Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I see people say things about Banaster Hell. Wondering what exactly it is. I got banded a month ago. Going for my 1st fill this week. But I'm starvingggg! The whole 1 c of food is not cutting it. Most days I do great but I notice I Can over eat. I would say I can eat pretty much anything except bread gets stuck OCC. I would say I eat 1/2 of what I use to but probably still double what I'm suppose to. My question is - is this the banister hell everyone talks about & once I get a fill will it help?

Yes, this is it! you described it perfectly and Let's hope you will find put after a fill..for some it helps for others it doesn't :( Think POSITIVE ! it's gonna work, it's gonna work..but either way ..it's WORK ;)

Welcome to hell. Lol. When I was in bandster hell I tried to 'eat right' but I definitely was eating more than one cup of food or whatever it was we were supposed to eat. When you're hungry, eat, and keep getting more fills. You'll make it out of Bandster hell eventually.

Fills should help... it took three before I noticed that I was feeling full after eating a modest amount of food. I also learned that eating Proteins first at all meals seem to help tide me over.

Thanks guys! I def am trying to eat right....but still do not do so all the time. I know it's work- but it's discouraging bc if I was able to not overheat & eat healthy- I wouldn't have needed to be banded. Just feels like I had nothing done at this point :( :( :(

Thanks guys! I def am trying to eat right....but still do not do so all the time. I know it's work- but it's discouraging bc if I was able to not overheat & eat healthy- I wouldn't have needed to be banded. Just feels like I had nothing done at this point :( :( :(

Don't worry, I feel the same way. I just had my third fill today (banded 4 months this Thursday) and I sometimes feel like, what was the point if I still have to be so strict about my diet? But' after my third fill, I started to feel the magic working - just didn't last (which is completely normal). It may take a while but it will be worth it!

Exactly how I feel. If I have to be this strict- then why did I do it? I'm not good at being strict. This is why I am over weight :(

Exactly how I feel. If I have to be this strict- then why did I do it? I'm not good at being strict. This is why I am over weight :(

I completely get it. I'm still in Bandster Hell but it gets better the more fills you have. Having fills and time will help tremendously. I've had a glimpse of the Green Zone so I know going through this period will be worth it!

I'm in bandster hell. Just started feeling it today at 2 weeks post op.

I am 13 days post op and found myself wanting something, anything tonight. I stood in my pantry and had a stare down with the damn Oreos in there. Green Beans were my savior. I won the battle of the Oreo tonight. Green Beans never tasted so good. Lol, stay strong my fellow banders!!

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

When I get to this point I remind myself that the band is just a tool... And if used correctly its very helpful. Self sabotage is soooo easy, I'm definitely to blame there too... Why can't fudge, ice cream & Cookies get stuck? Lol

I’ll going into my 7th year of being banded (this week) and have talked about this here several times but I think it’s worth repeating for new bandsters.

Try and take it one day at a time. Don’t compare yourself to others. Don’t go into this journey saying “I’ll never be able to eat this or that ever again.” I can eat ANYTHING except rice and apple skins and no carbonated beverages. Follow the guidelines given to you by your doctor. Remember… take tiny bites (the size of your pinky fingernail) and remember to finish what you have in your mouth before you take your next bite.

When I was losing weight I checked in every month with my family doctor to get weighed and measured. (I don’t own scales) I also attended two coffee groups for people that were banded. These things really kept me motivated and on track. I still check in every month with my family doctor to get weighed-in and I host two coffee groups. For me support from fellow bandsters plays a big part in this journey.

Back when I was banded my family doctor came up with something called the “Egg Timer Distraction”. It’s kind of difficult to explain here but I’d be happy to email you the .pdf document. It REALLY helped me with “head hunger”. I can’t tell you the number of people in my lapband coffee groups over the years that have said how helpful this “trick” has been in dealing with their head hunger.

Also, I’m not really a “diet” book type person but I recommend you pick up two books.

Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat: How to Break Your Eat-Repent-Repeat Cycle – by Dr. Michelle May

I had the pleasure of hearing Dr. May speak at a conference when she came to Toronto and her book and guidelines really work well with the lapband journey.

The second book is:

The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite – by David L. Kessler

Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions and also if you would like a copy of the “Egg Timer Distraction Document”. --- tomander@bell.net

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 160 lbs

tomander@bell.net

Thanks guys- so helpful to know I'm not alone! Going for a fill on Friday- hoping this works ;)

Docs don't normally do a good job explaining to people that when the surgery swelling subsides the hunger comes screaming back with a vengeance... And it can be overwhelming. They also don't do a good job explaining that you have the tool but it isn't armed yet until you get enough fills for sufficient restriction.

Most of us have traveled the bandster hell road and it is hard, frustrating, and depressing. The sooner you focus on lifestyle changes including eating habits and exercise - the more successful you will be long term.

Brad