Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you handle eating out? What do you order? I enjoy going out to eat at nicer restaurants but often find myself rushing to the ladies room because I can't keep my meal down... Any suggestions on what to order that most places offer and will also go down easily... I know this makes my table mates uncomfortable.. thanks

Fish or chicken is what I order. If its just me and people that know I've had weight loss surgery I order off kids meal otherwise I order dinner portions. I have found stuff on almost all menus I can do...some places are harder than others

I live in the south so for instance we have Cracker Barrel's I will oder off the kids menu and get kids grilled chicken tenders and a side or their beef stew and usually cant eat it all. My mom and I love Red Lobster and we split fried flounder there each eating 1 piece of fish and I eat a few bites of slaw and 2 bites of potatoe, Longhorn I will share with my mom again and get their salmon. Love Chick-fil-A nuggets but you said finer restaurants. I love J. Alexander's but haven't been there since being banded. Actually I haven't eaten steak since being banded, scared to death I will get stuck and the thought of gnawing on a piece of meat till its mush gags me. I mostly stick with fish or chicken wherever I go and take my time and eat tiny bites. I'm not ashamed I had surgery and will let anyone know from wait staff to whomever is with me because of the way I need to eat. I'm proud of my weight loss and what I've done and the decision I've made for myself but that is just my personality and I'm sure everyone is different.

Anything that I know should be soft. Fish, especially salmon. Pasta, slow cooked lamb shanks etc

By the way, a lot of restaurants in my town in central Florida have 1/2 portions on the adult menu. I have noticed it on 2 different chain restaurants, one of them a little more fine than the other! Sad to say, most of us banders have found steak not on our menu. I don't eat of kids menu because I don't like their choices! i do order fish or chicken when eating out. If I order chicken, I make sure it has a sauce of some sort with it. I ask for a box, as 1st thing I do is take the part I am going to eat, and then remove the part that is going home. Best wishes for a safe and pleasurable meal. Karen

Ruby Tuesdays has some good selections.. grilled salmon, tilapia, etc. creamy cauliflower and their portions are not enormous.. I also actually at at Red Robin recently. the tortilla Soup is really good, they also have wraps , chicken ceaser and others.. I just ate the insides.. I had to had a take out container..I told the waiter I couldn't eat all of my food because I had WLS, he said no way? I had it too and I have lost 150 lbs..

I can sympathize because I know from personal experience that it can be hard to concentrate on good band eating skills when you're in a restaurant or other social situation that involves food and conversation. Eventually you're going to have to master that, but in the meantime you can play it safe with Soup or the softer foods mentioned by the other people who've responded to your question. My personal favorite is to order crab cakes (usually found on the appetizer menu). I love them anyway, they're easier to eat, but more satisfying than soup.

Oh, Jean I agree, love crab cakes, but after living in Maryland for 44 years and then moving to central Florida, I can't find a decent crab cake, I keep trying tho'! So, they are, also, one of my go to "meals' for eating out!

I agree with all of the above. I can tell you somethings i do to get through. First of all i order off the regular menu. I insist on getting a take away bag to come with my meal. I immediately put food away before i begin eating to avoid over eating and grazing. Remember the rules of chew chew chew, small bites and putting the fork down. Sometimes the biggest issue for me is getting involved in conversation and not concentrating on eating and that is what gets me in trouble. Putting fork down and cutting up all of my food before i begin eating helps with that, Worst feeling to go to bathroom to get rid of it and there is a line.

Good Luck and don't stress just breathe

wendy

Sometimes I just get Soup

I tend to stay with Soup and a side salad. If I'm feeling adventourous, I'll order fish.