Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couple Questions

I am in the process of gathering information as I am close to making the ultimate life decision of getting a lapband :) So in terms of insurance. After the initial surgery are the follow-up programs covered? Are fills or checkups with surgeon/doctor covered? And if there are complications in the future are the things necessary to fix them covered as well?

Appreciate any answers :)

J*

Sorry hon but it's impossible for any of us to answer your questions. Every insurance company covers different things and sometimes it's specific to locale, even employer. You will have to consult with your insurance company

Yes, it all depends on your insurance, etc. I'm a self pay and only the first fill is covered in the price I paid for the surgery. After that, it's going to be $200 for each fill. I'm going for my first fill on Monday. Congratulations on making your decision to change your life and in meeting the insurance requirements. Best wishes. :)

I'm still going through insurance hell right now and best thing I can tell you is make sure that you going to a hospital that your insurance covers 100% there were some hospitals that my insurance will only cover 50% of the procedure so I had to change hospitals I'm waiting for approval on Monday for my surgery on Wednesday. As far as fills go my doctor includes your first six fills in the program after that does Bill insurance form for my insurance only allows so many per year that something else you might want to check out

As others have already posted, every insurance policy is different, so to be certain about what is covered it is best to contact the insurance company to determine ahead of time what is covered, what is excluded, and what portion of the cost if anything you will be responsible for.

Usually there will be a difference in level of coverage depending if the hospital and medical group you choose is in the insurance company's network of preferred providers. I had to chose a "Center for Excellence" for maximum coverage. It is really better to go to that type of center anyway, IMHO, as the pre op education they require is most helpful to you the patient.

I have experienced several complications, ranging from an additional surgery, a hospital admission for diagnostics, to several visits to the ER. All were covered by my insurance as they would any other medical need.

Luckily I am having surgery at DMC which is a Center of Excellence. Sounds like you have had some problems with your band I hope you are ok now.