Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Too Much After Band But Before First Fill !!!

Hi everyone, i was banded on april 24th and i am very curious with something. I think that i didn't have any kind of esophagus swelling very common after surgery and the healing process is 100%. I am feeling very, very good.

Right know i am making about 4 meals per day, at lunch and dinner i am being able to eat around 1 pound or a little bit less of soft food feeling full after but feeling ok.

Is "one pound" of soft food normal for some people before the first fill or i am definitively eating too much ?

Thanks a lot, any comment will be truly appreciated. BTW, i am a man 6.4" tall and large bones. :) :) :rant:

Hi, I was banded on 3/14/06 My first fill is not until 5/03/06 and I know I can eat more than the 4oz of food a meal they want us to eat but I do what they say mostly weigh 4ounzes and only eat that 1lb a meal seems a lot and im 300 lbs now down 25.

4 OZ meal it's about 112 grams, that seems a little bit unrealistic for me. If people start weighting their food on a scale, they will see that.

The pouch is actually calibrated to hold about 4 oz of food in the beginning. Will soft foods move through and allow for more?? Yep. Try using only a dessert plate or a cup to eat out of. This will help with Portion Control, at least.

One of the more knowledgeable fill nurses, Jessie Ahroni, out of WA state has this theory about how 'it's not how much you CAN eat, it's more about seeing how 'little' you can get by with'. I know, easier said than done, but we did embark on this journey to lose weight, right?? :) Welcome! Don't be too tough on yourself. Don't weight and measure, use the guides, like a cup or saucer and don't go back for seconds. Eat what is on your current list of 'allowed' foods and you'll do fine!

I am not taking 4 pounds of food a day, 2 of the meals are only one SlimFast drink. 1 pound or less it's only on the lunch and on dinner it's about 2/3 of a pound of food.

I seem to be doing the same thing. If I eat the small amounts, I'm hungry again in an hour, then want to binge. If I eat a little more, it satisfies me a little longer. I hate this no restriction stuff. This has been so hard for me. I also can't seem to find a Protein Drink that goes down without me wanting to puke. I ordered some samples and will be trying a couple today. Maybe once I find a decent one I can use it more as a Meal Replacement.< /p>

I really liked comment in Leatha's post that it's not how much we CAN eat but how little we can get by with. I'm trying to adopt that attitude, but it is hard!

Emily

In my own experience, the more I eat increases the drive to eat more. The less I eat, the more sucess I have at moving toward my goal.

I actually find the same thing. It's kind of bizarre.

It's not unusual that you are able to eat more than you think you should right now. The band is just sitting there, and without restriction, many people are able to eat as much, or nearly as much as they did before surgery, which is incredibly frustrating. People choose to handle this different ways of course. The basic ways I've seen, are to a) eat however they want until they start getting fills, :confused: eat less even though they might want to eat more, c) diet. Any of those ways are fine, it all just depends on the person.

I can't picture what a pound of food looks like. I don't weigh my food. For the most part, I go on serving sizes, and how many calories I want to eat for each meal.

How many calories do you figure you are getting in per day?

I was banded on 4/20/06 and find the same thing with amounts. I can eat pretty much what I want, but can only hold about 1/3 of what I did before being banded. In 12 days I've lost 10 pounds, so somethings working. From what I read, apparently the portion size will change significantly after the first fill. I'm really satisfied with how things are progressing. I too was surprised that I was eating more than the 4 ozs to be satisfied, but to be honest, this is a little less shocking and traumatic as I had anticipated, so I'm happy to adjust to this point and wait for the next step with my first fill. Good Luck !!