Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was just banded on the 23rd and will be traveling to Italy on 6/26 (so it'll be about 4 to 5 weeks being banded) I and have concerns with being in another country and the 10 hr flight...can anyone let me know if been in similar situation? And if you had any complications while away on vac?

I'm in a similar situation as I was banded on 24th of May and we are going to London on 10th of June. My plan of attack is to pack ready to drink Protein shakes in my luggage and bring pouches of tuna in Water with some Mayonnaise packets to mix together and eat right out of the pouch. Also we are renting a flat while we're there so we will be able to go to the grocery store and I'll be able to cook and store my own food. I've been to Europe before and fortunately their supermarkets are a lot like they are in the states. You will be a will to find plenty of Protein sources, Soups, Jell-O etc. The hardest part with Italy will be the food at restaurants, you'll just have to stay strong and try and make good food choices.

Good luck and have fun if you haven't been to Italy before it is amazingly beautiful.

i traveled during week three just to TN for 10 days. i had no issue at all but i was still in the USA, i did try to swim thou and that was not a good idea as it was painful as it pulled on the stomach muscles. so i just floated. walking was fine and such. GOOD LUCK!!!!! AND HAPPY VACATION!!!!! i am going to England in the fall and can not wait, my doctor told me he would be willing to let out some of the fill in order for me to eat the local cuisine and would put it back in when i return. i am still undecided about that.

There will be no problem on the plane, as it is pressurized. You may decide to take some Protein powders along as they may be hard to find. There is always lowfat milk to mix them with. Just don't go crazy and eat things you know you should not. Italy is Pasta land, so if you have not tried it before, I would not try it there. Just remember to chew, chew, chew and keep your fluids up. Stick with the diet your doctor and nutritionist gave you and take it slow. You may find that you still get tired easily so be good to yourself! Nashua Nutrition sells single serving sample packs of Protein powders that are great for traveling.

Have a fabulous trip!

I was banded in May 2012 and traveled 3 weeks later. I still had some soreness around the port (it was an active vacation) but overall I was ok. No issues on the plane. I agree w/ the other posters who say just be careful what you eat. Follow your doc's plans. I didn't tell anyone I was with about the surgery and no one could tell anything was different. Have fun!

I do struggle when I fly. The extended sitting and my band is more sensitive. I have to be very careful first day to keep it soft and or liquids. After a day it calms down for me. Could also be slight dehydration for my band to act up nonce it is irritated I have to ever vigilant for a day. Even my doctor mentions this a lot

i traveled during week three just to TN for 10 days. i had no issue at all but i was still in the USA' date=' i did try to swim thou and that was not a good idea as it was painful as it pulled on the stomach muscles. so i just floated. walking was fine and such. GOOD LUCK!!!!! AND HAPPY VACATION!!!!! i am going to England in the fall and can not wait, my doctor told me he would be willing to let out some of the fill in order for me to eat the local cuisine and would put it back in when i return. i am still undecided about that.[/quote']

Good luck on vacation. I did have a slight unfill before an extended vacation to Europe not sure I would do that again. It took me awhile to get back on track. Very slippery slope I personally think. Fun great time. But those old habits can rear their head

im going to cancun in august and have had the same concerns! m not worried about the plane so much as what im gonna be able to eat! im thinking of getting a small unfill before i go,just so when we are out eating,i wont be running for the bathroom to vomit!!

im going to cancun in august and have had the same concerns! m not worried about the plane so much as what im gonna be able to eat! im thinking of getting a small unfill before i go' date='just so when we are out eating,i wont be running for the bathroom to vomit!![/quote']

I went to Cancun right after my surgery. I had surgery in Dec and went to Cancun right after. I was able to eat fine and my body told me when to stop. I used to eat everything on my plate but now I'm able to stop.

You will do fine and have fun!

i am one of the lucky few that i have absolutely no restrictions on what i can eat. if i eat to fast then i have to run towards the bathroom to vomit but other then that i am good to go. my doctors are amazed that i have no issues with any type of food at all. i tend to not eat out frequently because of that fact but i do go out occasionally but lesser and lesser now that i make all my own healthy less processed foods at home.