Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Daily Calories... I dont understand

Something that has been on my mind - calorie intake after getting the band.

What is your average daily calories. My doc put me on a 1,000 calorie diet. I am struggling to get there on the pureed diet but im doing ok. Isnt there something to be said about putting your body in "starvation mode"? My mind cant wrap around 1000 cal being a healthy amount to put into your body. Doesnt your body need more nourishment?

Before surgery I went through the iDXA scan and metabolism check. When they checked it - in order for me to maintain my weight I could eat 2,100 cal, to lose weight 1,700 with no exercise. So now that I am only eating 800 - 1000 calories of food why isnt my body losing weight?

Being as you now have the band, your nutritional needs are going to be different than a person without the band. Essentially, you need less food for your body to feel like it's had enough.

You'll also find a vast array of diets and calorie ranges here, too. I personally stay around 1200 calories a day and do well on it.

One other thing to point out- according to your profile, you've lost 27 pounds since you were banded 8 short weeks ago. Why do you say you're not losing weight when clearly you are? The average weight loss with the band is 1-2 pounds per week. If your profile is correct, then you've lost an average of more than 3 pounds a week. I'd say you're doing great and have nothing to worry about.

Being as you now have the band, your nutritional needs are going to be different than a person without the band. Essentially, you need less food for your body to feel like it's had enough.

You'll also find a vast array of diets and calorie ranges here, too. I personally stay around 1200 calories a day and do well on it.

One other thing to point out- according to your profile, you've lost 27 pounds since you were banded 8 short weeks ago. Why do you say you're not losing weight when clearly you are? The average weight loss with the band is 1-2 pounds per week. If your profile is correct, then you've lost an average of more than 3 pounds a week. I'd say you're doing great and have nothing to worry about.

My weight loss has been

6/9 - Starting weight 265

6/10 - 6/20 (Preop Diet) Lost 17pds (248pds)

6/20 - 7/3 ( 2 weeks Post op) Lost 10 (238pds)

7/3 - today I flux between 240 - 238

What type of diet have you been doing?

My weight loss has been

6/9 - Starting weight 265

6/10 - 6/20 (Preop Diet) Lost 17pds (248pds)

6/20 - 7/3 ( 2 weeks Post op) Lost 10 (238pds)

7/3 - today I flux between 240 - 238

What type of diet have you been doing?

My diet is very simple. I eat between 1000-1200 calories a day and get in a minimum of 60g of Protein daily. I don't do the whole low carb fad thing nor do I count carbs.

I also never eat more than a cup of food per meal.

Very simple but it works for me. The trick is figuring out what works best for you and your metabolism. Everyone is different and everyone has different nutritional needs.

I'm like Guymontag. I don't count calories either but I don't do carbs either. My eating habits change every single day so some days I may eat 1200 calories or a little more but most other days I eat less than 1000 calories. Yesterday I was so craving a Burger and fries so this was my lunch but I didn't have Breakfast. My dinner was a couple bowls of pinto Beans and Vienna sausages and a cheese stick. Today, I'm not that hungry but had a bowl of pinto beans for breakfast and I'm sipping on a smoothie.< /p>

Thanks Mis73, I too am struggling with weight loss. Since March 13, 2013...I have lost nothing...but I am going to try your very simple diet. I have had no guidance with food at all. I meet with NuT on July 17. Thanks again.

I prefer to call this "Eating healthy" and not a diet. The word diet brings back memories of being hungry all the time. Deprivation is not a way of life for me. I get hungry every 3-5 hours now. And I eat normal foods. I stay away from processed carbs, refined sugar and high fat foods. That keeps my caloric intake around 1400/day.

