Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, I hear horror stories about Hair loss after wls surgery, did anyone experience any hair loss after being banded?

Some of my friends have told me that they lost a lot of hair when they went through the weight loss and others say they didn't lose any. I guess it has a lot to do with how quickly you lose the weight? I was banded six months ago and I've lost 40 pounds. Just recently I've noticed that the front of my hair has a notable amount of hair missing. It happened gradually I guess, and one day I just realized that it was less than I recalled. I was also not doing good with my Vitamins. Since I noticed the hair I started taking my vitamins everyday plus taking 5000 mcg of Biotin. Not sure if it's working or not but I'm not seeing less hair in that area. Either way, you won't go bald, and I guess losing the weight is more important to me than the Hair loss. Hair will grow back according to my friends that lost some.

As a hairstylist, I believe in being proactive. I strongly recommend looking into lots of solutions. Biotin works really well for some and not others, I have seen in change some people's hair types- I.e. from fine/medium to medium/coarse...hair is a total personal preference! I personally use Aveda invati system and love love love it! The Shampoo and condition help you keep the hair you have longer and the 3rd step... the revitalizer has the most active ingredients in it and increases micro circulation at the scalp. If u have more questions about t, you can for sure ask me, but let me tell you- I have definitely seen the results!! Nice to know some option and be pro- active!!:)

As a hairstylist' date=' I believe in being proactive. I strongly recommend looking into lots of solutions. Biotin works really well for some and not others, I have seen in change some people's hair types- I.e. from fine/medium to medium/coarse...hair is a total personal preference! I personally use Aveda invati system and love love love it! The Shampoo and condition help you keep the hair you have longer and the 3rd step... the revitalizer has the most active ingredients in it and increases micro circulation at the scalp. If u have more questions about t, you can for sure ask me, but let me tell you- I have definitely seen the results!! Nice to know some option and be pro- active!!:)[/quote']

Thank you!

Some of my friends have told me that they lost a lot of hair when they went through the weight loss and others say they didn't lose any. I guess it has a lot to do with how quickly you lose the weight? I was banded six months ago and I've lost 40 pounds. Just recently I've noticed that the front of my hair has a notable amount of hair missing. It happened gradually I guess' date=' and one day I just realized that it was less than I recalled. I was also not doing good with my Vitamins. Since I noticed the hair I started taking my Vitamins everyday plus taking 5000 mcg of Biotin. Not sure if it's working or not but I'm not seeing less hair in that area. Either way, you won't go bald, and I guess losing the weight is more important to me than the Hair loss. Hair will grow back according to my friends that lost some.[/quote']

ThAnk you!

Aveda make awesome products its worth a try !

Aveda make awesome products its worth a try !

I would love to see your before and after pics...you've done a lot of work, some things I am also considering!

Rapid weight loss commonly causes Hair loss. Lots of Protein, Vitamins, and Biotin can help but if you lose weight quickly your body usually reacts with some hair loss although this isn't permanent. It's just your body adjusting to the rapid change in your system. Once you have the weight off your hair should go back to normal.

Your very welcome! Do your research on whatever you decide AVEDA has some awesome before and afters photos of hair online on YouTube :) AVEDA.com or just simply google it!!

If I drop below 60 g of Protein a day for any length of time, I do notice hair loss. I have thin, fine hair anyway. I've always been paranoid about Hair loss because some of the women in my family have been nearly bald when they were old.

I just focus on increasing Protein and take Biotin. Once I get my protein up, the hair fills in pretty quickly, and I don't think anyone else really notices but me. I also tried Nioxin. It helps a little, I think. But it's really too expensive for me to use all the time.

Shelly

Hi, I just built my account last night. I don't have a surgery date yet; waiting for insurance approval. Hair loss is one of my big concerns as I have very fine hair & it's gotten very thin from the crown forward to the front, just like my Mom. I appreciate reading the suggestions here, I'm definetly going keep a list of them to try if my hair gets any thinner after I'm banded.