Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating out of control because you know you're getting surgery

Yeah, my surgery was supposed to happen in April but I had to postpone it due to a separate medical issue I had to resolve. So I just saw it as a chance to EAT. I went crazy - I went to my favorite restaurants, picked the fattiest foods and the day before I started my pre-op diet I drank and ate like there was no tomorrow. Granted, it wasn't the best choice BUT I did follow the pre-op diet to a T and lost 25 pounds in those 2 weeks. I was banded May 23rd (today's my 10th day post-op) and I've also followed the post-op rules perfectly. We all deal with things differently - just know that it's extremely important to follow your doctor's orders in regards to prepping for the surgery and healing after. Good luck!

The day before I starte my pre op diet I ate McDonald for Breakfast a large burger and poutine for lunch and my favourite won ton Soup for dinner and went out for dessert at Dairy Queen! It was awesome but it was indeed like last supper :) I'm on day 5 of my liquid diet now.

I am 16 days away from being banded (june 18th, they moved my date up 2 days) and I thought about having a food funeral, a good way to say goodbye to all the food that made me fat...pepsi my fav, snickers, pizza, french fries, etc...but then I say to.myself that is exactly what this food did make me fat and use.it as a stress reliever when im stressed or bored but im learning to use my energy in positive non eating ways besides I have been doing the 6 month diet and really watched what I ate....sometimes when I wanted to give up I got a pizza for my kids for dinner and was only able to eat 2 pieces instead of half the box because ive been practacing now.......i just knew I wanted that pizza and my brain said no you dont really

I am 16 days away from being banded (june 18th, they moved my date up 2 days) and I thought about having a food funeral, a good way to say goodbye to all the food that made me fat...pepsi my fav, snickers, pizza, french fries, etc...but then I say to.myself that is exactly what this food did make me fat and use.it as a stress reliever when im stressed or bored but im learning to use my energy in positive non eating ways besides I have been doing the 6 month diet and really watched what I ate....sometimes when I wanted to give up I got a pizza for my kids for dinner and was only able to eat 2 pieces instead of half the box because ive been practacing now.......i just knew I wanted that pizza and my brain said no you dont really

I call it "Fat Tuesday" I gained 3 pounds in last month. I bit embarrassing since it was a weight LOSS visit! Looking to be banded in September and cannot wait to expand my wardrobe. I have very few outfits in my current size 18. A good size stack of 16 that I wish didn't look like sausage casings on me. With Bmi of 39 and co-morbidities I'm afraid to lose weight before band. I want insurance to cover this procedure. Tomorrow is first meeting with personal trainer at gym. These are confusing times for me.

You know what's the lie in all this? The lie is that you are going to be miserable after your surgery forever and long for foods that you will pine for.

When I'm in the green zone I don't pine for food the way I did when I was heavy. And yet I will say I enjoy food SO much more now. I don't want to waste my tiny pouch on KFC or crappy junk food when there is salmon and truffles and lamb and lobster. I can only eat a little bit, I want to enjoy it, and I really really do. And the difference is, it's enjoyment and not binging.

You have a whole different life ahead of you. Look forward to it!

I just wanted to know does anybody eat out of control because they know that they are getting surgery so they feel like they will be eating for the last time I still have two months before my surgery date.....

I followed all thee pre-op diets, protocols, etc.....2 days before my surgery, after my final office visit and weigh in before surgery, I had my LAST MEAL!

We went out to a place that I knew I would NEVER be able to go to anymore....one of those All-You can eat Buffets....but a upscale one....

Ate like a pig.....and enjoyed every minute....

Then for the next 2 days I went all liquids, and fasted, and was fine for surgery.....

And yes, 2 1/2 years later I have never been back to that buffet....and never will unless I want to blow $35 for a small portion....

And best of all...I don't miss it, or miss food and eating for that matter....

i had a last meal the day before pre op...like b52, i dont miss eating like i use to. since banding and great support from a group of friends on here, i have found myself not living to eat like i use to..now i just live...(although once a week, i eat whatever i want to).

Glad I'm not the only one. I had an Oreo cookie blizzard yesterday. I never eat ice cream lol

Christy in tallahassee fl

Not to throw cold Water on the last suppers, but I started out by trying to change my eating habits to band rules for 2 months prior to surgery. We have to start somewhere, and least when I forgot and ate to big of bites, I did not get stuck. I ended up losing almost 20 pounds those 2 months. There is no time like the present to start living the rest of your life.

By the way, at 19 months, there is NOTHING that I could or did eat before surgery that I cannot have now in lesser quantities and better eating habits. You can do it if you WANT it bad enough!

For what it's worth, you can also do it if you have some ambivalence or if you're rebellious... It turns out, the band DOES kinda do some of it for you—up to a point...

I surprised myself when I found that I had mixed feelings about losing weight, and while I've done it somewhat slowly compared to some people on this board, the weight is still dropping off.

I gained about 10 pounds in last suppers the 2 months before the Pre-Op diet, but the day that started, it was over. And I was actually relieved. I ate everything I ever wanted, and then was done. Lost 12 pounds in the Pre-Op liquid diet, and then another 14 two weeks later... And now, 14 months after surgery, I'm down more than 70lbs and seem to be gaining momentum.

I'm not an advocate for "being bad," but I wanted to point out that there are many different ways to get from here to there, and you can have your own journey and still achieve your goals.

I've been contemplating a "Final Feast" but the one thing I'm going to miss and have indulged in once a week is Carlo's Bakery brownie with nuts. It's a sinful delight. Today I'm going to say adieu to a later date and time. Glad to see others feel the same way.

Not to throw cold Water on the last suppers' date=' but I started out by trying to change my eating habits to band rules for 2 months prior to surgery. We have to start somewhere, and least when I forgot and ate to big of bites, I did not get stuck. I ended up losing almost 20 pounds those 2 months. There is no time like the present to start living the rest of your life.

By the way, at 19 months, there is NOTHING that I could or did eat before surgery that I cannot have now in lesser quantities and better eating habits. You can do it if you WANT it bad enough![/quote']

I'm with you Chenozel. I didn't hold a food funeral and my pre-op diet started on 12/14/12 which meant the Christmas holidays were involved. It was hard but I went to parties and I would eat raw veggies along with my liquid diet so I was OK. People kept asking why I didn't change my date until after the holidays. I didn't change my date because I was tired of saying I'll start my diet tomorrow or I'll start my diet Monday or I'll start after the holidays. I figured it was now or never and now won. I'm so glad I did it when I did.

I did not do it. From the inspiration on here, I told myself, I would be able to have my favorites again.

My "Fat Tuesday" is over now. I went to gym for first time in years today and kept calories under 1000. Hopefully will get band in around two months.