I have a daily calorie 'budget' of 1200. Sometimes I eat less than that, but most days I stay close to 1200. I also focus on getting a minimum of 60g of Protein, and drinking at least 64oz of Water. I feel like I eat real, not diet...I haven't totally eliminated any of my favorite foods, and going out to eat remains part of my routine. I just make sure everything I eat stays within my daily calorie budget (I call it a budget, because it helps me to think of it as money in the bank...can't spend it if you don't have it)

I'm lucky if I get in 800 calories a day, I'm one week short of 7 months post op. I stay away from processed foods and eat lean Proteins, veggies and fruit.....I always get in between 100 and 120 oz of Water a day. I just had my labs done a few weeks ago and my doc said everything looks great. Like Missy said everyone's nutritional needs are different, this works for me. I hope you find what works for you. Best Wishes :)

With regards to an earlier post, eating "low carb" is NOT a fad diet. It is studied and documented that carbs are what caused many of us to become obese, and there is a mechanism in the brain that causes craving for additional carbs if UNHEALTHY carbs are consumed. We do need some carbs, but what has worked thus far for me is to limit carbs, and make the ones I have healthy ones which naturally occur in the foods we eat. I was advised never to count calories, comply with recommended portion size, only choose lean Proteins and naturally occurring carbs in fruits and vegetables, and now a few whole grain options such as unrefined oatmeal.< /p>

I counted calories when my band was leaking in order to lose, but I don't count them when my band is working, because when it's working well, it helps me manage my intake all on it's own. Having a band changes the rules for me: I eat well, Protein, veg then carbs in that order, and I exercised til I was dripping with sweat 30 mins 3 times a week, and I let the band tell me when to stop eating. And I didn't count the calories that went in or what I worked off. I don't drink shakes to 'up' my calorie count. I just live life with the band and let it do it's thing.

That seemed to have worked well for me. And thankfully for me, is a lot less complicated. I really hated counting calories!

With regards to an earlier post, eating "low carb" is NOT a fad diet. It is studied and documented that carbs are what caused many of us to become obese, and there is a mechanism in the brain that causes craving for additional carbs if UNHEALTHY carbs are consumed. We do need some carbs, but what has worked thus far for me is to limit carbs, and make the ones I have healthy ones which naturally occur in the foods we eat. I was advised never to count calories, comply with recommended portion size, only choose lean Proteins and naturally occurring carbs in fruits and vegetables, and now a few whole grain options such as unrefined oatmeal.

Actually, it is. First the fad was low Protein, then low fat, now low carb. Every decade or so someone decides something new is the "right" way to diet and everyone jumps on the bandwagon. When really at the end of the day, all that matters is what works for you.

And as far as studies, it's moderately unfortunate but you can find a study that supports pretty much whatever eating habits you prefer. Here is a documented study against low carb dieting: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/06/time-to-retire-the-low-carb-diet-fad/258343/

I don't believe low carb or high carb is right or wrong. I believe everyone has to figure what works for their body. Low carb doesn't work for me- and I had the high cholesterol and kidney infections in the past to prove it. I've lost almost 220 pounds while eating carbs so for me, it works.

Actually, it is. First the fad was low Protein, then low fat, now low carb. Every decade or so someone decides something new is the "right" way to diet and everyone jumps on the bandwagon. When really at the end of the day, all that matters is what works for you.

And as far as studies, it's moderately unfortunate but you can find a study that supports pretty much whatever eating habits you prefer. Here is a documented study against low carb dieting: http://www.theatlant...iet-fad/258343/

I don't believe low carb or high carb is right or wrong. I believe everyone has to figure what works for their body. Low carb doesn't work for me- and I had the high cholesterol and kidney infections in the past to prove it. I've lost almost 220 pounds while eating carbs so for me, it works.

