Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing weight while pregnant isn't a good idea. The baby needs nutrients and restricting calories to the point of loss isn't the safest idea.

However, I know women who meet with a nutritionist so they know how to eat and only gain weight for the pregnancy and baby itself without gaining a ton of excess fat.

i've heard of women who do, though my doctor was on my rear when i started dropping weight towards the end of pregnancy because i couldn't eat enough. so my nutritionist started making me drink carnation instant Breakfast drinks and eat cheese sticks to keep my calorie count up. i hate cheese sticks now :)

I keep hearing baby first then weight loss...for some woman the weight loss is the only option to having the baby. I for example need lap band to lose the weight to eventually have a baby.

When we say baby first we mean if you are already pregnant worry about having the baby and then lose weight afterwards. If you need to lose weight to get pregnant then go for it. Just realize it's likely you'll gain a lot back during the pregnancy but that is usually the norm.

I've gotten mixed messages on this one; I guess it depends on your starting weight. If you've lost most of your band weight then they'd probably tell you no, but I've known women who got pregnant like 2 months after getting banded and their doctors were okay with them losing weight because they had a 'buffer' to work with. I know my doctor told me to wait at least 18 months after surgery to try and get pregnant (it was a little over 2 years since surgery for me) so I don't think he'd be thrilled if I was still losing weight while I was pregnant.

Hi there! :)

There is no one good answer for this question.

It very much depends on the person's weight. If you'r overweight or obese its not advisable to gain too much weight. between 11-18lbs. I will take me as an example, i currently weigh 185lbs. I'm 5"2" and am 9 weeks preggers. My ob which practices 30 years+ said it's ok for me to loose weight, since I am obese. He wants to keep an eye on the baby to make sure "it" gains enough weight. Which shouldnt be a problem. He has a lot of bandsters patients. So he's very experienced.

I dont need to gain the average 40lbs, its not good for my health, I would be at risk for Diabetes, Pre eclamsia, etc. which are all harmful for the baby.

Of course it has to be done in a healthy way, and not starving yourself. You have to eat nutritious food. People always make the mistake, "YOU HAVE TO EAT FOR 2" , which is wrong. you eat for you and a tiny person, that doesnt need more than an extra 300 calories. Most moms to be gain more than they have to, coz pregnancy is a time they let loose, which I completely understand.

Hope I was able to clarify a little bit.

best of Luck to all of you!! :)