Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you use them? Or not? What sorts of problems do they cause. My surgeon has no hard fast rule about this, but I see that many do.

I was told not to use a straw either..because it brings in to much air?

I look forward to hear what others think.

I was told no straws. Went without for about 3 weeks then started using them again and have had no problems at all. My doc told me that its for air issues and also the sucking can cause issues when you are first banded...like too much pressure on the stitches or something...

I showed up at my fill appt with a Water bottle with a straw and he didn't say anything. So I take that as consent. :)

I was also told no straws but that was only for the beginning until the surgery healed. I now use them all the time.

I was told no straws too but I am gonna ask if that was for the early weeks after surgery... It would be nice sometimes to drink my smoothie with a straw but if my doc says no than I won't do it...

I don't have any problems with coffee from starbucks lol they say it puts to much air in

I was also told, no straws. They say that they can cause discomfort, because you take in a lot of air. But I haven't found that to be true, and I use them every day. The only way I can drink all of the Water, is through a straw. Otherwise, it's not going to happen.

Thanks so much, everyone! This has been really helpful. I also prefer to drink Water and smoothies with a straw. I'm only six days out right now, so I'm going to give it a good month, month and a half, and then I will probably try it out for myself.

I use straws but i notice I'm super gassy when i do.

some do and some dont as you can see from the comments

just do what your dr says to do

I use straws all the time. don't even remember if my surgon said not to or what.

Do you use them? Or not? What sorts of problems do they cause. My surgeon has no hard fast rule about this' date=' but I see that many do.[/quote']

I asked my doctor again and he said never use a straw. Something to do with added gas. I try to follow the rules. The doctors know more than me and have their reasons.

Do you use them? Or not? What sorts of problems do they cause. My surgeon has no hard fast rule about this, but I see that many do.

My doctor did tell me no straws. Basically because of the air that gets trapped into your stomach. I have tried to use a straw, but the trapped air, sent me to the emergency room. They did a scan, only to find out it was air trapped into my small intestines. Never again, will I not follow doctors orders.

I was told no straws because you can end up sucking in some air and it would be very painful.

I stirred my crystal light with a straw about 3 weeks out and out of habit, forgot to take it out and drank from it.... Sure enough, about a half hour later I was passing gas (thankfully around the house) for the next hour... No pain, but will continue without a straw as directed by the doctor!!