Well, just let me ask you yet again what professional credentials you hold through completing education at accredited institutions of higher learning, along with Board Certification in any medical specialty which gives you the authority to controvert what qualified medical professionals advise their patients?? Though my experience, it is generally agreed that on this open forum we share our experiences, best practices, and sometimes opinions. We all should agree that we are not qualified, the operative word here is QUALIFIED, to render medical advise and encourage others to seek such advise from their own medical tram, as they are the ones who will oversee the care of their patients. What belief system do you adhere to in which you feel empowered and qualified to state your opinion in a way that is misleading, which incidentally is in direct opposition to the directions I was advised to follow by my nutritionist, and two different surgeons in 2 different states?? I read journals also, and studied how carbs and their effect on the brain follow many of the same neural pathways that also are affected by illicit drugs which have a high potential to be addictive. Carbs are addictive, and I understand this first hand as an obese individual and a CAP. Look that one up if you don't know what the acronym represents. In your post, it was positive that you wrote that "anything goes carb" diet is what works for you. Good for you...my medical team would have issues with your diet of choice. Yes, you have lost an impressive amount of weight, and I am genuinely pleased for you...however, please, in the interests of all forum members refrain from posting trite remarks that "A Low carb diet is a FAD diet", It is not a fad, and you are right, you can usually locate a "statistical evaluation" research study to prove or disprove just about any research focus if you look for it. As you do this, also look into who funded the study. I also have read numerous journal articles and research studies in the course of my professional career, and let me say that there are many that the results are statistically skewed in the direction to favorably prove the study results to the positive of who provided the funding that get published. I would feel dismayed if new bandsters were to get confused, take your opinion as the gold standard they should follow without asking their own physicians, and believe that a member of this forum's lay opinion would trump that of their professionally qualified medical team. IMHO...I realize your mileage varies...let's allow individuals an opportunity to follow the medical advice of the team whose expertise they have paid for, or at least ask genuine questions. Post like yours, IMHO, are capricious and not in the best interests of the forum participants.

Well, just let me ask you yet again what professional credentials you hold through completing education at accredited institutions of higher learning, along with Board Certification in any medical specialty which gives you the authority to controvert what qualified medical professionals advise their patients?? Though my experience, it is generally agreed that on this open forum we share our experiences, best practices, and sometimes opinions. We all should agree that we are not qualified, the operative word here is QUALIFIED, to render medical advise and encourage others to seek such advise from their own medical tram, as they are the ones who will oversee the care of their patients. What belief system do you adhere to in which you feel empowered and qualified to state your opinion in a way that is misleading, which incidentally is in direct opposition to the directions I was advised to follow by my nutritionist, and two different surgeons in 2 different states?? I read journals also, and studied how carbs and their effect on the brain follow many of the same neural pathways that also are affected by illicit drugs which have a high potential to be addictive. Carbs are addictive, and I understand this first hand as an obese individual and a CAP. Look that one up if you don't know what the acronym represents. In your post, it was positive that you wrote that "anything goes carb" diet is what works for you. Good for you...my medical team would have issues with your diet of choice. Yes, you have lost an impressive amount of weight, and I am genuinely pleased for you...however, please, in the interests of all forum members refrain from posting trite remarks that "A Low carb diet is a FAD diet", It is not a fad, and you are right, you can usually locate a "statistical evaluation" research study to prove or disprove just about any research focus if you look for it. As you do this, also look into who funded the study. I also have read numerous journal articles and research studies in the course of my professional career, and let me say that there are many that the results are statistically skewed in the direction to favorably prove the study results to the positive of who provided the funding that get published. I would feel dismayed if new bandsters were to get confused, take your opinion as the gold standard they should follow without asking their own physicians, and believe that a member of this forum's lay opinion would trump that of their professionally qualified medical team. IMHO...I realize your mileage varies...let's allow individuals an opportunity to follow the medical advice of the team whose expertise they have paid for, or at least ask genuine questions. Post like yours, IMHO, are capricious and not in the best interests of the forum participants.

Wow, what exactly is your problem?

I stated repeatedly that this is what is best for me. This is what works FOR ME. I also said I didn't believe either was right or wrong, just a matter of what works best for each individual person. I also said that everyone has to figure out what works best for them. Never did I say "don't ask your doctor" nor did I claim to be an expert. I was very clear that this my opinion and experience.

Posting that study was simply proving a point, that it doesn't matter what eating style you favor, there is going to be study either disproving or supporting it. Again, I was clear on this as well.

Post likes yours, IMHO, are needlessly defensive and attacking.