Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Odd rib pain, please help!

So I will preface this post by saying I am a pretty big hypocondriac but I am stumped as to what could be going on with me so maybe you all could help!

To start off I was banded on may 15 2012. I was 257 at my highest weight, 225 on my surery date and I am 180 now

Here's what's going on. I am having this weird discomfort/pain on my left lower rib cage, pretty much right where the underwire of my bra is and extending that way towards my side/back. The weird thing that I have recently noticed is that my left rib cage is raised a decent amount higher than my right one. When I lay flat on my stomach or press down on both sides of my rib cage it is pretty obvious. But, I don't know if this is just how I was born or something new because I never noitced my ribs as much when I was more overweight! It hurts to sleep on my left side and when my boyfriend accidentally squeezes me there or pokes me there it is a pretty sharp pain that takes a few minutes to go away.

I have shown the weird rib thing to my doctor before and the first time he said it was probably just how I was born and more recently when I told him abou the pain he said I had probably pulled a muscle in my ribs working out and that they were swallown and that it was nothing to do with my band.

However, I do not know what else could be causing it! It have laid off doing anything put cardio as far as excersie goes and it hasn't gotten better. While I am not really having any problems eating or any real signs of a lap band slip I am still scared of it! I have had a werid lump kind of feeling in the back of my throat while eating sometimes but it is nothing major and only once in a while. I also know I am not too tight because I recently got a slight unfill because my prior fill was too tight.

I was thinking it would be something with my spleen but I am no expert so who knows! I have a fill on the 25th and will feel better emotionally once my doctor looks at my band and says it is ok but if anyone has any thought until then I would appriciate it!!

I'd ask for an X-ray, but I wonder if it might be gas... Maybe try taking some gasx and see if it helps. If it doesn't, you can at least rule it out...

Your diaphragm is shaped like a parachute and is situated behind your rib cage. Your stomach is also situated more to the left in the abdomen. I wonder if your band is causing some irritation to your diaphragm on the left side? The lump in the throat can be caused by esophageal spasms. And that can cause some strange pains in seemingly unrelated areas.

That's the only thing that occurs to me. Sorry I can't be of more help. I hope you can find out what the problem is.

I got my surgery on July 15 2013 And I've been having that sharp pain on my Left lower rib As well But just on my lower rib Very sharp indeed It's not an all-day And at the same time I can hear my My insides Crying But I notice when I drink something It goes away. I'm kind of freaking out on it too Because I'm scared That my band will slip:(

I'd ask for an X-ray' date=' but I wonder if it might be gas... Maybe try taking some gasx and see if it helps. If it doesn't, you can at least rule it out...[/quote']

Where can I get Gasx Is it over-the-counter stuff?

I got my surgery on July 15 2013 And I've been having that sharp pain on my Left lower rib As well But just on my lower rib Very sharp indeed It's not an all-day And at the same time I can hear my My insides Crying But I notice when I drink something It goes away. I'm kind of freaking out on it too Because I'm scared That my band will slip:(

You're still healing, so don't get too freaked out over pains. Your stomach has been traumatized and will take time to heal fully. Try to be positive during this time and don't focus on band slippage while you're healing and just getting started. GasX is over the counter and you can buy it at any store. Only if that pain is still occurring a month from now should you be concerned. It will take at least 6 weeks (maybe more) for your body to heal from the surgery. Take care.

Thank you!:)

I know how nerve wracking it is. You'll feel much better after you're healed up. Right now everything in your body feels fragile, doesn't it? But it gets better. ;)

I'm 9 months pregnant and have been experiencing the same pain you have described! My Dr told me its gas trapped between my diaphram and uterus. Mine always hurts so bad after I eat, to the point I will be in tears and the only relief I get is to lay down. My friend said it is the band irritating my diaphragm. I'm just hoping and praying it hasn't slipped or anything. Good luck! I hope you get some relief soon