Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm starting to think some surgeons keep their patients on liquids then mushies for several weeks to keep them from falling off the wagon.

I thought that, too. Then I asked my doctor if the diet progression is about introducing foods slowly, to make sure you don't get sick, or is it about the healing process. He said that it's ALL about the healing. He said that patients that jump ahead on the progression, are the ones that usually have problems.

I have ABSOLUTELY no self control. If it were up to me dieting I'd still be as big as a house. Relax and just wait this out. You'll get there, just know that your journey may be a longer slower one than others who are able to 'diet'

Yes Yes Yes Guilt is a major dragon for me in this battle. I have promised myself that I will never let it draw me back into that dark cave to sneak eat . This is a life long commitment so there will always be celebrations or special days or even slip days. Unless it makes me ill( haven't found anything yet) then I can have a small portion or taste, enjoy it, chart it and move on to the nonfood fun- part of life. Don't let other peoples concept of what your diet should be dictate how you feel about what you are eating. It gives them way too much power, the food way too much power and you become less. This is my battle and my rules and I plan on winning. So can you. SO glad you are back on track!

I agree, guilt is not a helpful emotion, although I know it's hard not to feel it when you've gone off the plan. You have a good attitude about getting right back on track. At 21/2 weeks out I was on solid food, so I think your ok there. Good luck!

Yes Yes Yes Guilt is a major dragon for me in this battle. I have promised myself that I will let it draw me back into that dark cave to sneak eat though. This is a life long commitment as so there will always be celebrations or special days or even slip days. Unless it makes me ill( haven't found anything yet) then I can have a small portion or taste, enjoy it, chart it and move on to the nonfood fun part of life. Don't let other peoples concept of what you diet should be dictate how you feel about what you are eating. It gives them way to much power, the food way to much power and you become less. This is my battle and my rules and I plan on winning. So can you. SO glad you are back on track!

At the end of the day, we have to live with our OWN choices and decisions. As my mother always used to tell me, when you eat poorly, you aren't fooling anyone but yourself. If I (or anyone else) stops losing weight because of poor choices, then it's our issue to deal with. My friend's sister recently told me that someone she works with has the band. She said that the woman lost a bunch of weight, but has gained a lot back. She also said that the woman told her that she's not doing anything wrong....or different. My response was.......YES she is! The band isn't failing her; she is failing the band. Weight doesn't mysteriously start reappearing, when eating controlled band size portions & counting calories. I guess some people will continue to live in denial, until they are truly ready to take another path......band or no band.

For those of you who are newly banded or to be banded, what Hockeymom did can be very dangerous to your health and to the newly sutured in place band. Picture the band as a ring around your stomach sutured into place by a few threads. 2 1/2 weeks is about the time when the surgery has almost healed but not quite. Filling your pouch with too much food can move the band or tear the sutures.

Even though the swelling has gone down, the stoma(portal) is smaller than before surgery and most new bandsters are still eating and swallowing large chunks of food that could get stuck and ruin the surgery. It takes months of re-education to learn to eat properly with the band.

As far as what she ate, it happens to most all of us, but not until the healing is over. We all make mistakes as we travel down this new road and no reason to feel guilty, it's just one day, but try to make it a day after you've healed.

tmf

For those of you who are newly banded or to be banded, what Hockeymom did can be very dangerous to your health and to the newly sutured in place band. Picture the band as a ring around your stomach sutured into place by a few threads. 2 1/2 weeks is about the time when the surgery has almost healed but not quite. Filling your pouch with too much food can move the band or tear the sutures.

Even though the swelling has gone down, the stoma(portal) is smaller than before surgery and most new bandsters are still eating and swallowing large chunks of food that could get stuck and ruin the surgery. It takes months of re-education to learn to eat properly with the band.

As far as what she ate, it happens to most all of us, but not until the healing is over. We all make mistakes as we travel down this new road and no reason to feel guilty, it's just one day, but try to make it a day after you've healed.

tmf

AGREE on all counts!

I totally agreed. Take it easy with the band, it's hard but you should be eating softer food. I'm 3 weeks and a half post op and I'm starting to eat normal food but I have already 3cc in my band and I feel horrible if I ate more than I need :( (I had one episode and I'm so afraid to this happening again that I prefer not to eat more than a cup of anything). And yesterday I found out that I started to have a running nose as soon as I needed to stop! That was a good sign. Hang in there, the good thing about the band is that everyday is a new day and with the correct adjustments, you can do it!

I'm so worried about the damage I could have done I've decided to go back to full liquids for a couple of days, just to play it safe.

For those of you who are newly banded or to be banded' date=' what Hockeymom did can be very dangerous to your health and to the newly sutured in place band. Picture the band as a ring around your stomach sutured into place by a few threads. 2 1/2 weeks is about the time when the surgery has almost healed but not quite. Filling your pouch with too much food can move the band or tear the sutures.

tmf[/quote']

Nicely said tmf

thanks for explaining tmf.. I was wondering about the damage. I'm only 3 days post OP.. but I'm, not supossed to start regular foods until after week 4. I have to do liquids and mushies first. I don't want to do anything to damage my body or band. that's very scary to me.

It's so easy to fool yourself into thinking your completely healed when your not. From day one I've had no issues, no gas pain, no incision pain, no problems eating or drinking, bowel movements as required. And losing weight with no effort. I honestly felt like eating solid food wouldn't be an issue. And honestly it wasn't. That's what so scary, it's easy for any one us to stumble during any stage. I've read where some have caved a few days in. It's reality, we all get hungry at one point and cave into our temptations. And I, like everyone else here know the consequences to it. Ive researched this surgery to the high heavens. TMF Unless your a Dr., you shouldn't be giving medical advice. This is a SUPPORT group, when we stumble, we are suppose to be like carolinagirl and mis73, and give support not medical advice. I was warned of people on here giving their medical opinions when they don't have the background. I'm seeing it first hand and seriously questioning staying on this site.

I would recommend not leaving. A lot of us are health care professionals with first hand knowledge of the dangers. I am banded, and I have treated several patients in emergent situations with bands before so sometimes we have seen what the "stumbles" can cause and opt to share that. I have no idea what TMF background is, so I only ask that you stay and absorb the support, ignore the other stuff. From PERSONAL experience I too fell off a little not long after post op... I ended up having to get a UGI and swallow study and put back on liquids for 3 additional weeks :( so even someone with first hand knowledge of the dangers makes slips... Ur back on track and I find when I have a stumble I make a big note post it on the fridge that says "remember nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" and it detours me :) after ur first fill you will have plenty of reminders, promise