Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Here we are...finally down to the wire, Pre-op appointment tomorrow and surgery scheduled on June 19th. The time has gone by so quickly at times, at others it seemed like this time would never come. At the onset, I had every confidence that I had made the right decision - I've wavered a couple of times already and now that I'm finally here, I'm getting cold feet.

What if I can't change my eating habits?

What if I pick up my other bad habits again and hurt my health (smoking)?

What if I do something that turn this into a nightmare that hinders my health further?

What if I don't lose any weight?

What if I can't stick to the plan?

What if...

I am so afraid that I will be one of the few that the band doesn't help and I'll be in worse shape than I am now. I'm so used to being a cheerleader for others on this forum, but now the shoes are on my feet and I can't think of anything to snap myself out of it.

I'm 6 weeks post op and I still have those fears even though I'm down 21 pounds! Those are the head games that come with being overweight and struggling to lose it for many many years. I think about my goal weight and laugh...it sounds ridiculous to me that I am going to lose 135 pounds total. So instead I focus on my next 10 pounds and shorter term goals. That will see me through.

As for you...You are going to do GREAT! You sound like you are prepared...you already are part of a support network...so maybe now its time to rely on us and give us a chance to cheer for you!

Good luck!

Here we are...finally down to the wire, Pre-op appointment tomorrow and surgery scheduled on June 19th. The time has gone by so quickly at times, at others it seemed like this time would never come. At the onset, I had every confidence that I had made the right decision - I've wavered a couple of times already and now that I'm finally here, I'm getting cold feet.

What if I can't change my eating habits?

What if I pick up my other bad habits again and hurt my health (smoking)?

What if I do something that turn this into a nightmare that hinders my health further?

What if I don't lose any weight?

What if I can't stick to the plan?

What if...

I am so afraid that I will be one of the few that the band doesn't help and I'll be in worse shape than I am now. I'm so used to being a cheerleader for others on this forum, but now the shoes are on my feet and I can't think of anything to snap myself out of it.

I have a better question for you. What if you don't do anything? Where will you be then?

I think everyone has the same fears going into this. My biggest fear is failure... not losing weight and being doomed the ridicule of people who are now supporting me, and never getting out of plus size clothing. Above everything else, ive learned to view this as an opportunity. Its a sacrifice and a shot in the dark. Ive been amazed at how well I have commited myself to the lifestyle change. It feels good to see the scale going down and to think im going in the right direction. Im 3 weeks post-op and I know there will be frustrations and set backs to come. But for now, im taking advantage of the opportunity. I think you might also surprise yourself at the success you'll achieve. :)

Life is a big lot of "what ifs?" I know you will be happy once it's done.

I still have the "what if I fail" in the back of my mind all the time. I was banded 12/28/12 and have lost 47 lbs but I want to lose 77 more. My doctor would be happy if I lost only 37 more pounds but I won't be happy. My goal is 145. So just be happy you're being banded and stay active on this forum. Good luck to you!

You won't know what you are capable of until you try!! If for some reason lap band isn't the right tool for you, at least you can say that you tried it and move on to something else that does work for you.

You can do this

You can make good, healthy positive choices for your life

You deserve this

You will never be perfect, but you will keep trying over and over again

You will not give up on yourself

You can do this!!

What if you lose the weight you want? what if you don't re-gain? What if you don't have any problems? I think we all have doubts and worry about disappointing other people.. But, it's your health and your happiness.. You will feel differently once you start eating healthier and realize you aren't going to starve to death... Good Luck

As someone previously posted, this is a head game. And just so that you can be prepared, you likely will have some "WTH did I do to myself?" Thoughts newly post op.

Self doubts are normal, but as I would tell my clients, you will never know what you are capable of doing if you don't have the courage to lose sight sight of the shore.

As this is a "head game", no better time like the present to begin the process to change the automatic thinking which skews your perspective towards negative thoughts of failure.

You can become your own self fulfilling prophecy...if you believe you will fail, likely you might.

Believe in abilities for success...you can do this!

Best wishes for a successful journey...

I definatly went through what you are going through. I told NOBODY except my husband and parents. The last thing I wanted was people judging me if it didn't work. It did. I managed to lose 20 kilos before falling pregnant. Having all my fill removed during my pregnancies and gaining back nearly all of my weight proves to me that the band is what I need to lose the weight and keep it off. Good luck.

I feel the same way with doubts I hope to be banded in July . Heck I have doubts of telling my best friend I'm being banded:( but I read the replies above and agree 100% we gotta try and we can do this this is a tool to help us lose the weight we need to be healthy! I am so greatful I found this site :) good luck n u got this

Iam to having some concern idk when ill be banded but at first i was looking at all the positive about Lapland. Thinking ok i got this but now that im getting closer and closer im getting cold feet and having second thoughts. I cant help it i wouldnt be human if i wasnt concerned. What happends to my band yrs later like 10 years later will it kill me im scared to an like the pre posts this is a sacrifice. You are not alone.

I think for most people having 'any' surgery when u are obese is scary, but all those worried about the band, the morbidity rates for having the lap band are lower than the other surgeries, secondly, the lap band is removable and lastly and most importantly ... 'IF' you could have lost the weight on your own, you would have, so worrying about the future with a lap band is ignoring the fact that you would probably continue to put on weight and or develop much more life threatening problems associated with being obese, many more people die of obesity related medical conditions than most other things nowadays, so it might be more worthwhile concentrating on the outcome if u don't have it done not the problems and maybe's if you do :) I never wanted to have half my stomach cut away or my intestines re-routed but understand why some people choose that route too, if you look after the band and get regular check ups there is no reason to assume it will not last you as long as u want it to. We all worry about the future for some reason or another, but its strange that most of us ignored the fact that our future being obese was the gloomiest of all.