Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please help a long term bander-Slippage?

Ok all, it's been a long time since I've been on here. The lapband was very successful for me and it'll be 5 years next month. I need some 'banded' opinions.

I went to the gastroenterologist. See, my whole life I've had problems. I've had Constipation for over a decade, I started getting horrible acid about a year before I was banded, vomiting my whole life (never had a fever, would just feel sick and then after I'd feel back to normal). Anyway, I had been trying to keep track of food I had eaten and I was really starting to suspect Celiac disease. I also have Hashimoto's so...I have a history with Autoimmune problems. So I go in after years of pain and I see a dr.

He scheduled me for a whole bunch of tests: colonoscopy, upper GI endoscopy, an xray. Haven't done the others but the xray...well I had a weird reaction to the barium. It kind of tingled and burned a little going down and made me really sick. I didn't find the taste gross at all so it wasn't that (and yeah, I know I'm weird). It was about 5-10 minutes after drinking I started having a full body reaction. I got clammy and almost passed out....then threw up the barium and I felt almost completely normal again. I then guzzled a big glass of Water no problem. However, (though they didn't wait long for the barium to move down), they said the barium wasn't going past my band. Which is silly because I have absolutely no problems with eating or drinking and I was opened wide up for a port revision under my muscle less than a year ago. They said my band was placed correctly except it's kind of the opposite direction that most are placed however I got the big band and I'm a very tiny woman and my doctor had also initially placed my port a little funny too. I think he had reasons for it and I don't question it because he had done many surgeries and was an award winning doc.

To make a note of things, the acid only happens when I have super fatty food-just like it did BEFORE the band. Otherwise all of my problems are in my intestines-I love my band and it's never caused my problems before. I rarely PB anymore. And I only throw up with certain foods (thus why I suspected Celiac). But now my Gastro has canceled the colonoscopy and basically just wants to make this about my lapband.

1. My actual problems don't seem to be getting addressed.

2. I'm afraid this is just going to be a costly side trek and it'll just end with them saying they probably want my band out.

Could be gallbladder?

I also wondered about Gallbladder. Regarding potential Celiac or gluten intolerance, it's very common in our population now and it's never been easier to be gluten-free. Testing can be very unpleasant (sampling) but it is not always accurate and your chart may end up reading, "claims gluten intolerance," or "suspects Celiac disease." The important thing is that your digestion is working properly and wheat-free has solved many digestive problems for many people. We call it Franken-Wheat as it's so different now than the original crop.

Can you get a second opinion?

~~Stephanie

I'm thinking of finding a new doctor. There were issues when I was telling him my problems in the initial visit too. He doesn't speak English very well. I feel bad for wanting a different doctor but communication is a big deal. I don't think it's a gallbladder issue... though that's frequent on my mom's side of the family. I get pain and cramping depending on where...I'm most blocked up :s...but that's a majority of it. Otherwise I just hear lots of gurgling and don't go for a week and a half...or more. And then there's bloating and gas/burps. But I've had these issues for many many years now. I would think my gallbladder would have exploded in me by now haha

But from what I've said that doesn't sound like a band issue does it? Or am I just crazy? Despite small periods where rice or popcorn would give me problems I can pretty much eat whatever I want with the band. I just had steak last night and corn and things digested well.

I can't speak to the issue with Barium (sounds to me like an allergic reaction - but I'm not a Doctor)

As for the other issue with digestion, Constipation, bloating, gas, acid reflux and a general processing of food issue, I found a commercial product called Align (there are other names on the market) and found my own personal version of happy balance before I was banded. I tried the yogurts and other products and found this one does the trick for me. I now have normal bowel movements and no longer feeling like a loaf of bread is doing the tango in my intestines.

TMI? sorry but if you know the pain and discomfort associated with IBS or any of the other digestion issues then you know what it's like to find some peace with food.< /p>

One of my questions when researching the band is if I could continue to take Align - I don't ever want to go back to the way it was.

I agree with the second opinion and questioning the doctor who thinks the band removal is going to work - especially if he doesn't know about or support the band.

Have you tried staying away from wheat products, which contain gluten? That would include a lot of items. My son has celiac and believe me it isn't easy. But, you do sound like you might, also, have gall bladder problems. Mine was nasty, but only became a great problem after I had fresh pork. I wanted to, and thought I would, die. You do need to do further investigating. A 2nd opinion is a good idea. Best wishes, hope that you can find the problem. (barium is a common thing to be allergic to). Karen

I'm in the process of making a new appointment with a different doctor. When I called in though they said the head nurse will have to approve it and that usually they don't let patients switch doctors. Which I thought was the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Also, if I do have a pain it's usually on my left side or low almost near my hips/pelvis. I very rarely get it on the right hand side. So I'm a little leery about the gall bladder idea.

I did keep track of what I was eating the last month and a half (but didn't quit for fear that I'd be tested and it wouldn't show up...since that's how that works)....it did seem that days I was heavier in gluten I felt worse and ones that were less I felt a little bit better.

I did try to go gluten free for a few days but it was over a business trip and it made it impossible to do it more than a few days in a row. I think I successfully did 3 days or maybe 4. I did notice that I suddenly became regular. But I don't know if that was a coincidence. For now I'm continuing it until I can see a doctor that will properly test me.

Your gastroenterologist is not your surgeon who did the lapband I would think. Have you talked to your surgeon?

I had my gallbladder out in 1980 so if a doctor tells me it's my gallbladder that means change my doctor.

I would really get a second opinion and I wish you well.

I'm in the process of making a new appointment with a different doctor. When I called in though they said the head nurse will have to approve it and that usually they don't let patients switch doctors. Which I thought was the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Also, if I do have a pain it's usually on my left side or low almost near my hips/pelvis. I very rarely get it on the right hand side. So I'm a little leery about the gall bladder idea.

I did keep track of what I was eating the last month and a half (but didn't quit for fear that I'd be tested and it wouldn't show up...since that's how that works)....it did seem that days I was heavier in gluten I felt worse and ones that were less I felt a little bit better.

I did try to go gluten free for a few days but it was over a business trip and it made it impossible to do it more than a few days in a row. I think I successfully did 3 days or maybe 4. I did notice that I suddenly became regular. But I don't know if that was a coincidence. For now I'm continuing it until I can see a doctor that will properly test me.

Once you get your Doctor issues straight may I suggest you ask them about a CT Scan when you said Lower left Pain in the pelvic region It struck a cord with me as I went through the same symptoms, gas, bloating, Constipation and then had 2 days of the pain L/L pelvic region saw my Internist and he said Diverticulitis. I had 2 episodes of severe sharp pain, then smaller less frequent episodes. They did a Ct Scan of the abdomen/Pelvis, 10 days of Flagyl and I'm scheduled Monday for a Colonoscopy to rule out any other problems.

Hope your feeling better soon!!