Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling like i made a mistake...

Did anyone else have a post-op feeling that they just made the biggest mistake with the lapband? I am hoping that when I am feeling better and getting back to normal (especially food wise) I will be out of this mindset.

I didn't it was only once during vacation which was 3 weeks after... i hear that is common though and it will pass..

I didn't ever have that feeling , I just looked at everything as a temporary stage and when it was the right time I would move on to the next stage. ( but I have heard its not uncommon to feel you made a big mistake, a "what have I done ?" feeling ) I took everything on a day to day basis, followed my Drs rules 95% of the time , read everything I could, followed this forum and listed to my body. 18 months later I still think it was the best decision I could of made. I literally got my life back !!! Good luck to you, you can do this !!!

A few times I wondered; my incision got infected & the meds have kept me nausea. I think it passes with everyone. My friend had Gastic Bypass in 2011& she was regretful at first but lost 150 lbs.

I said to myself after the surgery... what have I done... after day 3... I had a big burp... the shoulder pain was gone and I've never looked back. No regrets at all.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs

"Buyers Remorse"....it's very common to hear those same emotions/feelings on here shortly after surgery. I asked myself those same questions, almost 4 years and 125 pounds ago....

Kinda like after you make a large investment (maybe a car) in anything. You ask yourself, "did I make the right decision/purchase?" What if I can't afford (do) this? What if it's a lemon ( doesn't work for me )? Could I have just walked to my destination and not needed that new car (surgery)? Maybe its a stickshift and I'll have to learn how to drive it ( adjust to this new life )? Lots of emotions may cross your mind....as they did mine.

But then after some period of time, you get used to driving that new car (banded life) and you enjoy it! And wonder why didn't I get me some new wheels ( do this ) sooner! It may not be easy to feel this right now....but you will, just NEVER, EVER GIVE UP on what those goals you have for yourself are. Best wishes. :)

The week of recovery post surgery I felt terrible. I have never felt so uncomfortable and worried whether I did the right thing. Fortunately, heading out for a walk took my kind off it for a while, and I'm happy to say post recovery and 3 kgs away from my goal weight within 12 months I don't regret it at all.

Best wishes for your recovery. You can do it

yes it is a normal feeling.. I thought for about a week that this was a bad decision.. now after losing 45 lbs and feeling so good I am very happy that I had my surgery... Give it some time and you will start feeling better...

The first week was horrible for me. I spent the fifth day post-op in the ER thinking something had to be horribly wrong -- of course, nothing was. Then the 7th day was my first day back at work and I thought I was dying... didn't have any pain; I was just so weak and light-headed I thought I was going to pass out.

The 7th day was the worst day I had and also the last day I felt bad. Woke up on the 8th day and felt good felt fully recovered at that point. That was a year and a half ago and now I can easily say the band is the best thing I've ever done for myself!!

Just hang in there and you'll get to the good part ;-)

I felt the same at first but then I went from over 300 to 180 in 1 year and I am happy with the results and you will be also!! The feel will pass and when you wear the smaller clothing and looking and feeling healthy it will all come into place!!

Same here. I remember thinking to my self "what have I done" . It seemed like everyone on the site did so well, some returned to work in less than a week. I guess because I had 2 hernias and some adhesions removed it was more painful....I don't know. But it took a good week before I felt like " ok I can do this" and probably another week before I was back on my feet and ready to make this work.

So hang in there. It will get better. I'm 15 months post op lost 88 pounds and at my goal weight of 148 pounds. Best thing I ever did for myself.

I had my surgery on Friday June 21st. Yesterday I had that feeling....what am I gonna do now? I guess what I am struggling with is how everything I used to do with my husband was wrapped around food. Its someone birthday...Lets Eat! The kids are all out....Lets go out to dinner! Its a lazy Saturday afternoon...whats in the fridge? Wanna go for a ride? NO because I just see all the fastfood joints I used to go to. A PITY PARTY I was having. But today I woke up and looked here for encouragement and found it. I know I can do this. I know this is such a blessing. I am gonna work this band to get me where I need to go.

Yep, feeling that way now with the pain in the port area and taking over an hour to drink a glass of Fluid. Surgery was June 21st, so I am only 2 days out.

Glad you posted this, the responses are encouraging.

I am gonna follow you. Please do the same for me. We will encourage one another. One day at a time. You arent alone nor am I. Thanks for the reminder :)

Now I am gonna go for a walk because I live in Arizona and its only 7:40am....I am hoping it is under 100 degrees.

I had my surgery on Friday June 21st. Yesterday I had that feeling....what am I gonna do now? I guess what I am struggling with is how everything I used to do with my husband was wrapped around food. Its someone birthday...Lets Eat! The kids are all out....Lets go out to dinner! Its a lazy Saturday afternoon...whats in the fridge? Wanna go for a ride? NO because I just see all the fastfood joints I used to go to. A PITY PARTY I was having. But today I woke up and looked here for encouragement and found it. I know I can do this. I know this is such a blessing. I am gonna work this band to get me where I need to go.

It is normal to mourn the lifestyle you had around food. I too had similar feelings. But only 4 1/2 months post op....I have gained more appreciation for family time, being in control of myself, and NOT letting food dictate a good or bad time! I am so much more present and aware with family and friends than I have ever been before. It is an amazing transformation....and it's not all physical! Hang in there......you will come to have a different appreciation of the good food you are eating (even in small quantities).