Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can anyone else feel/see your port protruding?

Hi, I am 3.5 weeks post op, banded 5/10/13. My port has always stuck out a little and I feel it when I touch it, its hard and feels close to the surface of my skin, is this normal? Its just not down deep in my muscle tissue as I thought it was going to be. Im just so afraid of it flipping. How would I know if it did? I don't see my DR until my first fill on 6/27. I started sleeping on my stomach just a few days after surgery, my port is on the left side of my stomach, and Im just afraid I screwed something up. Anyone that had their ports flipped or turned on its side, how did you know? And if you feel your port, how does the top of it supposed to feel? Im just a little nervous.

It isn't supposed to be deep in the muscle tissue, but it is anchored to it. Yes, I can see and feel mine.

It needs to be near the surface so it can be filled :)

I can sort of see it, but I definitely feel it. The kids want to touch it and then pull their finger back laughing. LOL! They call me their own little "cyborg."

I can't find mine.. only 5 days post OP.. but I think its on the left because that side hurts more.. im going to ask tomorrow at my followup.

This topic comes up from time to time....I'm not sure why...

The port is attached to the abdominal muscles at the anchor points.....how close to the surface it is depends upon the layer of fat thickness between it and the epidermus.....

Here is a photo of mine...I can feel every nook and cranny....you can also see and feel the tubing runnig out the side before it goes deep.

Needless to say, there is not much fat there covering it up....I don't worry about a flipped port..if it did I could flip it back over myself. But it's not going to happen. Trust me, it's secure.

Yes, people ask me all the time what is it...I simply tell them it is not a tumor, but a surgical implant...they don't probe further...it also shows through a t-shirt as a lump...

A one armed blind man can hit that port with a syringe...

/

port4_zpsdaadd2eb.jpg

B-52 thanks for posting that pic. Just wondering if the port is placed at that location for men and women?

B-52 thanks for posting that pic. Just wondering if the port is placed at that location for men and women?

Mine is not where B-52's is but as you lose weight it will stick out even more.

Mine wasn't visible but I could feel it. Then one day I woke up and the port was sticking out really bad. My port had flipped and my band ceased to work properly. Well, I finally had a port revision which is day surgery. My port is in place and working again. You should feel something however. If it bothers you a lot call your doctor.

Mine is not where B-52's is but as you lose weight it will stick out even more.

Mine wasn't visible but I could feel it. Then one day I woke up and the port was sticking out really bad. My port had flipped and my band ceased to work properly. Well' date=' I finally had a port revision which is day surgery. My port is in place and working again. You should feel something however. If it bothers you a lot call your doctor.[/quote']

Thanks DAWALSH. I was just curious. I havent had surgery yet. My consultation is on June 13th with Dr Abkin in Florham Park NJ.

Mine is front and center about an inch below my sternum. About the place they would do compressions for CPR. Hmmmm.... Tomorrow will be two weeks post op. Today is the first time I can feel it. It is really sore today for some reason. Normal?

At first I could not find mine. The PA and to feel around for it when I had my first fill. Now that I am down about 55 pounds I can feel it and if I stand up straight I can see it too. Oh yes, they show up in airport screening x ray. Went through the x ray and got the pat down. Then the TSA guy showed me the x ray and I explained that one of the yellow squares was the lap band port and the other the lap band. My bus pass was the third yellow square. Forgot to remove it from my pocket. He looked at me as if I was really dumb and let me go catch my plane.