Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I have a glass of WINE yet?

Hi everyone... YaY me... I had my first fill today and it was a breeze! I have a couple questions.

1) Why did the dr. put me back on the liquid diet for 3 days? I thought that part was done.

Does this effect the band? How?

2) I gained 1 1/2 lbs since my surgery (before my fill). Dr. said no biggie. Is that normal after the swelling goes down?

And the BIG question... Can I have WINE yet????

I don't feel any different, but I am hungry! I didn't eat before my fill and now back to Clear Liquids for 3 days :(

Hi everyone... YaY me... I had my first fill today and it was a breeze! I have a couple questions.

1) Why did the dr. put me back on the liquid diet for 3 days? I thought that part was done.

Does this effect the band? How?

2) I gained 1 1/2 lbs since my surgery (before my fill). Dr. said no biggie. Is that normal after the swelling goes down?

And the BIG question... Can I have WINE yet????

I don't feel any different' date=' but I am hungry! I didn't eat before my fill and now back to clear liquids for 3 days :([/quote']

1) so the liquid in your bad can settle and your tummy can settle. Every full tightens the band as can irritate so liquids is necessary. I've never heard of liquids for 3 days tho.

2) you are still recovering from surgery. Weight gain is normal ( but frustrating)

3) what did your dr say? Mine said no alcohol for a year. You will absorb it much differently so when you are cleared go slow until you know how it will effect you post band. ( and by slow I mean sips at a time not glasses at a time)

Whenever you mess with your band, such as getting a fill, it can be irritated, inflamed for a few day...eating will only increase the aggravation, and possibly irritate it more....this happens all the time...people will continue to try to eat and only continue to irritate the band....then they cannot understand why they cannot keep anything down.....then they feel the are too tight and get some Fluid taken out,....then start complaining the band is not working!!.......

When all they really needed to do is give the band a few days rest (at least) in the first place.....

As far as wine, it is a liquid....drink whenever you want.....some people stay away from wine because they are still dieting and wine has too many calories for them....

If you drink, you might be affected quicker by the drink. Both me and my son, experienced drink going to our heads, quickly! But, remember they are empty calories, and you need to count them in your daily total! Best wishes, happy Independence Day

Alcohol, carbonation, and caffeine are always hot button issues and surgeons are all over the map with patients instructions. Mine is a "consume what you can tolerate" guy. I consume all without any real issues, although carbonated beverages require sipping not drinking. I still take issue with the alcohol absorption theory because alcohol effects me no different now than before. With bypass patients I understand the argument but band patients don't have any rerouted plumbing and liquids or other sliders, consumed alone, should not have any change in digestion. I think a lot of people's indications regarding alcohol are anecdotal and perceived. I've seen a lot of non banded friends "think" or "feel" intoxicated just because they know something contains alcohol. If you believe alcohol will affect you differently your predisposed for it to.

The real issue for alcohol is it is clearly counterproductive to fat loss... At 7 calories per gram it is the second most dense calorie you can consume. Add sugars in some mixers and byproducts and it can be a bomb... If fat loss is the goal, keep alcohol consumption to a minimum.

Brad

I have an occasional glass of wine especially when I go out to dinner. Have had no concerns. I do have to count it for calories. hugs