Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Start over? Revision to sleeve?

Im in a similar boat as you right now and i am kicking myself for not sticking with my diet since september :( it is so hard for me right now to start back but I'm mainly calorie counting since my band is empty and exercising as well. The night time is what kills me... The snacking at night im over doing it bc I'm doing well alllll day. I have to make some environmental changes at home to help myself i guess, but living with a mother brothet and boyfriend who enjoy food and not te healthiest, makes my temptations harder to resist. When i let them now that my mother continues to buy junk food (cake ice cream, baking Cookies, etc.) ughhh i meed kitchen control :( I feel like a failure and like being a size 12 was only a dream and never really happened.... Im ashamed, embarrassed to see people who know I had surgery bc I'm sure there will be side comments. Im trying to stay positive but its so hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Financially things have been hard as well so buying the right foods has also been a struggle... Its horrible that healthier food costs more. Also without money to do anything besides pay student loan debt and bills, i am home more and food ends up being enjoyable comforting fun... Someone help me I feel like I am doomed because being very very obese is in my genes on my fathers side and I refuse to look like that :( Then i think I should speak to my surgeon about a revision however all I hear from my mother and boyfriend (who is a personal trainer btw) that they don't believe in it and I should just do it all myself :( ugh sorry for the long Rant just this frustrates me every second of the day.

I understand your frustration! This is not an easy process, especially if you don't have a good support team. I may have missed something, but why is your band empty?

Why is your band empty? You getting fills is what makes lapband a tool. I'm sorry your not getting support but that's even more reason to push yourself to success. Good luck! Talk to your doctor about fills

Well you sure cant talk to them they have not been there so can not relate. You might tell them if they loved you they would help by not buying the junk food and bring it home and by going for walks and to the gym with you and make it fun. Let them know they aren't helping you do it yourself so you have to go elsewhere for help. Get some fills before you go in for more surgery.

High fat foods like ice cream will slide right through a band, and I doubt that you will find any benefit to the sleeve unless you avoid junk foods. I can eat around my band, if I choose too, and I am sure I could defeat the sleeve if I had that WLS.

What works for me is not to have anything in the house that would slow or limit the effectiveness of my band. No ice cream, no crackers, etc. But, it would be helpful if everyone you lived with would try to support you. Since my wife had the sleeve, I'm finding it a lot easier to keep on my diet.

Why would you opt for a revision? The sleeve won't stop you from eating the wrong foods or too much anymore than a band will. You're looking at bariatric surgery as if it were a governor placed on your body that completely controls your intake and that's just not how it works. Any WLS is a tool but if you don't use the tool, you won't find success.

I see posts from others who also deal with the non supportive families and I have to admit I'd struggle with the issue too. I think that this is an area that surgeons don't evaluate well enough. Some patients should be screened out or not encouraged to have WLS until they're in control of their own environment. Although, I have seen some patients who also work in a restaurant who have had WLS. Sorry, I have willpower, but not in the quantities needed to refrain from not cheating in that environment.

It must be very difficult to plan and execute a healthy eating lifestyle when you're not in control over the meal planning?

tmf

I also would be the first to admit that a lot of people in my life don't think WLS is the way to go to lose weight and become healthy. They just don't know how much I have been through struggling with my weight and the medications that I'm on in the past 5 years. Your always going to have your doubters on topics on things especially WLS. Remember that you had WLS for yourself and no one else and your taking control of your health and life. Peoples opinions mattered to me but I know what I signed up for when I had surgery on May 21st this year. Peoples negative opinions motivate me to do better and prove myself.

It all comes down to your mental attitude and being able to make the right decisions and not the wrong ones. Your the master of your mind and you fall down and you get right back up! You will have your bad days and good days.

You know you have the power to change your habits and turn everything around! It will take time but you can do it :)

-Amine

Thanks! My band is empty bc i was ill for abt 8 months and they wanted to do a endoscopy and swallow study. Im gunna go back for a fill. I just know i need to retrain my thinking and it is a tool ive used it before so ive started again