Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thursday June 20, 2013--Band Day...I'm so nervous..

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to learn to navigate this website. I know there is a wonderful community here, but I just feel like I don't know how to get around and communicate with others very well yet. I'm scheduled for surgery day after tomorrow and I am nervous. I am paying for this myself because my insurance does not cover bariatric procedures of any kind for anyone.

Since I am self pay, I did not go through counseling or any 'real' preparation. I went to the office, had 'initial consult' with the doctor, had my pre-op bloodwork and scheduled the surgery all in one day. Before I left the office, they handed me some pamphlets about fills and post-op eating and told me to eat a liquid diet "3 or 4 days before surgery." The nurse gave me the "don't eat after midnight and shower with antimicrobial soap" pre-op talk and said they will call me the day before to tell me what time to be at he surgery center.

The doctor is a well-experienced surgeon with a good reputation, so I am not nervous about his skill. I just feel so "unprepared"........for what to expect right after surgery....and beyond.

Any advice? I feel like it's the day before the wedding and I am having cold feet--but not enough to run.

I'd like to make friends with others on here, but not sure how to go about doing that. Any & all recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks!

I am exactly with you, down to the same surgery date!! But I have learned so much in this forum, from tips and tricks, to what to expect, to a little bit scary posts, to amazing recovery and success stories!! Just spend some time poking aroound, looking at the various topics. I dont post alot, but I read a ton!!

I too am self pay, no long process, got the pamphlet, tests done, scheduled my EGD, within two weeks and surgery is thursday! I started the pre op diet, which is liquid but for 1- 350 calorie meal a day, and I have checked, highlighted and double highlighted passages in the pamphlet that spells out the post op diet. One of the things that helped me the most , as far as a comfort level for post op, was the (phone) conversation I had with the nutritionist. She spelled out the first 6 weeks, day by day and I wrote it all down. which days are clear liquid, then liquids after 2 days, then mushy foods after 2 weeks, then solids....along with which Vitamins to take and when. If you can get yours on the phone and make them break it down for you. Your DOC office will have one on staff, so use them!!! I will send you a friend request and we can do this together!!!!

Ditto...I felt the same way. I'm also self pay (Ontario Canada), kinda left not really knowing a whole lot, muddled through leaflets and an online site for their clinic, hoped I wasn't making any mistakes...that was 6 months ago. I pick and choose what I want to read on here and who I trust to give good info...there are quite a few who always give good advise, and some who just say the same old same old. I could've asked lots of questions and made phone calls to the clinic, they really are a great bunch, I figured I could figure it out myself..and I was fine with it all. It's really common sense. Don't know where my common sense was before my surgery, somehow I found it afterwards and of course the lapband sure has been great for me. Ive lost close to 50 lbs, feel great and am in constant contact with the clinic. You'll do fine, you'll be fine. You'll need a bit of patience and you'll need to be kind to yourself for a bit but you'll get through it. June 20th, my birthday, nothing ever goes wrong on my birthday! Take care and all the best...speedy recovery!

Best of luck to you too Carriet!

Sounds like a very similar experience to the one that I had when I had my band fitted, I was also self pay as at the time in the Uk they would only consider patient with a BMI of over 50 for surgery - which my surgeon at the time pointed out was a nightmare for the surgeons involved! I didnt get much info and luckily didnt have to go on a pre op because of my BMI. I did have access to a post op team of nutritionists - will your doctor be providing any post op back up?

As for the surgery itself, please dont worry, it is over so quickly (well obviously because you are alseep, but you know what I mean) and then you have the first couple of weeks post op and after that it is just getting used to a new way of eating, some basic rules, and getting the right fill so that you reach your sweet spot.

I found the help that I got on here invaluable when I had my band fitted, they were a fantastic bunch of women, and although I havent been on in a long time, it see,s that the people on here now are just as friendly and welcoming.

Dont be afraid to ask questions - I came on here a few years ago when I has the worst overfill ever and someone in the chat rooms managed to find me a hospital in Cornwall UK that could unfill me on a sunday from their bedroom in America!

Thanks tiny!!!

Hi, also self pay in Ontario Canada. I feel the same as Tiny. I could get more info if I asked the clinic, they have been very good at getting back to me on my questions, but I wont really get the post op plan until I get there. I know the liquid and mush phases, but no material yet beyond that. This forum is great! I can't even access the clinics forums until I am banded.