Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you could give 1 piece of Pre-op advice, what would it be?

The key to success is rest, hydration, good food choices, sufficient dedicated exercise, and learning your energy balance.

Brad

Portion Control, healthy food choices, proper hydration, and exercise are essential. Keep in good communication with your surgeon and medical team.

I know that was more than one piece of advice, and it was for post op, essential none the less...

Pre op...take a Chapstick with you to the hospital. Comply with your surgeon's pre op instructions, there is a valid reason for them.

Best wishes for a successful journey...

Anti nausea medicine is your best friend after surgery.

Expect your energy to cycle in the two or so weeks post-op. Immediately following, your emotions may swing ("What have I done?") and you may feel sad. As the days progess, this evens out. And some days you'll feel fine, others you'll be very tired. All normal. Walk, walk, walk to avoid blood clots, which are a risk with any abdominal surgery. Even if you are tired, walk a bit each hour; it's very important.

Do not gorge yourself before you start your pre-op diet like there is no tomorrow. Eat sensibly because with the Lapland it is behavior modification so start with good choices. If you're on a pre-op shake diet, ask your diet what you can supplement on your diet food wise if you're still hungry. This is the beginning of a whole new life.

This is all great advice! Thank you for taking the time to respond. I cannot wait to start this transformation. I feel like there is a healthy girl inside dying to get out, and I know this is the tool I need :)

Do not gorge yourself before you start your pre-op diet like there is no tomorrow. Eat sensibly because with the Lapland it is behavior modification so start with good choices. If you're on a pre-op shake diet, ask your diet what you can supplement on your diet food wise if you're still hungry. This is the beginning of a whole new life.

Dawalsh, its like you were reading my mind. I have been craving sweedish meatballs from Ikea and I was going to just pig out on them out of fear and panic. Your right, although I don't know my surgery date, I am going to start slowly preparing by drinking Protein Shakes and sticking to lean meats.....and stop the late night candy eating......and the fast food, ugh (I can't believe I eat that stuff). Anyway, thanks for the reminder and reality check :-)

Dawalsh' date=' its like you were reading my mind. I have been craving sweedish meatballs from Ikea and I was going to just pig out on them out of fear and panic. Your right, although I don't know my surgery date, I am going to start slowly preparing by drinking Protein shakes and sticking to lean meats.....and stop the late night candy eating......and the fast food, ugh (I can't believe I eat that stuff). Anyway, thanks for the reminder and reality check :-)[/quote']

That is a great plan! You will eventually go back to eating those types of food, just turkey meatballs and a healthy pasta!

I gave up certain things while I was waiting for my surgery date so I didn't have to quit everything at once. Sweet, soda, white bread and Pasta were the four I started with.

Pre-op advice, carry a Protein Meal Replacement bar & Water with you when you go out. For ex. I was at the mall for 3 hrs (crazy I know) and everyone got hungry (shocker) so they ate that food court junk and I was prepared and ate my yummy bar. Didn't spend crazy money on fast food nor did I further more harm my body.

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 using LapBandTalk

Don't compare your weight loss to other peoples, it's your journey and you will reach your goal in your time if you work with your band..Best Wishes :)

Work on your mindset prior to getting your band. Know that the band will help you feel fuller for longer, but start from now to work on your fear of loss for the foods you think you'll never eat again (you will, just less of it!), and to recognise when you're really hungry instead of bored, or stressed, or just want to use it to feel good. Try to stop thinking of food as some sort of golden reward, because you get to eat 3 times a days at least for the rest of your life, so food will always be there.

Taste your food, enjoy it, but remember that you don't have to be full in order to stop being hungry, or satisfied.