Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I made a mistake.

My surgery is coming up fast. Only 5 more days. Im excited but I'm also terribly nervous because during my pre-op diet I cheated!

The surgical coordinator told me I could mix the shakes with almond milk so I did for the first few days but she was mistaken.

Then just 2 days ago I felt like I was starving and I ate about a third of a chicken breast. I'm terrified that they will open me up for surgery and find my liver is still too big or too fatty and it will have all been for not. Any words of wisdom? Has anyone here had a slip up and was still able to go through the surgery? I need to hear that it will be ok.

you'll be fine !!! your not the first and sure won't be the last !!! Good Luck and Congrats

I'm sure a small piece of chicken won't screw up the process but now that it's done, don't do it again. I'm sure that if you adhere to the pre-op diet for the remainder of the five days, you'll be OK for the procedure.

no worries, you will be fine :)

Not to worry, one little slip up will not make or break your liver! I think we all worry about that fatty liver when we go in for surgery! I know the first thing I asked when I woke up was "Was my liver ok, did I shrink it enough!" That got a chuckle from my recovery room nurse! I wasn't worried about pain or anything else, my first thought was my liver. lol Turns out it was fine and I had a few slip ups before my surgery!

My doc had a cancellation so I only had four days to prep. I mentioned that and they said it was ok because I had lost about 10 pounds when I went to the nutritionist . I'm on day 5 now and I've only lost 2 pounds (first surgery had to be cancelled because I came down with Lyme disease 2 days before)

My doctor doesn't even believe in the pre-op diet. I ate normally right up until 36 hours before surgery, and then just liquids the day before!! You will be fine! Best of luck!! Best decision I ever made!

No worries, you'll be fine. :) I am 20 days post-op. My doc told me to do liquids "3 or 4 days before surgery." I decided to do the 4 days. On the evening of day 3, just 2 days before surgery, I also felt like I was starving and ate 2 large slices of cheese pizza. Far worse than chicken breast....lol But no problems at all. My surgery took only 25 minutes and when I asked the doc if he had any problems getting around the liver he said "none whatsoever." I tell you, that pre-op liquid diet, even though I only had to do it for a few days, was the worst part of this for me, I think. 18 lbs down as of today and feeling great--I'm so glad I did it. Congrats and best wishes on joining the band life. You're going to be fine. You'll have surgery as planned and then welcome to a new happier and healthier you. :)

Not to worry, one little slip up will not make or break your liver! I think we all worry about that fatty liver when we go in for surgery! I know the first thing I asked when I woke up was "Was my liver ok, did I shrink it enough!" That got a chuckle from my recovery room nurse! I wasn't worried about pain or anything else, my first thought was my liver. lol Turns out it was fine and I had a few slip ups before my surgery!

that was me also pink, the first thing i asked was did you do it and was my liver okay?? my dr told me and his nurse said he had to close 3 patients up because their liver was not as he needed it to be...and that scared me enough to follow the pre op all liquid for 2 1/2 weeks.....doesnt make me better than anyone but it gave me more strength/courage than i ever thought i had.....by the time surgery rolled around i was so in the zone, i was ready for my new change thanks to the band....

That's my biggest fear at the moment... My liver!! My surgeon has said if the liver is still too big he won't do the op! I'm day 3 of the 4 week pre-op diet, and have managed to stick to it so far but am fighting the cravings and temptations and am sure I might slip up at some stage. A friend suggested taking those liver detox tablets for fatty livers to help my liver along.. Has anyone tried this?

The goal of the pre-op liquid diet is to have high Protein - low carb foods (liquid) to shrink the liver. I thought I was dying about 5 days in...no energy, light headed, shaky, couldn't concentrate...and ate some tuna and a boiled egg white. I immediately felt better. After reading what seems like hundreds of blogs & websites I found that most WLS pre-op diets allow one low carb meal a day. I still worried non stop about my liver but added some tuna &/or boiled egg whites to my diet when I started feeling badly, usually in the afternoons. I made my husband ask my surgeon after surgery how my liver looked an he said it was perfect. I'm not saying its the right thing to do, but it was right for me.

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

I am finding the headaches really hard too.. And day 2 was the worst. I had no energy and just wanted to crawl into bed and go to sleep :(

no...it is just a drs preference. Some Drs. (such as mine) didnt require a preop diet at all...just fasting from midnight the day before, so yes you will be fine.