Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting banded July 26th & BMI 32

My experience has been pretty much easy. I haven't had any issues with my band. I went in for surgery around I think it was 9 or 10am...and was on my way home I believe around 3ish. I am not going to sugar coat it...the first week was hell. I would slowly move an inch and wonder what the heck I did to my body and why I would put myself through this. I was second guessing myself like no other! The slightest pain, hurts me. I have no tolerance for pain, AT ALL! So that could have been my problem! With that being said, it did get better! I had surgery on a Friday...and was back at work that following Tuesday (however, I do have a desk job).

I was on liquids for the first week - which I wasn't really even hungry. (I ate alot of pudding, popsicles, etc) The 2nd week was mushy food. (pureed Soups, cottage cheese) 3rd week was soft Protein (egg salad) and 4th week was solid Protein (chicken).

The only thing that kept me going...was my parents. They both have had LapBand for 4-5 years. I have seen their successes and their downfalls. I knew the first week would not be easy...but I knew once I got past that, I would be A-Okay! Again, it varies for everyone...what affects me, may not affect you. I am just a sissy, so everything hurt! LOL

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks,

Toni

Hi, Toni....sorry to keep bothering you with so much questions...how long was the process before you got a surgery date? I heard it could be pretty tedious and take a long time.

It's okay!! I'll answer all the questions you need! This is a big step...you should ask questions! It can be a long tedious process; however my insurance didn't cover me getting Lapband so being self pay makes it a lot quicker. I had my consultation with True Results in mid June 2013...and my surgery was July 26, 2013. So for me, the whole process was a month!

Let me know any other questions!! I'd be glad to answer them!

It's okay!! I'll answer all the questions you need! This is a big step...you should ask questions! It can be a long tedious process; however my insurance didn't cover me getting Lapband so being self pay makes it a lot quicker. I had my consultation with True Results in mid June 2013...and my surgery was July 26, 2013. So for me, the whole process was a month! <br><br> Let me know any other questions!! I'd be glad to answer them!

How much did your procedure cost in total?

My procedure was $9,995.

Hello all. I have finally decided I am done fighting myself so hard. I lost weight 5 years ago. I was for the first time in 10 years down to an ideal weight and bam, I gained it back just shy of 10 pounds. I am 5'1" and a massive 184 lb. I have a small-medium frame so right now I feel large and in charge. It's uncomfortable to site down and feel like the fat around my stomach and sides are cradling me. There are times if I slouch in my chair at work I find it a little difficult to breath. I found an office that is willing to do the band for me. My BMI is 34.5. At this time I don't have any co-morbities but I have a family background of diabetes, and heart disease. I know that I have to work hard even with the surgery but, I am excited to have a tool that will help me along the way. I look forward to being comfortable in my own skin again. I haven't decided what is goal yet. Right now to get to 150 from 184 would be a blessing. I am however a little curious about the progress a low BMI person can make in comparison to those who start with more weight to loose. I plan to excercise the 30 min minumum per day but want to hit the gym at least 3 times a week and maybe 2 classes as well. I want to make sure what ever I do, that I keep it realistic. Something I will want to continue to do. I currently follow two lapbanders on Youtube but they had a lot more weight than I do to loose. Just wondering if anyone about my height and weight has anything they would be willing to share.

Blacktxbelle,

I am 5'0...5'1 on a good day! Lol I started this journey at 163 pounds. I was banded on July 26, 2013. It has been an extremely slow journey for me. But I knew that going into this that I wouldn't lose weight as fast as somebody with a higher BMI. I am currently sitting between 130-133 pounds. Getting below 130 seems to be my hardest thing yet! My goal is to be down to 125. Although sometimes I get depressed thinking why can't it come off faster, I often remind myself that I'm down 30 pounds from the beginning and that in itself is a huge victory. I take a lot of before and after pictures, so that helps me mentally see that I am changing, when sometimes the scale doesn't show.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. I was all over this message board before I had surgery, so I know how it is with wanting to know answers.

Toni

Edited by txgirl10326

Thank you so much for replying. I was so happy when I found this forum but I noticed there isn't as much activity here as there is on the other boards. I know they can relate to some degree but from everything I have read, the journey for those with a higher BMI and a lower BMI can be quite different. If you don't mind me asking, what is you workout like and when did you start working out? Any insight you can give as I gear up for this ride would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Leigh

I have noticed there isn't much activity on these boards as others. Which is why I try to answer any questions; I had a lot of questions before I got the procedure done and it's nice to get the answers. To be honest; I didn't exercise for a while after the surgery. I did do some walking, but that was the extent of it. It took a few months for me to get going with exercise. I started Shaun T's T25 program. I LOVE IT!! However I start it, then life gets busy with school and work and I manage to stop it and I acutally just started it again. I have pictures of me in a swim suit while I was doing it and weighed 138 and looked tone and good. I stopped it and got down to 133. I took pictures of myself at 133 and I was amazed to see that exercise really helps because I look soooo much bigger in the 133 picture then I did in the 138. So I just recently restarted it. I am 8 pounds from goal so I believe that exercise is crucial.

Side note - I like T25 for the mere fact that it is 25 minutes a day, Monday-Friday. Friday is 50 minutes (because you are supposed to double up). With such a busy schedule it is a program that is completely do-able. I completely recommend it!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help you. I am coming up to my one year bandiversary at the end of this month.