Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Banded Tuesday - Feels like an Elephant on my breastbone

I was banded Tuesday. Everything went smooth. Feeling pretty good. Getting around. Not hungry or tempted, which is surprising (very happy about that) But the gas, oye vey.. its unbelievable. I feel like an elephant is on my chest - I want to burp but cant. The tornado flying around my abdomen is quite comical - I've taken gasX, very little relief. I've been walking, going up & down stairs. Can someone just come stick a tube in me and suck out all the gas? UGH

Hang in there. It will improve each day. I had gas pain from the surgery for nearly two weeks, though it did lessen each day.

The first 3 days were hard for me but it will get better with time

Walking is your best friend right now! Hang in there.

I don't know if your doc told you this but mine told me the only things you can do to get ride of it are walking and heavier breathing or panting. She said this kind of gas has to be expelled from your lungs so if you walk and are breathing a little heavier it should help. Also keep in mind that I haven't had surgery yet, just relaying some info, so I have no idea if this actually works. Good luck though! Congrats on being banded and not having any temptations!!

Walking helps, it gets better day by day

I am 8 days post op and suddenly today I feel so much better!

I agree with the walking. hang in there, it does get better

When I was in this very uncomfortable post op phase I read a comment from someone that said to walk around while flapping your arms like a chicken. I felt like an idiot doing it, but I think it helped. At 2 weeks post op you should be completely gas free.

I'm one week out today. I agree after day 3 things get better. Lots of walking and I found that if I lay on the couch with the legs up on the arm of the couch I was able to pass more gas. Good luck :)

Feeling much better today. (Although I didn't flap my arms like a chicken) I did get out and about. Of all places, I went food shopping. The smells and sights actually didn't bother me too much. I'm starting to feel hungry. I've been just having Jello, popsicles, Water & Decaf tea. I had a yogurt, but it's not sugar free. Can not find any sugar free yogurts. The doctor allowed me to start full liquids yesterday. I would love something to chew, but honestly I can wait. I noticed I've dropped 6 lbs. I'm keeping it hush hush in the house. That makes me excited! Hope everyone is doing well... Hugs

I was actually given a breathing meter by my Post-Op nurse. She scared my wife and told her I needed to do 4 sets of 8 each day for 10 days after the surgery to prevent me from getting pneumonia. It had a tube that I was supposed to suck on with deep breaths and when I did it pushed up a piece of plastic which measured my intake. Problem was, in the first few days, when I did this it aggravated my nausea and once I was given the Magnesium Citrate by my doctor on day 3, all the shoulder pain and problems breathing were gone. Needles to say, I didn't use it much and I am just fine. But I feel for you, until I was able to get it out, I was absolutely miserable. Hang in there.