Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What not to say to somebody who is getting a band...

Oh my gosh SO TRUE!!!!

If one more person tells me "You should stop eating carbs" I may lose it. I've lost over 200 pounds while eating carbs so I *think* I know what I'm doing. It drives me positively insane!

I've heard the "don't get too skinny!" comment a lot lately too. Hellllooo, I still have another 40-50 pounds to lose! I am no risk of looking like an anorexic, trust me people.

Band specific ones:

-People expecting me to drop 200 pounds in 6 months. Are you freak'n kidding me?

- People who think this is the easy way. There is nothing easy about changing my entire lifestyle, counting every single calorie that goes into my mouth, and pushing my body to do exercises it hasn't done since I was a teenager. I've worked my butt off (literally!) for every ounce I've lost and it's not "easy".

I always try to share my story and say what worked for me rather than telling others what they need to do. What worked for me worked but it may not work for them. I dislike it when people say, THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED TO DO all matter of factly.

this falls into the pet peeve/things i wish my mother would stop saying: every time i see her she spends 15 seconds commending my new habits and then immediately launches into something else I should be doing. "Oh that's great you went for a walk today, have you also been to the gym?"..."I'm so glad you're eating more Protein - you should also be drinking kefir every day"... it goes on and on. this weekend i told her to knock it off. we'll see how long it lasts.

this falls into the pet peeve/things i wish my mother would stop saying: every time i see her she spends 15 seconds commending my new habits and then immediately launches into something else I should be doing. "Oh that's great you went for a walk today, have you also been to the gym?"..."I'm so glad you're eating more Protein - you should also be drinking kefir every day"... it goes on and on. this weekend i told her to knock it off. we'll see how long it lasts.

And our parents wonder why we got fat?!?

When my mom realized I was now wearing clothes 3 sizes smaller than she wears, her response was "oh great, now I'm the fattest one in the family"

Geesh!!

I hate "so how much have you lost so far?" and "wow, you don't look like you need to lose any more". Not lose any more? Please give me your rose coloured glasses because I have at least 45 more pounds to go to be at a "healthy" weight!!

I do love to hear I look good and a "way to go" for all the hard work I am putting into this :D :D :D :D

I can so relate to this post and others that have posted!!

:wub:

That's why I wish NO ONE knew about my band sometimes!! :( Those few who do...already drive me nuts! Sorry but all the questions...

How much have you lost? (ReAlLy...It's BEEN TWO WEEKS)!!! :angry:

Don't eat too much, make sure YOU chew, is that mushie enough?

And is it just me but Do others feel poeple are CONSTANTLY :o seizing you up and down...like trying to see if there is a difference yet.

(Whewww...sorry for ranting but I sure feel better and I bet some of you can relate). :blink:

OMG - my mom came by today - literally 15 minutes after i wrote my post AND DID IT AGAIN! i called her on it immediately. she just texted me that she's sorry and will keep trying to be less of an ***hole.

The pre-op comment I hated the most was "Be Careful". Really people I spent 7 months researching this before I moved forward!

My least favorite now is "How much have youl lost?" I am only 2 weeks post-op leave me alone! LOL

Too funny, but I am so tired of people (morbidly obese that is) telling me I hope you not planning on losing anymore!!!! After they tell me how good I look. Um, yo big but need to be doing the same thing. I'm trying to live a longer life for my kids and myself and not die early because I'm obese. Really??? UGH!!!!! :angry: That really works my nerves sorry.

I love the "ooooooooooohhhhhhh...." Very knowing look when they find out you have the lapband followed by "my aunt/brother/mother/neighbor/coworker got it and they are still fat."

Thank you for your support.

LOL! I so totally agree with each and every one of you! "They" just don't have a clue........I just have to hope that they mean well!

When my mom realized I was now wearing clothes 3 sizes smaller than she wears, her response was "oh great, now I'm the fattest one in the family"

Geesh!!

I've had two friends say that to me, too!