Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone!

I'm three days out from surgery and feeling pretty good. I had some gas issues yesterday in my shoulders and lower back. My port sight is really sore and really tender. I was able shower today! Thank the lord! I thought I was going to go nuts!

So I have been able to take Jello, chicken broth Water, yogurt and Water. Still trying to figure out the sensation of being hungry while I'm healing. The only signs I'm getting is my stomach growls really loud and I feel pressure build up and it gives me pain in my lower back until the pressure releases and the pain goes away! Has anyone felt that before in the first few days?

Other than all that I'm doing pretty good and taking each day really slow!

Congratulations on the surgery!

I didn't have the exact same feeling, but I thought it felt like gas rising from my abdomen, along side my esophagus, and then to my upper back/shoulder. It last until about 4-5 days post op. I'm sure yours will be gone soon. Congrats!

Hey fellow May 21st bandster! I finally showered today as well. I am regaining my appetite slowly but surely. Trying to eat as slow as possible, but when I do start to eat (and it's not a lot- -- a spoonful at a tme), my stomach begins to growl angrily. I am on to mushy foods, so today I attempted to eat some tuna and cottage cheese (not at the same time obviously), but i don't know if the growling is food not sitting well with my stomach, or if it's just my stomach adjusting to food since i haven't eaten much since today.

I had my surgery on the 21st as well. I've been dealing with the same gas pains. I have an electric throw that I've been using and it seems to help a little bit.

My port site was very tender for at least a week. Gas pains lasted about the same. I never had back pain, but definitely the shoulder/neck area. It will pass, walk as much and often as you can. Another thing that I did was like windmill my arms while walking and even shoulder shrugs. Not sure if it helped or not but I did it Lol. My stomach growled like crazy for about 3 or 4 days. But, I was on purée at that point and was able to eat a little and it went away. Depending On how long you are on liquids the growling might stick around! Lol good luck! Sounds like you are doing great and are right on track!!

Thanks everyone for giving me a little insight on what issues you guys have had. The start to today has been awesome! I actually had an BM!! Never felt so good lmao. I drank a full Protein Shake for Breakfast and didn't have any issue getting it down just took it really slow! No gas pains so far today! I'm still feeling pain when I try to burp is that normal 4 days post op?

Today is my day 3 post-op. the gas feeling seems to be subsiding today. Starting on Protein fortified skim milk.

Have made fat free pudding (with Protein fortified skim milk) - hope that works well. I will just be happy if the gas pain goes away!

Yes, the painful burping (or lack of ability to burp) was something I went through too! I'm 2 weeks out now, and it's a lot better. I still do it sometimes, but it doesn't hurt like it used to. Trust me, everything you're experiencing now isn't permanent. I was so scared that the painful burping and gas pain was something I was stuck with for good, but it's only the recovery phase. I still have the painful burping thing, but it is very few and far between. I think everything is still just settling in. ;)

I had my surgery the 21st as well. So glad I saw this thread! These gas pains are driving me nuts. ;) it's always good to hear what others are experiencing. They are getting better tho.

How is everyone's appetite in general?

I get hungry every couple of hours, but I only eat a few bites of tuna or cottage cheese and I'm satisfied. Today I had Soup (put Protein in it) and then some apple sauce. But I do feel hunger. I just worry about eating too frequently! Stomach continues to rumble... rumbles when I eat cottage cheese... sometimes when I eat tuna... Is THAT how my stomach reacts to bad food, or am I just gassy?

Wow! Real food already? How long ago was your surgery?

I am on Clear liquids for two days post op, the full liquids (which includes Protein enriched skim milk, yogurt, and non fat pudding made with Protein enriched skim milk) for TWO weeks. I don't get to "mashable" foods until in the second post op week! I know every doc does it differently, but......

I had surgery on 5/14. I am still on liquids. I dont advance my diet for another 5 days. I then go to pureed. I have to admit that I am fighting hunger twinges.

Wow! Real food already? How long ago was your surgery?

I am on Clear Liquids for two days post op, the full liquids (which includes Protein enriched skim milk, yogurt, and non fat pudding made with Protein enriched skim milk) for TWO weeks. I don't get to "mashable" foods until in the second post op week! I know every doc does it differently, but......

My surgery was May 21st... I was advanced to stage 2 (mushy/pureed food) the day I got discharged. Every doctor has their own rules and reasoning, that's one thing you'll learn on these boards! There are even some people on here that didn't have to do a 2-week pre-op liquid diet. I guess it varies on the person, their health, and recovery.

I am scheduled for 5/29. I've had to do a 2 week, pre-op liquid diet. I was told as soon as I come home (and for a month from there) will be on puréed foods. I'm looking forward to it because I am so tired of Protein Shakes and jello! I need new flavors!