Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Offensive FB post of the day...what do you all think? obesity a disease?

So imagine my surprise when scrolling through my fb feed I see this post.....

"Seriously?!

To the lobbyists at the House of Rep. trying to get it passed that "Obesity is a Disease"...hear me say that Hell will freeze over before my tax dollars go towards yet one more idiotic Obama Care mission. Let's just provide one more incentive for Americans to stop working, eat more, and give them free electronics to satisfy them while they sit on the couch contributing nothing to humanity. Um, no. Where are the incentives for MY healthy body, good work ethic and willingness to give more than I receive in hopes of making the world a better place?! Let's all take a reality check here!!! Please."

Personally, I was offended. I know this woman and she has never struggled with weight. Apparently, since I am obese, the two jobs I work and the fact that I'm in grad school full time mean I'm not contributing to society, am getting free electronics, and just sit on the couch all day. I'm also slightly confused how she is making the world a better place while working retail.....

So what do you all think about obesity being a disease?

I think it's a disease. Alcoholism is classified as a disease. The only difference between an alcoholic and an obese person is their drug of choice- alcohol vs. food. Plus, like with many diseases, they have found numerous genetic and environmental links predisposing people towards obesity. As many of us can attest, it definitely runs in families too.

I also believe it's an incurable disease. The tendency to be obese is always there, we just need/have treatments to help keep it under control.

I happen to have two incurable diseases- MS and obesity. I give myself shots three nights a week to control the MS and I have the Lap Band to control the obesity. What's the difference? Just different tools to manage different diseases.

Just my opinion.

Your life would be better if you unfriend and block her on your FB account. Life is too short to deal with callous individuals.

I agree it is a disease and causes others like diabetes, high blood pressure, heart blockage.

I agree it's a Disease.. But what Ticks me off more is that they are still looking for Jimmy Hoffa and wasting MONEY on it!!!.......WTF? he's Dead why do we need to know where? sorry end of rant we must have been seeing the same news tonight . :angry:

I am sorry that you had to endure that!!! I agree that you would be doing yourself a favor by unfriending this very unfriendly individual, she may never have struggled with weight but that does not make a good person that is ignorance run amuck!

I don't feel I have a disease, but rather a disorder.

Much like how I feel about alcoholism, if a person knows obesity runs in their family, the stakes are high to not start, than try to stop later.

Don't drink, don't over eat, don't take that first puff, etc etc

I have always thought diseases are out of one's control, but a disorder can be prevented or at least there are steps to try to prevent.

I know that isn't what the ama says, but like I said in the beginning, it's how I feel.

I read something that really rang true for me. I cut and paste it below.

“The suggestion that obesity is not a disease but rather a consequence of a chosen lifestyle exemplified by overeating and/or inactivity is equivalent to suggesting that lung cancer is not a disease because it was brought about by individual choice to smoke cigarettes”

While I understand the feeling that obesity is more of a disorder, those of us who are predisposed, can't simply "choose to not overeat". If it was that simple, obesity would not be at epidemic proportions. I'm just sayin'......

I do agree on the Hoffa statement lol

hugs

Everyone on FB knows that if you say something stupid like that in my newsfeed, you're going to get my opinion on the matter, and you may not like it anymore than I liked yours. But if that's not you, I agree you should unfriend at the very least.

I am not shy about telling people that I relate to being an addict. food was my addiction. Except where heroin addicts get treatment and abstain to remain clean, I had to seek out my drug of choice 3 times a day, and I was supposed to be strong enough to stop at just 3 bites (like I do with the lapband?). How about 'get bent'?

Having the willpower to stop at 3 bites when hungry 3 times a day for the rest of your life is something I sure as hell didn't have. Let's see a show of hands as to who actually has that sort of willpower, coz bully for you, you're a better person than me!

I just needed that help to curb the hunger, and I lost weight. I'm proof that if you control hunger, you can control the addiction. How more logical and easy to understand could it be yet for some it seems so hard to figure out.

I read something that really rang true for me. I cut and paste it below.

“The suggestion that obesity is not a disease but rather a consequence of a chosen lifestyle exemplified by overeating and/or inactivity is equivalent to suggesting that lung cancer is not a disease because it was brought about by individual choice to smoke cigarettes”

While I understand the feeling that obesity is more of a disorder, those of us who are predisposed, can't simply "choose to not overeat". If it was that simple, obesity would not be at epidemic proportions. I'm just sayin'......

Love it. I am tempted to send that to her via private message and unfriend her. Actually, I think that is exactly what I will do. I'll let y'all know the response. thanks

I might majorly regret this, but this is what I posted on her fb page:

"I agree about not giving people a free ride, but according to my BMI I am obese. I work two jobs, go to grad school full time and I contribute a lot to society by taking care of sick people every day. I also work out at least 3+ days a week. I can't even tell you how many diets I have been on and how hard I have worked to lose weight. Obesity is generally a result of food addiction, lack of access to quality food due to poverty or just lack of knowledge. I have several patients who struggle with their weight, have tried to diet and can't afford going to a nutritionist, go to therapy, join weight watchers or are working 3 jobs to keep a roof over their heads. If obesity was categorized as a disease these people might get help, lose weight, decrease their chances of getting type II diabetes, CHF, depression, and multiple other obesity related co-morbid diseases. Decreasing their chances of all of the above reduces future medical bills, reduces unemployment, and reduces their burden on society. It's about the big picture, not the short term costs."

Beanie - can't WAIT to hear what comes back :rolleyes:

I might majorly regret this, but this is what I posted on her fb page:

"I agree about not giving people a free ride, but according to my BMI I am obese. I work two jobs, go to grad school full time and I contribute a lot to society by taking care of sick people every day. I also work out at least 3+ days a week. I can't even tell you how many diets I have been on and how hard I have worked to lose weight. Obesity is generally a result of food addiction, lack of access to quality food due to poverty or just lack of knowledge. I have several patients who struggle with their weight, have tried to diet and can't afford going to a nutritionist, go to therapy, join weight watchers or are working 3 jobs to keep a roof over their heads. If obesity was categorized as a disease these people might get help, lose weight, decrease their chances of getting type II diabetes, CHF, depression, and multiple other obesity related co-morbid diseases. Decreasing their chances of all of the above reduces future medical bills, reduces unemployment, and reduces their burden on society. It's about the big picture, not the short term costs."

AWESOME response!!! I can't wait to see her reaction!!!