after the smallest bites of food or small sips of beverages, I realized I had a blockage from celery I had eaten for lunch... Ugghhh.... It was horrible. My surgeon removed Fluid from my band and flushed the celery thru. I felt like a million bucks IMMEDIATELY!! Due to the vomiting for so long, he sent me for an upper GI. Sure enough, my band had slipped and also have abdominal prolapse. He removed all fluid from my band and I am scheduled for my repair on August 9. I was bummed because I feel like I was getting close to being in the "green zone" when this happened, but I am excited to restart my journey and play by the rules this time!! I hope everything turns out ok with your band!

I'm scared that I'm in your same boat! I have has mine 5 years with great success -140. And very few probs. I hadn't been to my doc in about 3 yrs because I felt great. But over the last 6 months or so I have had heart burn, some reflux, and I have been able to eat too much which has causes me to gain close to 29 lbs. I finally went Monday (please don't put it off like me people) and they completely I filled my band. She thinks I have just stretched my pouch. But I go in tomorrow for an upper gi. I'm anxiously awaiting and I hope it's just stretched! I hope yours is an easy fix too. Ill watch for updates on you!